Thread: Privyet, everybody!

Подающий надежды оратор Nichole.'s Avatar

Privyet, everybody!

My name is Nichole and I'm 14 years old. I'm from Philadelphia, PA and I've been studying for about a month now.

Despite people saying it is easy and flexible... Russian is hard and confusing, but there is no stopping me!

I hope to become fluent eventually and I hope I'll get alot of help on this forum.

If you see me around here, feel free to give constructive criticism!

Thanks!
    First Fluent Language: American English
    Written Fluency Only: Español, Français
    Currently Studying: Русский язык
    Interested In: Íslenska, Język polski, Eesti keeles, português brasileiro, Norske språk
    Languages I Hate: British English, 汉语, Esperanto, Filipino, Afrikaans, Cymraeg

Привет Nichole and welcome to the forums!

Почтенный гражданин Demonic_Duck's Avatar
    привет Никоул!

I wish I'd got into studying languages at your age, it's supposed to be a lot easier when you're younger. I was never really interested until the past year, and I'm already 20. When I took German at school I didn't pay much attention!

Of the languages that you mention in your signature, I'm also interested in learning Icelandic and Polish. I only know a very small amount of Icelandic, and virtually no Polish, and I don't want to "taint" my Russian studies by taking up other languages and confusing myself! I do think Icelandic is a very beautiful sounding language.
    Демоническая Утка
    Носитель английского языка, учу русский язык.
    Пожалуйста, исправьте мои сообщения!

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

@ Demonic_Duck,

Yea, lots of people say it's easier for young people, but I always assumed that they meant toddlers and infants, not teenagers!

I actually started learning two languages at once because I live in a very Hispanic part of town. I actually learned how to count to ten in Spanish before I did in English, hehe... so I guess that's where my love of languages come from.

Also, I really, really, really want to learn Polish right now (and I heard it's somewhat easier when you already know Russian) but like you, I'm kinda afraid to sabotage my Russian so far.
    Interested In: Íslenska, Język polski, Eesti keeles, português brasileiro, Norske språk

Новичок
    Privjet, kak dela?
    Sorry in advance for my English... generally, the earlier you start to learn foreign languages, the easier! Because the human brain forms from birth and about until 16-19 years. Therefore it's better and earlier to put more stuff as long as your brain not formed. But children and teenagers have another kind of learning then adult, more intuitively - like hear, see, feel and sing. Start with hear Russian or Polish songs, then try to sing, and finally translate this song. Do it only in this order: hear -> sing -> translate.

Хорошо, спасибо. Как дела?

I actually listen to t.A.T.u alot and I try to sing along but some words are just hard... my mouth isn't used to the consonant clusters that come along with Russian. In English, you can only go so long in a word before you have to put in a vowel sound. It's completely different in Russian. :smile:

As well as the soft sound and hard sound. And ы is just not made for Americans.

Wow, only 14 and doing it on your own. Best of luck. BTW, there are a lot of Russians in NE Philly.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

Thanks.

I actually go to school up there and all I ever hear is Russian on the bus and in school.

Почтенный гражданин Demonic_Duck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by serik85 View Post
    Privjet, kak dela?
    Sorry in advance for my English... generally, the earlier you start to learn foreign languages, the easier! Because the human brain forms from birth and about until 16-19 years. Therefore it's better and earlier to put more stuff as long as your brain not formed. But children and teenagers have another kind of learning then adult, more intuitively - like hear, see, feel and sing. Start with hear Russian or Polish songs, then try to sing, and finally translate this song. Do it only in this order: hear -> sing -> translate.
    Try learning "пусть бегут неуклюже" from the soviet children's show Чебурашка (Cheburashka). It's a really great song and easy to learn.
    Демоническая Утка
    Носитель английского языка, учу русский язык.
    Пожалуйста, исправьте мои сообщения!

Новичок
    Я люблю Купала и Кострома от Арконы.

Спасибо за ссылку за Чебурашу, то хорошо за новые студенты. (Простите, Я знаю по-русскии только немного.) Привет Никоул! Ваше имя также моё имя.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Удачи вам Николь!
    I wish I begun learning Russian at your age, but you seem a lot more mature than I was at 14.

PS. I am also interested in Swedish! I tried to start learning it myself a couple of months ago but it was hurting my Russian, so I quit I hope I can learn it in the future though!

Новичок
    Привет Николь!
    I am from Russia. I'm 15 years old. I study English in school and wont to help you study Russian! my skipe is: manyachka95
    I hope to talk with you