Thread: hello I'm a frustrated Russophile

Новичок

hello I'm a frustrated Russophile

Hello, my name is Harrison. I studied Russian in college ages ago, when the Soviet Union was known as the "evil empire." I'm from Memphis, which is only forty miles from Moscow--Tennessee, that is.

The primary reason I joined this website is that I'm trying to find the cassettes or cds that accompanied an old college textbook, Russian by Ben T. Clark. I have looked for years without any luck. Incidentally, this textbook is an excellent starting point for anyone beginning Russian.

If anyone knows where I could get the Clark cassettes or the cassettes for another book that would provide an exhaustive coverage of intro. and intermediate Russian, please share. I've tried Rosetta Stone (which is a scam) and Modern Russian I and II by Clayton Dawson (good, but not exhaustive--only 24-28 hours of spoken Russian each). I also heard of an excellent course by the Defense Language Institute, but I know little about it. I feel there are lots of people out there in the same boat.

Any information or comments would be helpful. Thanks.

thankfully technology has moved on and cassettes are back in the stone age so I would try a CD based program (unless you really like hitting the ff & rw buttons on a tape player.)
    Amazon.com: Ultimate Russian Beginner-Intermediate (CD/Book) (Ultimate Beginner-Intermediate) (978140002117: Living Language: Books
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

Check out the topic about learning Russian, I forget what it is, but there is one on this forum.