Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smile for the people

Новичок

Smile for the people

Why Europeans smile to all? Why Russian do not do it?
    Please, correct my mistakes, I need it! Thanks in advance.

Старший оракул

Re: Smile for the people

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Linna
    Why do Europeans smile at everyone? Why don't Russians do it?
    Because in Russia, everyone is a potential threat until they are found to be friendly. Whereas in other places it is customary for strangers to be greeted as a friend until they show themselves to be an enemy.
    I think it has something to do with "Christian ethics" being successfully taught in the West, while the Orthodox Church in Russia never really accomplished a lot. (All pomp and ceremony and tradition but little substance)
    So therefore we have the survival of the fittest mentality still in Russia.
    Anyway that is my theory.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Властелин

Because Europeans are happy and Russians are miserable.

Obviously.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Because in Russia, everyone is a potential threat until they are found to be friendly.
    Meh... it's because in Russia you don't have to smile for people to like you, so noone bother. Saves you an effort.
    I think it has something to do with "Christian ethics" being successfully taught in the West, while the Orthodox Church in Russia never really accomplished a lot. (All pomp and ceremony and tradition but little substance)
    Sorry, it looks like you know nothing about the Orthodox faith.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Sorry, it looks like you nothing about the Orthodox faith.
    If Orthodox church had accomplished instilling Christian values into the people, there would not have been enough people to accept the Bolsheviks and Communism.
    Russian life since 1,000 years ago has been one measure of dog eat dog, survival of the toughest and serfdom. Russians respect power and if that power is Russian...even better.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Новичок

Thanks for corrections.
    In my opinion Russians are just sincere. Their smiles indicate their sympathy to interlocutor or their mood. Smile displays their inner condition. There are less "Smiles on duty" in Russia. (I mean "дежурные улыбки").
    Please, correct my mistakes, I need it! Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    If Orthodox church had accomplished instilling Christian values into the people, there would not have been enough people to accept the Bolsheviks and Communism.
    А если в этом предложении заменить Православие на Католицизм/Протестантизм, и большевиков на фашистов?

Почтенный гражданин

I know a lot of Russians that smile a lot. There is just a difference in the appropriate time to smile. If I don't smile at every cashier I encounter or every person I don't know when I'm out in public, am I crazy?
    Correct my mistakes and I will give you +1 internets.

DDT

After I moved to Russia I quit smiling at strangers too.

Увлечённый спикер

sounds nicer than here, where if you are not smiling, then complete strangers come up to you and demand you smile for them.
    sun rat

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Linna
    Why Europeans smile to all? Why Russian do not do it?
    Мои версии:
    - Потому что в Европе не улыбаться опасно. Например, неандертальцы забыли улыбнуться, когда встретились в Европе с кроманьонцами.
    - В России от улыбки на морозе кожа лопнет.

Новичок

When we (Russian) do smile, our smile is genuine, not fake like in 75% of the American smiles.
    We even have a song about smile [video:1whd6f54]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgXRqEUXIug[/video:1whd6f54]
    От улыбки станет всем светлей и слону и даже маленькой улитке.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust
    Embrace.Experience.DiscoverRus http://www.discoverrus.com/
    What do you think about Russia? http://www.discoverrus.com/blog/

SAn

If somebody will smile without the reason when talkinkg to me then I will think that he considering me funny, that he believe that I am a clown etc. I will think that he is not considering me serious. The best thing I can do in such a case is stop talking with such impolite person.

Sometimes sellers cheat me, making me to pay more than I should. I noticed that they smiled all times they cheat me! They use smile to distract my attention.

Russian proverb:
    «Смех без причины — признак дурачины»
    It means «if somebody smiling without the reason then he is mentally ill» (in mental houses you can often see people walking around and smiling continuously).
    Another one:
    «Улыбайтесь! Это всех раздражает!»
    It means «Smile! That annoy everyone!» (If you smiling while it is hard time for the society then you are hard-hearted and ignore common hardships).

Also it is impossible to work and smile at the same time. So, if someone is smiling at the workplace, then he is not working at the moment and doing something irrelevant. Then, if the boss will come and see that somebody is smiling, then he will know that the woker is not working (maybe he reading funny stories at the Internet instead).

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by SAn
    If somebody will smile without the reason when talkinkg to me then I will think that he considering me funny, that he believe that I am a clown etc.
    Невозможно, что он просто считает разговор приятным? Я как-то раз гулял по Парижу с русской девушкой, и её удивило то, что я не улыбался. Словно мне было скучно, а она-то шла улыбаясь, хоть русская. Я не уверен, что в действительности русские улыбаются меньше, чем «западные». Человек я не улыбающийся, хоть француз французом.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Zubr
    Человек я неулыбающийся,
    Лучше - неулыбчивый.

хоть француз французом.
    Ты отлично освоил эту конструкцию
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Also it is impossible to work and smile at the same time. So, if someone is smiling at the workplace, then he is not working at the moment and doing something irrelevant.
    SAn, I most disagree with you on this one 1,000%.

You have no idea how many times I have smiled and even laughed with joy once I have solved a problem that I have worked on. Sometimes for days I would work on getting the exact linking formulas correct in spreadsheets and all my numbers correct....to see that they all do and my work balances. Or a presentation that you have been slaving over day and night and rewriting, perfecting and then...then you find the perfect word and it is finished...the elation and euphoria that comes over one... a smile cannot but help escape one's lips.

It starts very slowly at the corners and then, it creeps ever so wider until it takeover your mouth and you have no help of holding it back, it must SAn, let loose and who cares who sees it?
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

SAn

You say that you smile when the work is done.

But I'm talking about smiling during the work.

You say that you smile when the work is done.

But I'm talking about smiling during the work.
    I still disagree with you and let me try another example that you might relate better to....

I have seen your amazing photographs (and I do mean that honestly) and my girls work with photographers all the time. These photographers are professionals... it is their JOB... yet WHILE they are working they are smiling, they are happy as they are taking the photographs. Knowing that the art they are creating is beautiful and will make not only their boss and clients happy, yet people happy or products sold.

They enjoy their work. They smile while they work and usually the boss and client are there as well seeing them smile and they are smiling too (IF they like what they see on the computer monitor of course). Yes, sometimes I have seen them VERY serious and not smiling, but more times then not, they are smiling and happy.

SAn, smiling while working does not mean you do not take your work seriously, it can mean that you actually enjoy what you do for living.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Well, I'm Russian but live in Europe. I prefer to see a smiling face while working, that gives me a kind of motivation, i.e. I see that people are satisfied with my work. And it's much more pleasant to see smiles on people's faces than a dull and displeased face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast