Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is food in Russia?

Re: How is food in Russia?

I likе piroshki пирожки, but they take a lot of time and effort to make so I don't make them often. Borsht борщ is another typical Russian dish. Most of the Russian food I have had has been bland. Missing the subtlty of salt, the nuance of pepper. I like my cooking with spices.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    I like dark Russian style dark bread (what's it called? I'd like to try baking it because I like breadmaking).
    It's called черный хлеб -- "black bread" -- although it's actually a light-brown color. And by many accounts, it's nearly impossible to reproduce in your own kitchen (at least here in America) because it's made from a 100% rye dough that is difficult to work with, even if you're quite experienced with home baking.

Russian "black bread":

Americans may imagine that "black bread" is similar to what we call "pumpernickel," but in fact, they're totally different. Our pumpernickel is simply American-style rye bread with caramel coloring (i.e., carbonized sugar) added in order to give it a brown-black color. And American-style "rye" bread is never 100% rye -- it's made with a mix of rye and wheat flours, typically at least 50% wheat, and sometimes closer to 75% wheat. This gives it a much lighter texture and a milder flavor than the 100% rye bread in Russia, which is very dense and has a somewhat sour flavor.

American "pumpernickel":

Of course, since Johanna is in Europe, it's possible that the rye flour available in markets there is different from American rye flour (for example, it might have a different gluten content, or be milled differently). And thus it might be possible for her to bake a Russian-style black bread at home.

ЗЫ: The etymological meaning of "pumpernickel", in German, is something like "farting demon"!
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

Завсегдатай

I think it's less common for people in Russia to be overweight.
    Fat (really fat, obese) people are extremely rare in Russia.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    I think it's less common for people in Russia to be overweight.
    Fat (really fat, obese) people are extremely rare in Russia.
    Even more rare in Russia: Obese children. Fatness is a condition of middle-aged Russians (i.e., 40 years and older).

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    But the way those ingredients are cooked makes all the difference. There are meatballs in both countries, but they taste very different.

Russian version:
    The Russian word for what you see in the photo is котлеты (notice that they are NOT what we would call "cutlets" in English!). Basically, you could start with a typical American meatball or meatloaf recipe -- i.e., ground meat (рубленное мясо) mixed with bread crumbs (панировочные сухари) or oatmeal (овсяные хлопья), and maybe a beaten egg, plus finely-chopped onions and other seasonings -- but then you shape this "ground-meat mixture" (фарш) into flat patties.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

I think that there must be something in the food in America because people get fat when they go there. I Russia always ate what ever I wanted, lots of bread and cheese and pastries and stayed skinny.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    I think that there must be something in the food in America because people get fat when they go there. I Russia always ate what ever I wanted, lots of bread and cheese and pastries and stayed skinny.
    Well, some people say that it's because the American diet has too much fructose, or too many "trans" fats. I think that's [s:u1gw7ayb]bullsh[/s:u1gw7ayb] ерунда, because I've eaten "junk food" all my life, and I'm not fat. В чем моя тайна? Although I enjoy candy and potato chips and Coke and other junk foods, I don't eat them every day of the month -- more like once per week. Even more importantly, I walk a lot, instead of driving in a car. If the weather is pleasant and the distance is less than a mile or so (меньше чем полтора километра), I always, ALWAYS walk.

Однако, много американцев считает, что лишь полкилометра -- это уже слишком далеко, для нормального человека ходить пешком!

Почтенный гражданин

Интересно, как бы американцы в своей массе восприняли упражнение в ходьбе на 2 мили с 80 фунтовым рюкзаком и с двумя ведрами помидор в руках?

А строительство погреба силами отца и сына-подростка?
    (рытьё ямы 8х7 футов площадью и 10 футов глубиной, с использованием лопат, лома, топора, ведра на верёвке и тачки,
    бетонирование высотой 1 ярд 4 дюйма, выкладывание кирпичём ещё на такую же высоту, бетонирование перекрытия, насыпка слоя земли высотой той же высоты - используется ведро, совковая лопата, тачка)
    Please correct my English

Почётный участник

А строительство погреба силами отца и сына-подростка?
    (рытьё ямы 8х7 футов площадью и 10 футов глубиной, с использованием лопат, лома, топора, ведра на верёвке и тачки,
    бетонирование высотой 1 ярд 4 дюйма, выкладывание кирпичём ещё на такую же высоту, бетонирование перекрытия, насыпка слоя земли высотой той же высоты - используется ведро, совковая лопата, тачка)
    Не повезло тебе, сочувствую. Так точно не потолстеешь.
    If my post contains errors of any kind, I'd appreciate anyone setting me straight.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Selexin
    Не повезло тебе, сочувствую.
    А по-моему, тут завидовать надо. Люди своими руками сделали хорошее дело, и кроме собственного погреба, приобрели еще опыт и много разных эмоций.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Почтенный гражданин

Я ни о чём не жалею Было интересно. Верно и то, что сложно было растолстеть. Впрочем, думаю, многие занимались такими делами.
    Please correct my English

Почтенный гражданин

Кстати, я давно хочу спросить, что в России пьют за столом? Где-то читал, что вино пьют женщины. А чем нам мужчинам принято упиваться?

Традиционно - водку или коньяк (причём часто женщины пьют то же, что и мужчины).
    В последнее время, правда, некоторые стали пить виски, ром, текилу и пр.
    В общем-то - это дело вкуса. Если застолье у кого-то в гостях - пьют то, что стоит на столе, если в ресторане - каждый может заказать себе то, что ему нравится. Я, кстати, тоже часто пью белое вино. Когда хочется чего-нибудь крепенького - пью ром.
    Ну и водку - когда выбор напитков не устраивает - водка в этом плане самый безопасный и нейтральный напиток.
    К тому же, с хорошей водки (которую можно различить даже по запаху) с утра голова не болит, в отличие от всего остального.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Почётный участник

приобрели еще опыт и много разных эмоций.
    Первый раз может быть и прикольно, но вот если приходится через это пройти еще раз то как то не очень хочется.
    Been there, done that...
    If my post contains errors of any kind, I'd appreciate anyone setting me straight.

Почётный участник

водка в этом плане самый безопасный и нейтральный напиток.
    Не перестаю удивляться как эту гадость еще не запретили выпускать. Это ж отрава!

Планирую поездку в Россию. Когда буду сидеть за столом с друзьями и они начнут пить алкоголь, как буду я не пить? Могу лгать, сказать, что врач велел не пить, но что еще?

Неужели русские не понимают, что алкоголь вренен организму?

Почётный участник

Могу лгать, сказать, что врач велел не пить, но что еще?
    Если совсем не хотите пить, попросите чтобы вам дали минералку и пейте ее. Вас поймут.
    Но можете выпить пару стопариков, чтобы поддержать компанию. Вовсе не обязательно пить наравне со всеми!

Неужели русские не понимают, что алкоголь вреден организму?
    Хороший алкоголь в малых количествах безвреден.

Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    Планирую поездку в Россию. Когда буду сидеть за столом с друзьями и они начнут пить алкоголь, как буду я не пить? Могу лгать, сказать, что врач велел не пить, но что еще?

Неужели русские не понимают, что алкоголь вренен организму?
    Можно просто сказать "не пью" и обычно это встречается с пониманием. Если кто-то настаивает, возможно стоит подумать над прекращением знакомства.

Quote Originally Posted by Selexin
    Но можете выпить пару стопариков, чтобы поддержать компанию. Вовсе не обязательно пить наравне со всеми!
    Comment for the foreigners: "пару стопариков" may mean 200 gramm or 0.2 liter of strong alcohole. Not so much really.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

The main mistake many people do is trying to keep up with some seasoned drinking professional. Just know your dose, that's all. Nobody requires to drink as much as the rest do. If you don't want to drink - then don't. Most normal people will understand.
    What concerns vodka - if you drink 50-100 ml it won't do you any harm, quite the opposite, especially if you had been eating some fat food (like pork, for example). It's only when you drink a bottle or seven you're in trouble.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Подающий надежды оратор

Планирую поездку в Россию. Когда буду сидеть за столом с друзьями и они начнут пить алкоголь, как [s:3i0mgi9n]буду я[/s:3i0mgi9n] я могу не пить ? Могу [s:3i0mgi9n]лгать[/s:3i0mgi9n] я соврать и сказать, что врач велел не пить(лучше: запретил мне пить), [s:3i0mgi9n]но[/s:3i0mgi9n] или что-то еще?
    Лучше просто сказать, что не пьете, это абсолютно нормально. Часто попадаю в подобные ситуации, поскольку пью крайне редко. Обычно говорю, что, к сожалению, пить сегодня не могу и пью сок или минералку. К тому же, почти в любой компании всегда есть кто-то, кто за рулем, так что в одиночестве, скорее всего, не будете.

Неужели русские не понимают, что алкоголь вреден организму?
    Понимают, но, к сожалению, порой слишком поздно. Лично я не вижу ничего плохого в том, чтобы раз в месяц выпить немного в хорошей компании, от этого нет вреда, но многие просто не знают меру, и это довольно большая проблема для России.
    Тот не ошибается, кто ничего не делает.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12