Thread: Help in Translation

Help in Translation

Hi Guys,

I need a quote translated in Russian. I am still studying the language so I need your help to translate this English phrase:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another to live for mine."

Thanks a lot,
    Lucho

Властелин
    That will be something like "Я клянусь своей жизнью и своей любовью к этому, что я никогда не буду ни жить ради другого человека, ни просить других жить ради меня."

But such swearing is too extreme and not very smart anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    But such swearing is too extreme and not very smart anyway.
    The quote is from Atlas Shrugged -- the title of which can be literally translated as Атлант пожал плечами. (However, according to wikipedia, the "official" Russian translation of the novel is Атлант расправил плечи, which literally means something like "Atlas unbent his shoulders.")

But anyway, the "symbolic meaning" of the title, in the context of the novel, is closer to Атлант сказал "На х** с этим!" и покинул (Atlas said "F*ck this sh*t!" and walked away).

So, "extreme swearing" is rather appropriate!
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

P.S. Ayn Rand was born Алиса Зиновьевна Розенбаум, and a few literary critics have argued that it's possible to interpret Atlas Shrugged as being, on some psychological level, her answer/reaction to the antisemitism she must have experienced as a young girl in Russia. As one critic put it, "the Aryan-looking heroes of Atlas Shrugged actually do that which Jews have so often been accused of: running the world."

So, if one takes accepts this interpretation, then an "alternate title" for the novel could be A Secret Cabal of Unfairly Persecuted Wealthy Geniuses Successfully Conspires to Bring Down World Governments, But None of Them Are Jews.

(Секретная клика богатых гениев, потерпев несправедливое гонение, успевает тайно устроить гибели правительств по всему миру -- но в ней ни одного ж*да нету.)

Подающий надежды оратор
    "На х** с этим!" не верно.
    Правильнее "Ну х** с этим!"
    Красив, умен, слегка сутул,
    набит мировоззрением,
    вчера в себя я заглянул
    и вышел с омерзением.

ЗЗЫ: More "humorous alternate titles" for famous books:

Apparently, the Shakespeare play is intended to be As You Like It, but "crossdressing" (травести) also "saves the day" in other Shakespeare comedies, such as Merchant of Venice.

The images are from this site, which is slow-loading, but has some other funny examples (English-language books are overrepresented, however).

Hi Throbert. Can you give me a full translation of the phrase?

Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    The quote is from Atlas Shrugged -- the title of which can be literally translated as Атлант пожал плечами. (However, according to wikipedia, the "official" Russian translation of the novel is Атлант расправил плечи, which literally means something like "Atlas unbent his shoulders.")

But anyway, the "symbolic meaning" of the title, in the context of the novel, is closer to Атлант сказал "На х** с этим!" и покинул (Atlas said "F*ck this sh*t!" and walked away).

So, "extreme swearing" is rather appropriate!

Can you give me a more pleasant translation of the quote?