Thread: Hello from Hungary

Hello from Hungary

Hi to everyone,

I am from Hungary. The language is not Slavic, thus has not much in common with Russian. However, I learned Russian in school for seven years years ago...but since I did not use it anywhere outside school, I have forgotten a lot and regard myself a beginner. (I can recall a lot of words, though.)
    I am a chess-player and collector of chess-books, which I would eventually like to be able to read by myself, and also to communicate with native speakers I meet at competitions in their language. When I learned English, I used to have penpals, which helped me an awful lot, so developing writing skills could be another aim later on.
    I love the sound of the language, I always listen to Russian music of radio stations, and all the library staff here know by now that I leave again and again borrowing at least a big Russko-Vengersky dictionary. Speaking of libraries, of course there is plenty of literature on learning Russian in libraries here, for the understanding of which I would not even need to understand an intermediate language, still I think it is not a bad idea to practice two languages during the process.
    I already have plenty of books and language-teaching applications in English but have not yet consulted anyone about them. So as my first step here, if you don't mind, I would like to share some of the titles with you, and ask about which one to study... In which thread can I do that?

My name in real life is Zoli, a common male first name, but here I prefer something else, the translation of which I use in relation to chess,
    Snezhnaya Baba

Welcome
    By the way "Snezhnaya Baba" for a Russian looks not like a male but a female name only. The male version of "Snezhnaya Baba" would be "Snegovik" (Снеговик).
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    Welcome
    By the way "Snezhnaya Baba" for a Russian looks not like a male but a female name only. The male version of "Snezhnaya Baba" would be "Snegovik" (Снеговик).
    Thanks!
    I had been suspicious... Then I should register again with a new account or at least include a male symbol in my avatar.

You can ask MasterAdmin to change your current username in the "Tech Support" subforum.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish