Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Films & TV: Russian & Non - Q&As/Reviews/Links all in here!

Re: Favorite movie/book phrases or quotes??

I normally speak about my older daughter on this forum.

Today, the younger daughter and her entire 6th grade class are headed out on a school field trip to see the 1917 silent film "Poor Little Rich Girl" staring Mary Pickford. The event is being sponsored by the Mary Pickford Foundation and celebrates the 100th anniversary of Pickford’s first appearance as an actress on screen in May of 1909.

Younger daughter was selected to appear in a video about her classmates learning specially designed lessons in film history, Mary Pickford’s legacy, and the emotional elements of musical scoring.

Mary Pickford, known around the world as “America’s Sweetheart,” was the first star of motion pictures, and for much of her screen career, from 1909-33, was considered to be the most famous woman in the world. In addition, she co-founded United Artists, The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and the Motion Picture Relief Fund, an organization to help out-of-work and retired film workers.

The Poor Little Rich Girl, directed by Maurice Tourneur, became Mary Pickford’s biggest hit of the decade. The silent film tells the story of Gwendolyn, the lonely 11-year-old daughter of wealthy, distracted parents, who is cared for by a succession of disinterested servants. Gwen’s rebellious efforts to find playmates, live the life of a normal child, and regain the love of her parents lead to a series of humorous episodes. When an accidental over-medication places Gwen’s life in peril, however, her parents realize they must change their lifestyle in order to give proper attention to what is truly important to their happiness—their daughter.

The film was unique because Pickford, who at the time was 25 years old, plays a girl of 11. Various photographic tricks were used to help the actress, who was just five feet tall, appear even smaller. Subsequently, Mary Pickford became most famous for her portrayals of children in several films.

Here is the film on YouTube WITH A DIFFERENT SOUNDTRACK
    part 1 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj6FMlG3FTE
    part 2 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzemC0SOBI
    part 3 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOPrP7nnHOg
    part 4 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdRMuoX3LxI
    part 5 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZ5xd1wEr0
    part 6 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BmLxRuWBrk
    part 7 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgPSphgAXZk
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Завсегдатай

Can anyone see it?
    I got "Wrong video ID" message (the links seem all right ).

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Can anyone see it?
    I got "Wrong video ID" message (the links seem all right ).

gRomoZeka, try the direct links now. I re-cut and pasted the links again and did not try any fancy stuff. They should work...
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Почётный участник

Speaking of silent movies I can't hold myself to mention the 1929 An Andalusian Dog by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali. It's still a very enjoyable movie for me . Though the eye cutting scene just freaks me out

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlaz
    Though the eye cutting scene just freaks me out
    I recall I found it beautiful.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

RUSSIAN MOVIE REVIEW

Railway Station for Two (Вокзал для двоих, Vokzal dlya dvoikh), 1982
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Railway_Station_for_Two

Small clip (in Russian only): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psXVc7vB2WQ
    http://www.memocast.com/mediadetails.aspx?id=170597 part 1
    http://www.memocast.com/mediadetails.aspx?id=170537 part 2

U.S. Reviews:
    http://moviecritic2000.blogspot.com/...n-for-two.html + Watchable

So, this movie was sent to me as a lovely present and I must admit I was ever so pleased to have received it. I knew nothing about it AT ALL. I had not read the American review that said it was “…hard to understand why the film was such a huge success and broke all box office records in Russia.”

The subtitles were missing in a few places and I must admit, I did not realize that I was watching a flashback until WELL into the film! But on the good side of that, I was just as surprised as Ryabinin when he was in the little cabin.

Now, if ever there was a Russian “chick flick” this would be it! I could happily watch this film with my half pint or half gallon of ice cream and snuggle up in bed with this movie at any time. Yes, of course, some of the scenes are predicable and I did not need the missing subtitles to tell me what was being said or even what was going to happen next. The fact that he paid for their dinner by playing the piano was simply brilliant! The quick shot of the man in the bus station and then him pick pocketing Ryabinin later on, you knew would happen; yet still was just enough that it was believable. Now, her keeping the food in the plates, in her handbag and Ryabinin (or us the audience) not hearing the dishes rattle during all that time or her trying to sleep on them and not break them???? That is a little hard to accept...but I will, as it was cute when they shared the meal.

I also liked the little one liners back and forth between them when they took little jabs at eachother:
    Vera with shampoos in her hands and Ryabinin asks her: "Are you going to put that into the soup, too?"
    Vera, saying “Now watch me get my 1.25 rubles back.”

Also, as I have worked in restaurants before, I enjoyed tremendously watching her order for the two of them as customers, making certain that the good oil is used and the alcohol is not watered down and so on and so forth.

Now, I know you Russians will flog me for even questioning this, but at one point I did wonder... just briefly (I had a momentary lapse of non-chickness), if Ryabinin might have actually been driving the car that night. If he might have told Vera that his wife had been driving because he was too ashamed and did not want her to think ill of him. I know, blasphemy for me to think such thought! You will have to think of a suitable punishment for me.

This was a real treat for me and I highly recommend it for any female.

And for you guys who want to watch it but can’t admit it, just think… put it on for your girl and watch it with her and you will score major points with her! And if you don’t want to watch it, put it on anyway and make those bonus points with her!

Завсегдатай

Thanks, rockzmom, for your review. Although I think I'll understand it better when I re-read it several times

Now, I only didn't quite understand what did you mean by "missing subtitles". Well, okay, I'm admitting in public that it was me who gave you a link for the subtitles and who suggested you watch this movie. I also can admit that the subtitles can be bad and contain mistakes; but I don't understand why you found them "missing". I think I can swear that those subtitles to which I gave you a link were complete, and the only thing that was not translated there were announcements through the loudspeaker at the railway station - I think they could only draw spectator's attention away from the main scenes.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Now, I only didn't quite understand what did you mean by "missing subtitles".
    There were just a few quick scenes, here and there; however, the one I recall right away and was the longest scene after he sold the mellons and he is pushing Vera, there are no subtitles at all for that entire scene. I had to make up my own little dialogue for what they were say as they went down the street. Since it was a cute scene and pretty easy to imagine what they would be saying, it was not so hard to think of things.

Of course, you know... the entire problem would be solved IF I WOULD JUST LEARN RUSSIAN!!! Like that will ever happen

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    however, the one I recall right away and was the longest scene after he sold the mellons and he is pushing Vera, there are no subtitles at all for that entire scene
    Hmm... Maybe something was wrong with the player or software somehow. I've just downloaded the subs file and checked: there are subtitles for scenes after he sold the melons there. Sorry for being so boring.

By the way, I tried to understand what means "he is pushing Vera" and examined my dictionary for several times, but I am in perplexity. Did you mean him carrying her on the cart maybe?

however, the one I recall right away and was the longest scene after he sold the mellons and he is pushing Vera, there are no subtitles at all for that entire scene
    Hmm... Maybe something was wrong with the player or software somehow. I've just downloaded the subs file and checked: there are subtitles for scenes after he sold the melons there. Sorry for being so boring.

I am the mechanically inferior female here, I downloaded them and matched them up and let them rip… I can try it again and see if they work…

By the way, I tried to understand what means "he is pushing Vera" and examined my dictionary for several times, but I am in perplexity. Did you mean him carrying her on the cart maybe?
    Yes, and no...

Technically, the cart is carrying Vera and he is pushing the cart.

In the scene, Vera is sitting on the suitcases, right? And the suitcase are on like a hand trolley correct?
    (picture for those who have not seen the movie, it is "sort of" something like this)

As he is "pushing" the trolley, he is in turn pushing Vera.

If he were to carry Vera, that would mean more like he has her in his arms or on his back. Does that example help?

Завсегдатай

Technically, the cart is carrying Vera and he is pushing the cart.
    Oh, now I see! Thank you!

This was a real treat for me and I highly recommend it for any female.
    I'm not a female but I like this movie a lot. The funniest of its scenes is the one in a train compartment when Andrey (Nikita Mikhalkov) says:" Come on, come on, come on, yourself, yourself, yourself..."

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by studyr
    The funniest of its scenes is the one in a train compartment when Andrey (Nikita Mikhalkov) says:" Come on, come on, come on, yourself, yourself, yourself..."
    I like the scene when they're trying to settle for sleeping on a bench at the station and moving each other "a little".

Quote Originally Posted by iriroma
    And I've enjoyed a lot the "Frankestein Junior" movie! I've seen it 3 times and it never stops making me laugh
    Oh, what a good time my family had last night thanks to you! All four of us watch Young Frankenstein!

Studyr, I don't know if you have had a chance to watch it yet, so I won't give too much away.

This movie has soooo many play on words and double meanings, oh my goodness.

It was interesting for me to see which ones the girls understood and which ones the girls did not. And which of the two got some and which one didn't as only a year seperates the two of them.

I could not find my favorite clip online. It was this little dialogue exchange:
    - Inga- “Why look, you haven’t even touched your food.”
    - Pause and then Dr. Frankestein taking both hands and pounding his fingers all over his food, turns to Inga and says “There, now I’ve touched it. Happy?”
    For those of you who would like to watch the movie, it is up on YouTube (if they allow you to watch it there from your country)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKKBAoSm8XA

I could not find my favorite clip online. It was this little dialogue exchange:
    - Inga- “Why look, you haven’t even touched your food.”
    - Pause and then Dr. Frankestein taking both hands and pounding his fingers all over his food, turns to Inga and says “There, now I’ve touched it. Happy?”
    For those of you who would like to watch the movie, it is up on YouTube (if they allow you to watch it there from your country)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKKBAoSm8XA
    The clip is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qil3iFpgWdM and the dialogue is on the ninth minute of it. I watched it on youtube too because the AVI I downloaded appeared to be on Italian which I don't understand :fool" The movie is one of Mel Brooks' genius, I love it

P.S. By the way, you needn't put [url] BBCode if link begins with http://

Quote Originally Posted by studyr
    The funniest of its scenes is the one in a train compartment when Andrey (Nikita Mikhalkov) says:" Come on, come on, come on, yourself, yourself, yourself..."
    I like the scene when they're trying to settle for sleeping on a bench at the station and moving each other "a little".
    Okay studyr, I did not mean to sell the males short here... Just giving them a way to watch what I think is such a "chick flick!"

Olya, Yes, that was a VERY fun scene! She kept pushing back and she was smaller than him! (and no noise from the dishes). Yet, he was a gentleman and gave her the space... see CHICK FLICK!

And I've enjoyed a lot the "Frankestein Junior" movie! I've seen it 3 times and it never stops making me laugh
    Oh, what a good time my family had last night thanks to you! All four of us watch Young Frankenstein!
    I'm really glad you've enjoyed the movie!!

I am under the desk
    [video:10id10qf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFP-MktgOKU[/video:10id10qf]

I've just watched the "Losing Isaiah"! So many emotions!! This story did touch my heart!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYuqYqD1 ... re=related
    [video:1p9p3waq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYuqYqD16AY&feature=related[/video:1p9p3waq]

I've just watched the movie "Losing Isaiah"! So many emotions!! This story did touch my heart!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYuqYqD1 ... re=related
    iriroma, you could have said watch "Loising Isaiah" or "watched the movie." Either one of the those would be fine; however, you need to do something with the "the" or take it out. OR "I have just finished watching the movie "Losing Isasiah"

I have not seen the film; however, I do know about it and I am wondering what did you take away from it? Did you have any views on this matter before watching it? Did your views change afterwards?

The clip you chose was a good one because when I was growing up here in the states, there were no "black role models" for children. In fact, there were no non-white role models at all. Everyone on TV and in the print ads were pretty much white, until the Cosby Show came along. Yet here he is criticizing her for showing her son the same thing she grew up with, that millions of kids grow up with even today... the characters on Sesame Street (most likely he is referring too), and that show was the first to actually have non-white people.

Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast