Thread: New here

Почётный участник

New here

Hello everyone,

I'm studying Russian on my own, using Russian, from 1983 by Ben T. Clark. It's very slow going and I have a lot of questions. I'm afraid I'll have little to contribute to the forum, for now at least, except questions; but maybe my questions will help someone else too, who knows?

I have no good reason to torture myself with Russian. I'm nearly 50 years old and have no Russian blood. My daughter was doing a school project on alphabets of the world and we both somehow found the Russian alphabet fascinating. She learned it right away by heart and I just couldn't until I found a Russian Sesame Street video on YouTube. I got some tapes to try to learn the phonetics, then found this grammar book and started working through it at the end of December. My wife says if I can learn to speak Russian before our 25th wedding anniversary, we can go to St. Petersburg instead of our planned trip up the Rhine (she's from Strasbourg). Our anniversary is in two years so the race is on.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Z

Властелин
    We'll support you!

Good luck. Z!

This forum has a number of people who are great with answering questions and pointing learners of Russian in the right direction. Ask away!

Hi, Z.! Welcome!
    Please, fill free to ask your questions.
    But you do could contribute tremendously to our forum if you'd sometimes correct some of our errors in English anywhere you'd spot them.
    Thank you in advance!
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Почётный участник
    Thanks to all for your encouragement. I'd be happy to correct any English errors I find. I taught English here in the US and in Italy.

Though I said I have no good reason to be studying Russian, I realized after I wrote that I really do. Anna Akhmatova. I've read everything I can find by her and about her (in English) and I would love to be able to appreciate her in Russian.

I'll start posting questions tomorrow.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    ... I realized after I wrote that I really do. Anna Akhmatova. I've read everything I can find by her and about her (in English) and I would love to be able to appreciate her in Russian....
    Z
    Анна Ахматова

Почётный участник
    Good heavens, Lampada, an online Anna Akhmatova festival! What a thread! Some day I hope to be able to understand it. Thank you.

Z