Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Москва слезам не верит.

Почтенный гражданин
    I for one am pretty picky about movies, and usually do not like the films that win academy awards so I definately do not think that an award validates a movie. I was questioning you on if that was a possible motive of you not liking it, but I guess you didnt know it won the award.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    @ Friendy, about the Goga character: in what way did you find his attitude to women offensive? I guess my language skills were not really good enough to pick up on that.. ) .
    I'll answer your question but first answer mine (kind of a small comprehension test ): "Почему Гоша ушёл от Кати?"(Of course, don't answer this question if you don't wish, but I thought it might be interesting for you.)
    And I agree about "The Barber of Siberia", it was very disappointing. Вот уж здесь деньги точно пошли на ветер. It's indeed a stereotypes collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    P.S. And a pretty incorrect translation too - не верит в слёзы would be your 'doesn't believe in tears' - but that's a totally different shade of meaning for you than the film's original title 'слезам не верит'.
    And what about "Moscow doesn't believe one's tears"?
    Personally I think even if it's closer to the original it's less sounding for a movie title.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by BETEP
    ни водка ни пиво, денги на ветер
    Водка без пива - деньги на ветер!
    heh i knew the saying, it was just my little (very bad) Russian joke
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Старший оракул
    Well, Friendy, thanks for the question, I just looked at that bit again and it helped me to understand better... so, if I understand correctly, he left her because she hadn't told him that she was the director of the 'plant' or whatever the right word is... and he felt emasculated in some way by her having a higher social status.

But it seems a little harsh to judge him on that? Anyhow, there are probably several other important points I didn't understand on first viewing.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Властелин
    Well, Friendy, thanks for the question, I just looked at that bit again and it helped me to understand better... so, if I understand correctly, he left her because she hadn't told him that she was the director of the 'plant' or whatever the right word is... and he felt emasculated in some way by her having a higher social status.

But it seems a little harsh to judge him on that? Anyhow, there are probably several other important points I didn't understand on first viewing.
    You understood it correctly, waxwing (though most likely the fact that she lied to him upset him more than the fact she was a director). There are several moments in the film when his rather conservative views on women issue are shown. He thinks that the woman should be a housewife and her place is in the kitchen, that there's man's work and women's work. If I am not mistaken he talks about his views at the picnic (the one with his friends) when he is talking with Александра, but the last time I watched it was rather long ago so I can confuse things. And that episode when he said he won't tolerate being ordered "На том простом основании, что я мужчина" thus implying that for a woman being ordered is OK.
    I neither judge him nor blame him (a lot of men have such views, it's not only their fault, that's the way they were brought up), I actually think he is a good person, I'm just pointing out his features I consider negative and that are too emphasized (IMHO) in the film.

And I don't agree with VendingMachine that Gosha treated women as whores. I'd say he was authoritative and domineering but "treating women as whores" means something different IMO.

Btw, VendingMachine, do you really think that he is wino? Or you chose this word only to make it sound more expressive and emotional? But if you do think that he is a wino, it would be really interesting for me to know the reasons.

Старший оракул
    Well, I just finished watching служебный роман. What a hoot! I love the repartee between the two leads. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at one or two points. Like:

- Вы утверждали, что я чёрствая!
    - Почему? Мягкая.
    - Бесчеловечная! - Человечная.
    - Бессердечная! - Сердечная.
    - Сухая!- Мокрая.

And then he's like .. Mokraya? I didn't mean mokraya, I meant dobraya!
    And I also liked the bit with это не лошадь, это пони!
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Властелин
    - Вы утверждали, что я чёрствая!
    - Почему? Мягкая.
    - Бесчеловечная! - Человечная.
    - Бессердечная! - Сердечная.
    - Сухая!- Мокрая.

And then he's like .. Mokraya? I didn't mean mokraya, I meant dobraya!
    Yes, I like this moment too.
    I also like that Bublikov "resurrection" and "она дёргает цветы из Бубликова". And that one is also very famous: "мальчик и ещё мальчик"

Старший оракул
    You know that song in служебный роман, :

где найти кого-то?
    Могу весь мир я обойти,
    Чтобы найти кого-то
    Могу весь мир я обойти.

It seems like they've just made some kind of new pop-version
    I quite like it .. good lord I have no taste at all..
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Властелин
    Моя любимая цитата из "Служебного романа", наверное, неточная: "Ну что Вы, мы Вас любим. В глубине души. Где-то очень глубоко".

Старший оракул
    Indra,
    I do remember that line! Do I understand it correctly?:
    "What are you talking about?! We all love you! From the depth of our hearts (souls)! Somewhere very deep"
    Is there a better colloquial translation (especially of that last line)?
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почтенный гражданин
    "What are you talking about?! We all love you! From the depth of our hearts (souls)! Somewhere very deep"
    I'd translate it like "In the depth of our souls" or "deep in our souls" , "Somewhere very deep"(so deep that it's hardly noticable )

I just saw the movie. I liked the first segment more than the rest and, yes, I did find Goga to be a unreconstructed chauvanistic jerk. In addition to his views about a woman's role, what about that ridiculous charade of the picnic -- get all your friends together to spontaneously extemporize about what a wonderul person you are to impress the new girlfriend with the depth of your brilliance and gererosity of spirit.

Still, in the context in which it was made, not a bad flick. Interesting couple of tounge in cheek criticisms of the state. E.g., when the one character pointedly states that "you know we have the best medical system in the world" in a way that somehow manages to convey the opposite (while, presumably, getting past the government watchdogs).
    Yes, I live in Texas. No, I don't support Bush.

I just saw the movie. I liked the first segment more than the rest and, yes, I did find Goga to be a unreconstructed chauvanistic jerk. In addition to his views about a woman's role, what about that ridiculous charade of the picnic -- get all your friends together to spontaneously extemporize about what a wonderul person you are to impress the new girlfriend with the depth of your brilliance and gererosity of spirit.

Still, in the context in which it was made, not a bad flick. Interesting couple of tounge in cheek criticisms of the state. E.g., when the one character pointedly states that "you know we have the best medical system in the world" in a way that somehow manages to convey the opposite (while, presumably, getting past the government watchdogs).
    Yes, I live in Texas. No, I don't support Bush.

"Фильм «Москва слезам не верит» глазами американки

Посмотрела фильм "Москва слезам не верит" со своей американской подружкой Крис. Всё таки оскаровское кино, как ни крути. Мне захотелось, чтобы моя подруга, обожающая русскую классическую литературу, ознакомилась с этим шедевром нашей киноклассики. Смотрели с английскими субтитрами. Под конец фильма Крис сказала, что у неё есть много вопросов.

- Оксана, я не понимаю, почему если Катья была директором такой крупной фабрики и у неё в подчинении было три тысячи человек, она жила вдвоём с ребёнком (!!!) практически в дырке в стене. Это же невероятно: два человека живут в однобедрумной квартире. Директор крупного предприятия спит в гостинной на раскладном диване! Как это понимать?

- Ну, Крис, дело было же ещё в Союзе, тогда мы все так жили. Я жила в однобедрумной квартире с сестрой и родителями. Мы с сестрой спали тоже в гостинной на раскладных диванах.
    - Да, но твои же родители не были такими большими боссами, как героиня Катья?

- Но у нас тогда было всеобщее равенство и братство...

- Но ведь ты сама говорила, что коммунисты имели намного больше, а разве Катья не была коммунистом, имея руководящую должность? Кстати, почему там мама Николая произносит фразу "Разве в ресторане прилично накормят?" У вас что, кормили плохо в том числе и в ресторанах, но тогда как же они существовали и подолгу не выходили из бизнеса?

Я почесала затылок, но Крис продолжала свои вопросы на засыпку.

- почему она, будучи таким крупным боссом, ездит на таком факинг пис оф шыт, который постоянно ломается? Её зарплаты директора не хватает на приличную машину?

Мой рассказ о многолетних очередях на автомобиль и о том, что жигули вовсе никакой не пис оф шыт, а очень даже приличная машина по тем временам, Крис не убедил. Она продолжала задавать вопросы:

- Оксана, я не понимаю. Вот Катья- она такая красавица и умница, добилась всего сама, дочь воспитала, но она похоже никак не может почувствовать себя счастливой только потому, что рядом нет мужчины? Этот пис оф шыт Гоша, у которого комплекс неполноценности, потому что его любимая женщина больше зарабатывает, бросил её по-хамски, а она вместо того, чтобы забить на него, ищет его по всей Москве, потеряв всяческую гордость и достоинство? А потом она его со слезами на глазах принимает обратно, но она что, не понимает, что у них отношения всё равно не сложатся: она же больше него зарабатывает, а для него это- проблема. А значит он- говно-мужик, isn't he? Разве я не права? Почему создатели фильма красной нитью проводят мысль о том, что женщина, чего бы она ни добилась, всё равно- неполноценна, если у неё рядом нет "штанов"? Что это за булшыт, объясни мне, плиз?

Кстати, если у кого возникли тёмные мыслишки по поводу бэкграунда Крис, не подкопаетесь, сразу говорю. Крис- ослепительная красавица-блондинка размера small, обладательница чёрного пояса каратэ, в свои 58 без единой пластической операции выглядит на 45, состоит в счастливом браке со своим красавцем мужем- преуспевающим хирургом-ортопедом, живёт с ним в замке спален на десять, с прислугой и на берегу озера, и сама при этом доктор наук, имеет успешную частную практику клинического психолога. Мать троих детей. Говорю же: не подкопаетесь.

Я было задвинула лекцию для Крис, начиная копать ещё с 17-го года, но она меня просто сражала наповал своей незамутнённой логикой успешной и счастливой американки. Каждый исторический пассаж, который я пыталась выдвинуть, она тут же задвигала. Так мы и скоротали вдвоём томный вечер, согласившись, что на всё ответом есть загадочная славянская душа. Только Крис ещё добавила под конец белого вина в бокале:

- Как хорошо всё-таки, Окси, что ты оттуда уехала. Ну не могу я тебя представить сидящей на табуретке и жующей собственные сопли: "Как долго я тебя искала! Как долго я тебя искала!" Какой же это булшыт, ну просто противно! Хотя в целом фильм не плохой и я много нового узнала из вашей истории советского периода. А что ещё интересненького из русского у тебя есть посмотреть?"

http://uainfo.org/blognews/403433-fi...merikanki.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12