Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moscow versus Petersburg

Завсегдатай

Re: Moscow versus Petersburg

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Miles
    To be convincing you have to do better than: I went there last week with my girlfriend etc. Moscovites may well be biased, so producing some hard facts would make your case more credible. It's easy to dismiss evidence that doesn't support you as lies and statistics.
    I am from Petersburg. I lived there till I was 16. Am I not convincing for you either, even now?

I spent A LOT of time in both cities. PETERSBURG IS COLD!! MOSCOW IS WARMER!! Period.

If you don't believe us Russian people on this forum, why you ask us here, and not some meteorologist in some meteorology centre?
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Well, I will add one more thing - can you find any facts of the 'moderating influence of the sea' for Alaska, Northern Canada, Northern Siberia, Norway, Greenland etc.?

It's Arctic. Sea doesn't moderate anything there it just freezes.
    The Gulfstream alone is moderating the climate over the British Islands.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Почтенный гражданин Martin Miles's Avatar

The article on St. Petersburg in the Russian version of Wikipedia, presumably written by a Russian, says this:

"The humid, seaside climate of St. Petersburg, with warm summers and moderate winters, unusual for such latitudes, is explained by the influence of the Gulfstream...The character of the winter weather is defined by the fundamental influence of the Atlantic Ocean and the Baltic Sea. Winter in St. Petersburg is moderately cold, with some thawing that can last up to the middle of the season... Precipitation falls predominantly as snow..."

Ramil, Moscow actually gets more precipitation than Petersburg annually (705mm compared to 625). In winter most of it in both places is snow so the "rain makes it feel colder" argument does not apply. First it was the latitude that made it colder, then the humidity, then the rain...

If Оля lived in Petersburg up to the age of 16, why did he not make that argument when the question first came up, instead of saying: I spent a day there recently? I will believe the Russians in this discussion (all two of them) when they make themselves believable.

In any case, the question at issue is not a matter of life and death. I prefer to recall Pushkin's joke: In Russia in the winter it is too cold for love and in the summer there is too much light.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Пожалуйста, кто-то скажи мне, есть ли ошибки где-то.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Miles
    If Оля lived in Petersburg up to the age of 16, why did he not...
    Does anyone else think my avatar looks male?..

make that argument when the question first came up, instead of saying: I spent a day there recently?
    Sorry, I didn't know I should answer like I'm in a police office.

I will believe the Russians in this discussion (all two of them) when they make themselves believable.
    Ha ha... So you mean my sentence "Last weekend I travelled from Petersburg to Moscow with a girl from Khabarovsk, and she said, too, that Moscow is noticeably warmer" doesn't sound believable?? And such a strict tone!..
    You asked, we answered. You don't believe us - it's your problem. Don't ask us then. Your feedbacks are quite impolite. People want to answer your question and reply to you in good faith, and you call them liars... You're strange.

The article on St. Petersburg in the Russian version of Wikipedia, presumably written by a Russian...
    Since it's written that climate of St. Petersburg has "warm summers", I don't think that the acticle was written by a Russian. Perhaps by a Petersburger who loves his city very much and wants to place it in a good light (for tourists or whoever).

P.S.
    By the way, Wiki says that Petersburgers pronounce the Russian word "что" in a specific way, not like people in Moscow and other parts of Russia do. But in fact they pronounce it exactly like Moscovites and other Russians. You can hear that specific pronunciation of "что" from some very old people only. (But why am I wasting my efforts? You believe Wiki, weather forecasts and statistics, not real people.)
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Новичок

I had a great fun by reading this topic. It seems that Moscow and St. Petersburg hate each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Анечка
    I had a great fun by reading this topic. It seems that Moscow and St. Petersburg hate each other.
    How did you arrive to such a facinating conclusion?

Почётный участник

being a foreigner I do not know much about the difference between the people of these 2 cities, apart from historically (don't know what is like now) St. Petersburgers spoke Russian with a better accent than Muscovites...

but...

I have noticed something about people from Moscow, and please don't get mad at me anybody but umm, I don't think I'm crazy... but seems to me a lot of people I've met from Moscow have a certain strange attitude... I'm not saying everyone, but enough of them have it that I notice it is not unique to just one individual. This attitude is something like they are a little suspicious of people, at least people they just met...

ok maybe it's just me... but I swear that's what it seems like. Not everyone is like that of course, but enough that you think it is not just coincidence.

Новичок
    the replies in the thread is so funny, team SP and team M lol

Увлечённый спикер fabriciocarraro's Avatar
    Last year I went to Moscow during the summer and it was HOOOOOOOOOT!!

I'm brazilian, so I thought I'd be used to it, but it was one whole month of non-stop 35ºC, with the plus of the smog in the beginning of August.

Either way, I liked there. Though, there are many problems, but hey, is there a place in the world where there are none? =)

Властелин
    The last summer was unique.

I'm going back this summer to Moscow. Let's see how it's gonna be. =)

Well, I'm here in Moscow again and the summer is HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTT just like last year. I'm really having a bad time to sleep at night because of it. =/ I'm thinking of buying an air conditioner and taking it with me everywhere =P

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by fabriciocarraro View Post
    Well, I'm here in Moscow again and the summer is HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTT just like last year. I'm really having a bad time to sleep at night because of it. =/ I'm thinking of buying an air conditioner and taking it with me everywhere =P
    Wow! It's great! Welcome! How long do you be in Moscow?

I arrived here on the 16th of July and I'm staying until the 9th of August! Thanks for the welcome! =)

Подающий надежды оратор
    To be sure Moscow is colder in the winter but a little bit warmer in the summer and you may lay to that. And whoever argues with that ought to be keelhauled or hanged from the yardarm.

Новичок
    Quote Originally Posted by Анечка View Post
    Oh, definitely! Moscow was made the capital first time by Mongol-Tartars, second time by Bolsheviks. It explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanislav View Post
    Oh, definitely! Moscow was made the capital first time by Mongol-Tartars, second time by Bolsheviks. It explains a lot.
    Yep. And St. Petersburg became the capital by the Anti-Christ Peter the 1st who was a paranoid psyco and showed no mercy whatsoever. His new capital had also become proverbial by the sheer number of people who died from diseases and hard labour building the city on the swamps. It explains the rest.

LOL and generally, St. Peterstburg is built on a giant swamp. And weather there is miserable.

I just spent six days in St.P. and it was sunny 1/3 of the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12