Thread: Greetings from Australia!

Подающий надежды оратор

Greetings from Australia!

Hey Everybody, my name is Kody and I am a 16 year-old college student, currently living in Victoria, Australia. Currently employed at the local McDonalds restaurant . Basically, I decided to sign up because I am extremely interested in the Russian language (Although I am simply a beginner), the Russian culture and history. I feel such a strong connection to Russia as the ancestry on my mothers side leads back there, my great-grandmother immigrated to Australia during the late 40's for a new beginning after losing her entire family during the war due to the Nazi onslaught. Unfortunately my mother never asked her many questions about her family back in the old days, it probably pained her to speak about such a sad subject. so far we know the name of her parents and that she was born in a town called Nekrasovo, possibly in the region of Sverdlovskaya Oblast. I have extensively researched her ancestry but have come come to a dead end. I'm not sure if her surname, which is Eremenko (Sometimes spelled Jeremenko or Yoryemenko) is common in Russia, i've seen a few with this name but I have no idea if they are my relations or not. Hopefully some day i'll find all of this information as it is all very important to me. Anyway, my hobbies, other than genealogical research are to study world history, especially Russian history, I find it the most interesting. In addition I collect Russian and Soviet militaria. I also love to read, especially science and history books, something which is a rarity among the other teenagers of my generation but I believe knowledge of history and the world should be an important thing to pursue, not to ignore. I'm also a fan of a fair few current and past Russian bands and musical figures, other than that the music I mainly listen to are from the 50's-60's and 70's era, i'm not too fond of some of the English music of this day. Anyway, i'd say that pretty much sums it up, thanks for reading

Lena
    Hi, Aussie.
    Welcome aboard!

I actually doubt if "Aussie" sounds ok in this context. I cannot feel that. I hope it doesn't sound offensive.

I don't think that Eremenko is a rather common surname in Russia.
    At least it's not among the top 100 most common surnames as I just looked up, yet it's not unique.
    It's of Ukrainian origin because of its suffix -enko.

Подающий надежды оратор
    "Hi, Aussie.
    Welcome aboard!

I actually doubt if "Aussie" sounds ok in this context. I cannot feel that. I hope it doesn't sound offensive."

Perfectly fine, there's no reason the term "Aussie" should ever be offensive to Australians, thanks for your welcome

"I don't think that Eremenko is a rather common surname in Russia.
    At least it's not among the top 100 most common surnames as I just looked up, yet it's not unique.
    It's of Ukrainian origin because of its suffix -enko."

That's very interesting, thank you for that information, it will help me very much in my search for the family records Hopefully some day I'll have the chance to visit both Ukraine and Russia, might find some more leads about the family.

Почтенный гражданин
    Hi Tovarisch, welcome to the forum. Feel free to talk about anything you like. There are English threads, and Russian threads, and a thread where you can get your questions answered about grammar. So just have fun

Новичок
    Hi Tovarisch!
    welcome!
    I'm Lada,half Swede and half Russian/Ukrainian.
    I don't know Russian ,just a basic!
    However I'm willing to learn it sooner and sooner!
    My native language is Swedish.
    So good luck with learning Russian,there are many many great people here,who will answer your questions and solve your problems!

Увлечённый спикер
    Greetings, Welcome to the forums from NZ.

It's pretty cool that you are trying to find out your family history.

What's your favourite science?

Best of luck with your search.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Hey there Chemist, I find any field of science rather interesting but i'd probably have to say that Biology is my favorite field of science, followed by astronomy. Thanks for the kind welcome everyone, it's good too find so many friendly people on this forum, i'm looking forward to enhancing my language skills.

Новичок
    Hi Kody!

I read that you interest is генеалогическое tree. I think that I will start create it for my family in the feature, after end of work but my uncle say that it will be слишком late. Then I want to start create my family tree in the next year (when I go to grandmother to Ukraine).
    So I live in Sverdlovskaya oblast and if you need any help let me know, буду рад помочь

Подающий надежды оратор
    Thank you very much, I appreciate the help! I recently discovered that my Great grandmother was actually born in Nekrasovo, UKRAINE. I'm not sure why my mother believed it was Russia, but I understand much more about her life now, I had no idea about much of it.

Hi. My name is Maksim. I am from Kazakhstan, but I am russian. If you want just to speak with russian guy, you might call me via Skype. My Skype name is maxitron44.

Почтенный гражданин
    Welcome, Kody,
    "Еременко" is a widely spread Ukrainian family name, several of my friends in Ukraine have the same last name, and they are not related to one another.

This is a wonderful and very useful site to begin to learn Russian, and to practice Russian in the chat.