Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: American Culture

Re: Citizen Kane & Hitchcock

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    I am most willing to count Cary Grant as American if you are I wish we had a few men like him nowadays!
    I actually don't like Cary Grant, you know. And I don't understand how on earth women could be crazy about him. But I do like another favourite Hitchcock's actor - James Stewart.
    He's always referred to as Jimmy....if you said "I like James Stewart's movies" people might not understand who you're referring to.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

Завсегдатай

Re: Citizen Kane & Hitchcock

Quote Originally Posted by sperk
    He's always referred to as Jimmy....if you said "I like James Stewart's movies" people might not understand who you're referring to.
    Ничего не поняла.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Re: American Culture

Он говорит, что редко люды знают такого актера "James Stewart", они знают его по прозвище "Jimmy". не знаю, если это так...
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Он говорит, что редко люди знают (мало кто знает) такого актера "James Stewart", они знают его по прозвищу "Jimmy". Не знаю, так ли это...
    Аааа.
    Ну вот, а кто-то еще меня уверяет, что американская культура не поверхностная.
    Даже представить не могу, чтобы мы знали Табакова или Янковского под именем "Олежка".

Но вообще-то сомнительно, что если я скажу в Америке "I like Jimmy's movies", все прям сразу поймут, что я имею в виду Джеймса Стюарта.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

[quote=Оля]
    Quote Originally Posted by "kalinka_vinnie":1pvrw9hl
    Он говорит, что редко люди знают (мало кто знает) такого актера "James Stewart", они знают его по прозвищу "Jimmy". Не знаю, так ли это...
    Аааа.
    Даже представить не могу, чтобы мы знали Табакова или Янковского под именем "Олежка".

Но вообще-то сомнительно, что если я скажу в Америке "I like Jimmy's movies", все прям сразу поймут, что я имею в виду Джеймса Стюарта.[/quote:1pvrw9hl]

Wow, I didn't realize this was so difficult. The actor James Stewart is referred to as Jimmy Stewart 99.99% of the time you hear his name. "Jimmy" is not a nickname; he is not referred to as "Jimmy", rather Jimmy Stewart. If you say "I like Jimmy's movies" no one will know who you are talking about.
    My whole point was that Olya said she liked James Stewart's movies and I wanted to point out that that sounds kind of formal. You would say "I like Jimmy Stewart's movies."
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    [Аааа.

Но вообще-то сомнительно, что если я скажу в Америке "I like Jimmy's movies", все прям сразу поймут, что я имею в виду Джеймса Стюарта.
    Оля, I knew what you meant and I hope you knew what I meant. James Stewart/Jimmy Stewart same person, same great actor.

When I logged on this morning and saw your post about Citizen Kane and Hitchcock and that you are watching The Search For John Gissing, I was so pleased as there was something on the forums that I knew something about. I went to college for film and both of my daughters are in the entertaiment industry. If you ever have any questions about films, please let me know.

I didn't mean to cause a problem. Rockzmom.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    If you ever have any questions about films, please let me know.
    Sure I have! Look at my signature...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123