Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 81

Thread: выпим тут, может быть там не дадут

  1. #1
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    9

    выпим тут, может быть там не дадут

    When I mentioned the problem of drinking vodka and moonshine in Russia with some Russians, I received quite strong reactions. I was accused of defaming Russians and frowned upon because of believing reporters who just want to vilify Russia. The people got quite angry, although my purpose was not to criticize at all. What's the problem here? Excess drinking is a problem in Russia, that's a fact, and Russians know it themselves. One of the subjects which should not be discussed with Russians?

  2. #2
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't drink vodka, wine, cognac, anything stronger than beer.
    I drink beer very rarely.
    I drink cola, kvas, tea, juice.
    Who am I?
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19
    выпьем тут, может быть, там не дадут
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  4. #4
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    766
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: выпим тут, может быть там не дадут

    Quote Originally Posted by paasikivi
    When I mentioned the problem of drinking vodka and moonshine in Russia with some Russians, I received quite strong reactions. I was accused of defaming Russians and frowned upon because of believing reporters who just want to vilify Russia. The people got quite angry, although my purpose was not to criticize at all. What's the problem here? Excess drinking is a problem in Russia, that's a fact, and Russians know it themselves. One of the subjects which should not be discussed with Russians?
    That is the problem of audience which you say it. You deal probably mainly with educated people who have not such problems and don't really understand what the hell do you worry about it. Especially because it is well known in Russia that Finnish people are anybody but abstainers themselves. Btw, is there still prohibition in Finland? Nevertheless, I have to admit, that the problem exist, and it is big, espacially in villages. But I am not sure, that it is all concern of foreigners.

    PS. I personally drink red wine only.
    Could you please occasionally correct my stupid errors!
    Korrigiert bitte ab und zu meine dummen Fehler!

  5. #5
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: выпим тут, может быть там не дадут

    Quote Originally Posted by Guin

    That is the problem of audience which you say it. You deal probably mainly with educated people who have not such problems and don't really understand what the hell do you worry about it. Especially because it is well known in Russia that Finnish people are anybody but abstainers themselves. Btw, is there still prohibition in Finland? Nevertheless, I have to admit, that the problem exist, and it is big, espacially in villages. But I am not sure, that it is all concern of foreigners.
    I'm sure also educated people read papers and know the situation in their country even better than foreigners.

    Finns drink quite a lot too, but of course that doesn't reduce the problem in Russia. The prohibition was ended in 1932 after a referendum.

    Thanks for correcting me Olga!

  6. #6
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm sure also educated people read papers and know the situation in their country even better than foreigners.
    Russians aren't the worst drunkards in the world. I guess French are according to some studies I read a long ago. In the countryside, ok, yeah, I admit. And you know what? When Finns or Englishmen or Aussies or Americans come to us, they drink really HARD. They're very funny to look at. A fine-looking gentleman from the UK turns into something indescribable. Russians don't drink that much
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

  7. #7
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    10
    in my girlfriends home town she said a lot of them drink samogon because its cheaper and apparently their recipes aren't so bad. still, whenever i hear samogon i just imagine some dirty bomsh completely wasted. although, down there alcoholism is massive, its like there's nothing to do but drink, its a shame really
    Не откладывай на завтра того, с кем можешь переспать сегодня
    --------
    http://england-moscow.com/

  8. #8
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Литва, Europe!
    Posts
    92
    Rep Power
    9
    Degtinė, Ei, mums patinka gerti degtinę! hehe
    Vodka, Oh we like to drink vodka!

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    You guys are totally missing the point and it is due to culture differences. Here are a few points:

    - Samogon is NOT moonshine in the Western sense. It is home-made vodka and can be much better than what you buy in the store. You go to a village, and every household has their own recipe and apparatus. There is nothing dirty about it.
    - When Russians drink, they drink properly. They eat with every drink and that dilutes the effect of alcohol. Unless there is a good reason, the vast majority of the "drinkers" do not drink themselves to a stupor at every opportunity. I have been blessed with inside knoweldge of village life. Even though everybody drinks, some even for breakfast (!), they don't go around raving drunk all day. They actually pace themselves. And always EAT eat eat. Dinners can last for several hours, where they are doing shots left and right, but they do not get drunk! Because they eat! And they pace themselves!
    - In the Western idea (I don't want to pick on anybody, I have been most places) is that you drink every day - you are an alcoholic. Listen up, the French aren't alcoholics, although they have a glass of wine for dinner every day. You have a beer for dinner every day, you aren't an alcoholic. It is the second and third glass that is what gets you.
    - When foreigners go to the "east" (slavic countries) they expect drinking binges and wild parties, well I tell you, you have to look for it. Most of my russian friends don't touch the stuff and the people raving in the street are mostly foreigners. And you have the impression that all Russians are drunks? What do you think the Russians think of you!

    My thoughts on the matter!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    Probably foreighners think all Russians are drunkards because they see a lot of people drinking in the streets (mostly beer). Well, Russians like to drink outdoors, closer to nature, so to speak. It doesn't mean they drink all the time.
    Sometimes I don't drink at all for months but when I do I prefer to do it outdoors especially if the weather is fine. (I'm not talking here about "great celebrations" like birthday party or New Year celebration ).

  11. #11
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,624
    Rep Power
    31
    Мы с братом иногда делали самогонку: сахар, свежие дрожжи и кипячённая, отстоянная вода в большой эмалированной выварке. Это было в городе, в доме на четвёртом этаже. После трёх недель (не помню точно) брожения брага варилась, конденсат медленно процеживался через порошок активированного угля. Получался ооочень крепкий алкоголь. Запах перебивался растворимым кофе или калиновой настойкой. Мы часто ездили в походы на выходные и самогонкой экономили деньги. Вино, конечно, покупали.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  12. #12
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    766
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Мы с братом иногда делали самогонку: сахар, свежие дрожжи и кипячённая, отстоянная вода в большой эмалированной выварке. Это было в городе, в доме на четвёртом этаже. После трёх недель (не помню точно) брожения брага варилась, конденсат медленно процеживался через порошок активированного угля. Получался ооочень крепкий алкоголь. Запах перебивался растворимым кофе или калиновой настойкой. Мы часто ездили в походы на выходные и самогонкой экономили деньги. Вино, конечно, покупали.
    Вот ведь, русские! Любой серьёзный разговор на выпивку сведут.
    Could you please occasionally correct my stupid errors!
    Korrigiert bitte ab und zu meine dummen Fehler!

  13. #13
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    RedMountain
    Posts
    564
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: выпим тут, может быть там не дадут

    Quote Originally Posted by paasikivi
    Excess drinking is a problem in Russia
    It’s not a problem, it’s a solution.

  14. #14
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    - When Russians drink, they drink properly. They eat with every drink and that dilutes the effect of alcohol.
    I think eating merely slows down the rate at which alcohol acts upon the body but eventually it will act. Eating cannot help against for example liver problems.

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by paasikivi
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    - When Russians drink, they drink properly. They eat with every drink and that dilutes the effect of alcohol.
    I think eating merely slows down the rate at which alcohol acts upon the body but eventually it will act. Eating cannot help against for example liver problems.
    That be true. The health effects from drinking can not be solved by eating. I was merely explaining the drunkeness part.
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  16. #16
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Novosibirsk
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by paasikivi
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    - When Russians drink, they drink properly. They eat with every drink and that dilutes the effect of alcohol.
    I think eating merely slows down the rate at which alcohol acts upon the body but eventually it will act. Eating cannot help against for example liver problems.
    That's why people get angry - you try to involve them in talks on problems they do not have. No wonder.

  17. #17
    Завсегдатай Basil77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moscow reg.
    Posts
    2,549
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: выпим тут, может быть там не дадут

    Quote Originally Posted by DagothWarez
    Quote Originally Posted by paasikivi
    Excess drinking is a problem in Russia
    It’s not a problem, it’s a solution.
    I appreciate your humor, DagothWarez, but too many people really think so...
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

  18. #18
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Финляндия
    Posts
    69
    Rep Power
    9
    I myself have understood that the Russian population is diminishing because of tuberculosis and excessive drinking. Us Finns aren't really the best people to judge anyone, though. I don't know where being drunk and noisy in public places is more common or more widely accepted.
    I'm but a beginner in Russian, so please correct me.
    However, I'm supposed to be good in English, so if you correct me there, I become very angry! Grr!
    And if you, for some reason, need help in Finnish, I'm glad to help.

  19. #19
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    0
    s diminishing because of tuberculosis and excessive drinking
    Because of low birth rate, I'd say.
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

  20. #20
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    s diminishing because of tuberculosis and excessive drinking
    Because of low birth rate, I'd say.
    Your point being that Russians aren't replacing turbocolsis victims and alcohol related deaths fast enough?
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Все, что может быть интересного
    By Paperplane in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
  3. Кто нибудь может
    By Remyisme in forum Говорим по-русски
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: October 2nd, 2006, 11:34 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 23rd, 2006, 03:28 PM
  5. Может кто подскажет?!
    By Ger in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 5th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary