Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Sexuality

Увлечённый спикер

Sexuality

So, here in the U.S. there has been a lot of controversy about sexuality... Whether it be acceptance, equal rights, gay-marriage, etc. I was just curious. How is this topic, or how are homosexuals, treated in Russia and other slavic areas?
    arrora likes this.

Почтенный гражданин Demonic_Duck's Avatar
    As far as my gay Russian friend in Moscow tells me, very badly, apparently there's very little acceptance, and there are a lot of thugs in Moscow who would attack someone for being gay. (He's still in the closet for that exact reason.)

I have no idea to what extent that's true, and I don't know about the rest of Russia.
    arrora likes this.
    Демоническая Утка
    Носитель английского языка, учу русский язык.
    Пожалуйста, исправьте мои сообщения!

Увлечённый спикер
    I've heard that it's pretty frowned upon in the cities and that's why I ask. I also hear there are certain streets that are common grounds for gay people to meet, and gay clubs, but nothing too abstract to be noticed.

Society tends to be tolerant to the very fact of someone being gay, but intolerant to gay publicity. Homosexuality is considered to be a deformity, but not a crime. Public propaganda of homosexuality is definitely not welcome. One can not get any special privileges (like quotas) for being gay.
    Antonio1986 likes this.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Увлечённый спикер
    That's pretty intense! Kind of upsetting (just based off of how much more open minded americans are -not saying everyone is open minded though-)

There're plenty of them in show-business or fashion industry. There are bars, clubs, etc. Gays are not openly discriminated, but ignored by the majority and generally, nobody cares about whom you sleep with. It is a personal matter, after all, and not to be brought to people's attention. Gay marriages are not legal, well, this doesn't mean two gays can't live together, etc, but legally, they're not bound by any legal obligations (matters concerning inheritance, for example). There's a family legislation in Russia which explicitly states that marriage is a social union of a man and a woman. Official church, though technically it is separated from the state, but nonetheless having a rather substantial support from the government, strongly opposes homosexuality.
    Generally, if you're a gay and you don't wear some extravagant clothing nobody will even know it, right? Some gay mannerism might be noticed and cause a few eyebrows to raise, but that's about all of the reaction you'd get.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo View Post
    Society tends to be tolerant to the very fact of someone being gay, but intolerant to gay publicity. Homosexuality is considered to be a deformity, but not a crime. Public propaganda of homosexuality is definitely not welcome. One can not get any special privileges (like quotas) for being gay.
    The whole idea of affirmative action doesn't sit well with me, because it shouldn't be needed. So I don't think anyone should have "special privileges" for their sexuality, or for any reason other than their own merit.

The problem with people being "intolerant to gay publicity", as you put it, is that more often than not what this really translates into is that when they a straight couple kissing intensely on TV, they're perfectly fine with their kids watching it, and yet they see a gay couple doing so much as holding hands and they're suddenly "morally outraged". The other thing is how immensely paranoid some people can be - there are even some people who believe in some sort of a "homosexual agenda" where gay people are trying to turn us all into homos, which is plainly absurd.

It genuinely boggles my mind how people can have any reaction other than "oh, OK then" to someone else's sexuality. The only time someone else's sexuality would bother me is if it was a girl I was interested in and she turned out to be a lesbian. (In which case I would say "whew! lucky escape there!" because all women are evil. But we'll leave that story for another time )
    Демоническая Утка

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic_Duck View Post
    The problem with people being "intolerant to gay publicity", as you put it, is that more often than not what this really translates into is that when they a straight couple kissing intensely on TV, they're perfectly fine with their kids watching it
    Yes, but what's wrong with a kid watching a straight couple kissing? The more the better I'd say.

The other thing is how immensely paranoid some people can be - there are even some people who believe in some sort of a "homosexual agenda" where gay people are trying to turn us all into homos, which is plainly absurd.
    I did say that somewhere, but I'll repeat -- nobody will succeed in turning you to homo if you're straight, but I object when children are told that being gay is 'being special' (all young people want to be special and sometimes they even invent things) or even 'being normal' (homosexuality is not, strictly speaking, normal). It is important that children are told that being straight is normal. They should be told that if a boy likes a girl it's normal, but when a boy likes a boy he might be... well, mistaken.

It genuinely boggles my mind how people can have any reaction other than "oh, OK then" to someone else's sexuality.
    I can only repeat -- if you don't plan to have sex with the person you speak with, is there really any need telling him or her about your sexual preferences or be interested in his (hers)?

Quote Originally Posted by krwright13 View Post
    That's pretty intense! Kind of upsetting (just based off of how much more open minded americans are -not saying everyone is open minded though-)
    As an aside, from a Central European viewpoint it's interesting to see Americans described as open-minded in regard to sexuality (not talking about individuals here, of course, but society and government, media etc.). In our viewpoint it's probably difficult to find any place in the Western world which is more repressed in that regard.
    Спасибо за исправления!

Вам нравится этот форум, и вы изучаете немецкий язык? Вот похожий форум о немецком языке.

The only time someone else's sexuality would bother me is if it was a girl I was interested in and she turned out to be a lesbian. (In which case I would say "whew! lucky escape there!" because all women are evil. But we'll leave that story for another time )
    BTW in my feeling our society is more tolerant towards female homosexuality than towards male one. It is considered to be funny rather than ugly.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

BTW in my feeling our society is more tolerant towards female homosexuality than towards male one. It is considered to be funny rather than ugly.
    Right up to a point you face it IRL )))

>homosexuality is not, strictly speaking, normal

I am left-handed, which also is not, strictly speaking, normal. I also have been gifted with languages. I am the only person I know who speaks more than one language. Guess I'm doubly abnormal.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil View Post
    I did say that somewhere, but I'll repeat -- nobody will succeed in turning you to homo if you're straight, but I object when children are told that being gay is 'being special' (all young people want to be special and sometimes they even invent things) or even 'being normal' (homosexuality is not, strictly speaking, normal). It is important that children are told that being straight is normal. They should be told that if a boy likes a girl it's normal, but when a boy likes a boy he might be... well, mistaken.
    You doubt that the laws of nature are stronger than the perverted human mind?

Старший оракул
    BTW in my feeling our society is more tolerant towards female homosexuality than towards male one.
    One of my acquaintances, a male, once said, "I don't understand gays; but I perfectly understand lesbians -- their bodies are actually attractive."

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by E-learner View Post
    One of my acquaintances, a male, once said, "I don't understand gays; but I perfectly understand lesbians -- their bodies are actually attractive."
    Yeah, and sometimes, I must say, their action can be really turning on. (that's why I really like bisexual females =)) )

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    You doubt that the laws of nature are stronger than the perverted human mind?
    Laws of nature are stronger. But nature dictates us to mate and produce offsprings. If 'nature' tells you otherwise then your genes have been marked 'defective' for future generations. Evolution does not need you.

Властелин
    Laws of nature are stronger. But nature dictates us to mate and produce offsprings.
    And what did I mean, to your mind? :/

I don't doubt I had no chance to get into the 'defective' way of thinking after viewing whatever number of 'gay pride movies', cuz I do believe the laws of nature (which hint me to search for a subject whose glands produce female sex hormones) are way stronger than the perverted human mind (which suggests that I consider each hole as a port to connect my device). That's it.

A 1999 review by researcher Bruce Bagemihl shows that homosexual behavior has been observed in close to 1,500 species, ranging from primates to gut worms, and is well documented for 500 of them.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

Biologically speaking, straight males should logically be more tolerant towards male homosexuality than female homosexuality. Male homosexuality takes males out of the gene-pool, which, from the point of view of a straight male, can only be a good thing. Female homosexuality, on the other hand, means there are less straight females to choose from when selecting a potential partner. (And vice-versa... straight females should be more tolerant towards lesbians than gay men. Again, I have generally found that the exact opposite is true - some women I have spoken to think that gay guys are "cute" but find lesbianism disgusting. I think the reason society as a whole seems to find lesbianism more acceptable than male homosexuality is that men tend to be more aggressive and vocal in their homophobic beliefs.)

Quote Originally Posted by chaika View Post
    >homosexuality is not, strictly speaking, normal

I am left-handed, which also is not, strictly speaking, normal. I also have been gifted with languages. I am the only person I know who speaks more than one language. Guess I'm doubly abnormal.
    AAAH! FREEEAK! We should lock you up and put you in a cage and poke you with sticks!
    Демоническая Утка

Laws of nature are stronger. But nature dictates us to mate and produce offsprings. If 'nature' tells you otherwise then your genes have been marked 'defective' for future generations. Evolution does not need you.
    Evolution created homosexuals to adapt and raise countless thousands of orphans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast