Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Culture

Властелин

American Culture

For folks who lived else where and then moved to the USA. What is American culture? For folks who have never been here, what do you think American culture is?

Just a curious American,

Scott

Завсегдатай
    I myself have never been there, but heard and saw and know alot about this country. I like most of the things and events of its culture and history, excluding killing the Indeans, harming the athmosphere and some modern political ambitions of democratizating of all the countries which never asked for it. Dispite it all I love the way this country was created - of many different nations - their cultures and traditions. It's hard to count everything, but the first things which comes to mind are the country music, Walt Whitman, Hollywood - I simply like it. I think the American culture was combined of the cultures of many other countries, but then it became an origin of its own culture and its own way of life.
    I love the flag.
    Я так думаю.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I think of American culture as the land of fast food and parking lots and of the segregation of the youth from the rest of society with a ridiculously high drinking age.. I feel that the latter has a large impact on American culture.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Ernest Hemingway, Kurt Vonnegut, Mark Twain, that's about all I know about American culture.

Oh, maybe Charlie Chaplin fits too.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Ernest Hemingway, Kurt Vonnegut, Mark Twain, that's about all I know about American culture.

Oh, maybe Charlie Chaplin fits too.
    And Elvis too.
    some other things came on my mind - amish people (I like them very much), federal architectural style, screaming American "Victorian" decorations and interiors (I mean Tiffani's stained glasses and American Modern, and the Architecture of that time), also the небоскрёбы - high towers wich are so typical for American business city landscape, such buildings' style takes its roots in America.
    Я так думаю.

The Americans have mastered the only skill of making money. They have to import everything else.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

ST
    The bear looked at the car, and reflections of fire danced in his eyes. He knew what to do.

В Америке все старики (65+) полностью обеспечены хорошим жильём, медициной (включая операции на сердце), деньгами, которых вполне хватает на всё остальное. В этом году в Иллинойсе добавляется бесплатный проезд в общественном транспорте. Все входы и выходы (в жилых домах, магазинах, ресторанах, театрах, транспорте) доступны инвалидам на моторизованных креслах-скутерах, которые выдаются всем нуждающимся. К сожалению, народу в домах для престарелых дают только обычные инвалидные коляски.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

ST
    ну, наверно это не только в США, а во всех развитых странах мира (исключая бывшие страны СССР)? В Японии, я читал, пенсионеры-самый обеспеченный класс, могут путешествовать по миру, помогать финансово детям и тп...
    The bear looked at the car, and reflections of fire danced in his eyes. He knew what to do.

Banned

Re: American Culture

Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    For folks who have never been here, what do you think American culture is?
    - Хороший фильм Мосты округа Мэдисон, основанный на одноименном романе Роберта Джеймса Уоллера.
    - Смешная традиция делать какую-нибудь аморальную бяку, а потом публично просить прощения за это (губернатор штата Нью-Йорк, спортсменка Мэрион Джонс, Билл Клинтон).
    - Смешная традиция у боксёров хвастаться перед боем.
    - Агрессивность внешней политики США наводит на мысль о несамодостаточности этой страны.

Завсегдатай
    Today I've heard on the TV an American office worker who was speaking about "Lehman Brothers": "I regret that this oldest firm, which is a part of American culture, became bankrupt".
    The idea of a bank being a part of culture sounds very strange to me. I can't even imagine a situation where I could say that Сбербанк (the oldest Russian bank which is 167 years old) is a part of Russian culture. It sounds like a complete rubbish to me.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай
    There's no unanimous definition of "culture", so no wonder.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Для тебя нормально звучит "Сбербанк - это часть русской культуры"?
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

To me, the modern American culture is first and foremost Hollywood and the reality shows. Also, the intense promotion of the "values" just about everywhere and by everyone. (And yes, I very very much dislike Dr. Phil. )

And the real American culture to me is Mark Twain, etc.

And America in general is a comfortable place to live.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Для тебя нормально звучит "Сбербанк - это часть русской культуры"?
    Это зависит от того, какой круг понятий входит в культуру. Если ты считаешь только духовные ценности, то будут входить духовные ценности. Хотя, банки — это действительно странно.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Today I've heard on the TV an American office worker who was speaking about "Lehman Brothers": "I regret that this oldest firm, which is a part of American culture, became bankrupt".
    The idea of a bank being a part of culture sounds very strange to me. I can't even imagine a situation where I could say that Сбербанк (the oldest Russian bank which is 167 years old) is a part of Russian culture. It sounds like a complete rubbish to me.
    A person that works in the banking/financial world might think that Lehman Brothers is part of American culture. I do not agree. I do not work in the banking/financial field. The idea of a bank being a part of culture sounds very strange to me also.

Scott

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    To me, the modern American culture is first and foremost Hollywood and the reality shows. Also, the intense promotion of the "values" just about everywhere and by everyone. (And yes, I very very much dislike Dr. Phil. )

And the real American culture to me is Mark Twain, etc.

And America in general is a comfortable place to live.
    It's sad to say but I agree that for some people modern American culture is Hollywood.

I'm curious what intense promotion of the "values" just about everywhere and by everyone are you referring to you? (I've lived my whole life in the USA). I've never watched Dr. Phil - nor do I ever intend too!

I get the impression that the Midwest is the place for Mark Twain to influence the culture more than the coasts.

And yes, America in general is a comfortable place to live.

Scott

Завсегдатай
    I'm curious what intense promotion of the "values" just about everywhere and by everyone are you referring to you? (I've lived my whole life in the USA). I've never watched Dr. Phil - nor do I ever intend too!
    I guess he mean how everyone is always trying to tell you how to live your life. I used to watch Jerry Springer when I was like 11 and even after naked midget fights at the end of the show Jerry would always have a "final thought" where he would reflect on the "values" and "lessons" learned during that show.

I guess basically he was saying they aren't conveying real values, or that they don't pertain to everyone. But correct me if I'm wrong.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    I guess he mean how everyone is always trying to tell you how to live your life. I guess basically he was saying they aren't conveying real values, or that they don't pertain to everyone. But correct me if I'm wrong.
    You're right. In addition, everyone's trying to say only the right things:

- Do you like that girl?
    - Yes, she's fun-and-smart-and-sexy.

- What do you want to do?
    - I want to travel the world, see new people, make new friends.

- How did it go?
    - Oh, it was so much fun! (Or, alternatively, "I learned a lot from that unpleasant experience.")

- I'm pregnant, what should I do?
    - You should just talk to him.

- How should I react?
    - Just be yourself.

And so on. That makes everything a little predictable.

And what is Russian culture to Americans?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast