Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Medved
  • 1 Post By Paul G.

Thread: Greetings from Chemist12

Увлечённый спикер

Greetings from Chemist12

Hello everyone,

I am from New Zealand.

I have been studying Russian for less than a week.

I am using Babel Yak's Russian language learning videos as a learning resource. They can be found here:

Learn Russian Lesson 1 - Part I - Babel Yak - YouTube

My primary aim is to have a basic grasp of the Russian language. I would like to be able to communicate with individuals who do not speak English - in the event of a major humanitarian disaster.

Up until recently, I was a volunteer in an organisation that provides assistance to victims of major disasters (for example: earthquakes). I intend to return to my former position with that organisation soon.

In the event of a major crisis, people will be evacuated to shelters. I want to be able to get vital information from evacuees (the ones who lack the ability to communicate in English) if a translator is not readily available. The types of vital information that I may be asking are:

Do you have any special medical needs?
    Is there anyone missing?
    Where were you staying?
    Can you describe your son/daughter/mother/father to me?

I would also like to be able to respond to their concerns. For example: offer reassurance that a translator has been called.

I would appreciate anyone's help in this task.

If there is anything I can do for you in return, please do not hesitate to ask.

I understand that it can be a demanding task to assist someone in learning a new language, and so I will try to keep queries to a minimum. I already have some people who are willing to help me, and so I am able to avoid bothering you to much should you decide to help me.

Finally, I chose to learn Russian first (instead of Mandarin, Hindi, German, or French), because I am very interested in Russia (particularly its food). Absolute fluency in Russian is not my primary goal, but it is one of my secondary goals. I also like the way the language sounds.

Thanks

Chemist12

Quote Originally Posted by Chemist12 View Post
    Finally, I chose to learn Russian first (instead of Mandarin, Hindi, German, or French), because I am very interested in Russia (particularly its food). Absolute fluency in Russian is not my primary goal, but it is one of my secondary goals. I also like the way the language sounds.
    Спасибо. Ответили на мой вопрос. Меня зовут Максим. Пытаюсь учить английский. Но писать в чате по английски, получается очень медленно.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Are you a real chemist, bro?
    "He was too absurd to make me angry. Indeed, it was a waste of energy, for if you were going to be angry with this man you would be angry all the time."

Paul G.
    Нужна ли вам (особая) медицинская помощь? = Do you have any special medical needs?
    Кого-нибудь не хватает? = Is there anyone missing?
    Где вы расположились? = Where were you staying?
    Вы можете мне описать своего сына/отца (свою дочь/мать)? Can you describe your son/daughter/mother/father to me? (son = сын, daughter = дочь, father = отец, mother = мать)

offer reassurance that a translator has been called. = you could say "Не беспокойтесь, переводчик уже вызван".

Увлечённый спикер
    Hello,

Thank you for your replies.

Molodets, I am a chemistry student.

Thank you for your assistance Paul. However, at the moment I do not understand the Cyrillic alphabet.

I am following the Babel Yak lesson plan at the moment. Unfortunately they do not appear to have made a lesson for the Cyrillic alphabet. I do intend to learn this at some point. I will update you at that time.

If anyone would like some help with English, I will be happy to assist them in anyway that I can.

Thanks again,

Привет Chemist! Ты поставил перед собой очень благородную цель, надеюсь у тебя всё получится.
    Меня зовут Евгений, я русский, и с удовольствием помогу тебе с русским языком здесь или в скайпе.
    Думаю, что тебе стоит начать с кириллического алфавита, это будет хорошим началом.

Рекомендую вот это видео:

Если у тебя будут какие-угодно вопросы по произношению, грамматике, или просто поболтать - буду рад тебе помочь!
    Удачи!

Hi Chemist! You set yourself a very noble task, I wish you success and I hope you will be persistent enough to achieve it.
    My name is Eugene, I'm Russian and it will be a pleasure for me to help you with the Russian language.
    Feel free to contact me here or on Skype.
    In my opinion, the Cyrillic alphabet is a good thing to start off with, it's really worth doing.
    I highly recommend the video above, this will help you get the hang of the Russian alphabet and basic pronuniation.
    If there appear any questions regarding this video or anything else, don't hesitate a moment, I'll be happy to help.
    Good luck!
    Tararwen likes this.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Does it really help to be able to ask questions if you don't understand the answers anyway?

Увлечённый спикер

Eugene, I will start learning the alphabet immediately.

Inego, I am not planning to learn the questions by themselves. I wish, as a primary goal, to learn Russian to the point that I can have a basic understanding of what people are saying in a disaster situation.

In a disaster,it is unlikely that people would want to start a conversation on the native flora and fauna. Therefore, it would not be necessary for me to learn words that relate only to this subject in order for me to achieve my primary goal.

As a secondary goal, I would like to learn the Russian language fluently.

I also would like to master cooking some Russian food. Schi for example:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../4/4a/Schi.jpg

Подающий надежды оратор
    Could you tell us what ''bro-English'' is, and teach us some? That would be choice!
    "He was too absurd to make me angry. Indeed, it was a waste of energy, for if you were going to be angry with this man you would be angry all the time."

Увлечённый спикер
    Thank you for your reply Molodets,

I have not heard of bro-english before.

Are you able to elaborate on what you mean please?

Thank you.

Welcome, Chemist12!

Whereabouts in NZ are you? Do you have any Russian friends?
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

Hello, Chem!
    I've been learning Russian for a month or two. I don't plan on being very pro on it I just want to be able to understand songs.
    I'll see you around d forum n chat!!

PS you happy now?

Paul G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maria View Post
    Why Russian cuisine? I hear it's very rich, creamy and nourishing. I dare say most Russians do look well-fed - all those blinis and pelmenis...
    Of course, French cuisine is one of the best in the world, everyone knows that. But when I see some girls who look skinny as a french fry, I think it would be very helpful for them to try Russian cuisine at least two times per week.

Увлечённый спикер

MasterAdmin: Unfortunately, I do not have any Russian friends.

Regarding where I live, it is north of Antarctica.

Joyan, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I wish you the best of luck with your studies. I hope to get to know you better in the chat.

Lady Maria, it is nice to hear from you.

I enjoy many different types of food. I like Russian food because I enjoy soups. I also like Indian food but I often have trouble digesting Indian cuisine.

In regard to my desired role in a disaster, I would like to work with evacuees.

Often in disasters, people are evacuated to a safer location. If you are staying in a foreign country when a disaster strikes, the situation can be difficult. This is even more so if you do not speak the native language. People need to be able to communicate their needs to aid workers. It helps if one of those aid workers can understand what you are saying. This is what I am aiming to be able to do.

There are very few Russians in New Zealand. So it may seem odd that I have chosen to learn Russian instead of some other language. However, my interest in Russian goes beyond the reasons I have given above. I will be more motivated to learn Russian than if I was learning another language. This will be the first language I have ever learned (besides the official languages of my country), so motivation will be very important. I am not just learning Russian, I am also learning how to learn a language.

Paul, kindly leave the French girl alone.

Властелин
    Chemist, Kind Sir, I am still waiting for you recipe.... or shall I starve today and morrow? I'd like to send you my recipe of 'zharkoye' then (potatoes and meat in a pot)....

Lena
    Since you came on the site, Chem, I’ve been dreaming of an earthquake here in Ukraine.
    I am dying to hear somebody saying to me, “Do you have any special medical needs?” with the New Zealand accent.

Paul G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helenej View Post
    I am dying to hear somebody saying to me, “Do you have any special medical needs?” with the New Zealand accent.
    Well, you should be waiting just about 20-25 years for that. It is doubtful he will learn Russian earlier.

Lena
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    Well, you should be waiting just about 20-25 years for that. It is doubtful he will learn Russian earlier.
    How did you diagnose that? He seems to be a very bright guy. Especially when it comes to his brilliant sense of humor.
    Maybe you should advise him to focus on this one phrase only?

Увлечённый спикер
    Thank you for your kind words Helenej.

It is regrettable that Paul G. has chosen to have such a negative attitude.

It is equally regrettable that a certain forum user has chosen to delete her/his post from my thread.

I look forward to any further replies.

Почтенный гражданин MISSFOXYSWEETCHERRY's Avatar
    Привет Привет!
    & Добро пожаловать !
    Hope you learn Russian the way you want faster + you should contribute more,cuz i saw you still have problem in Alphabets!

P.S. Paul is really trying to be positive,i can feel it!
    Last edited by MISSFOXYSWEETCHERRY; November 24th, 2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: grammatical issue
    Let's Live By The Moment... Cause Together Ain't Promised Forever
    Жить надо так, чтобы тебя помнили и сволочи
    Du Vet Inte Vad Som Kan Hända Innan Aftonen!