Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Frightening photos from my home town.

Hanna

Re: Frightening photos from my home town.

Quote Originally Posted by BappaBa
    Yeah, I live in Evil empire!
    Oh no! That must be a new dangerous Russian weapon!
    Controlled by:

Help!!! Call NATO!!!!

Hanna

@Coffeecup
    Thanks for the nice compliment about my city! Yeah, I love it -- because of all the water mainly. It is much nicer than London. Stockholm has more nature, trees, wildlife, parks.
    If you come by while I'm in Stockholm, I'll take you on a tour + dinner and drinks!

However, there is an ugly side to Stockholm, in some suburbs. It is the result of a government plan. The government decided to build 1 million new Swedish homes in 10 years, to solve housing problems in the 1960s. The plan was met... but the houses are a bit ugly. See below. (In the front is a Stockholm metro train.)

They also decided to get rid of some old houses because they were 'un-hygenic' and not modern.
    So,the nice very old houses were demolished and people were moved to these ugly new houses...

Next they decided that central Stockholm needed some American-style scyscrapers and a USSR-inspired "House of Culture".

So they demolished some more nice old houses in the city-centre, to build these quite ugly buildings which nobody really wanted! The skyscrapers were ugly and most people had no idea what the enormous "House of Culture" was actually supposed to be used for.

(A part of Stockholm's House of Culture)

(Stockholms completely un-necessary "skyscrapers"... Not so high! )

Let's see some picture from Novosibirsk and other Russian cities!

Johanna! Thanks for the invitation!

Now it's my turn to show my city Novosibirsk. All the images except one I've found with the use of Google Maps with Photos. Unfortunately there is no "Street View" mode in the Google Maps for Novosibirsk.

The first one is the visiting card of Novosibirsk: "Novosibirsk's Opera and Ballet Theater". This theater was built up from late 30th to begin 40th. The opening show was held on May 12th 1945, only three days after the World War II. The construction includes the unique dome, which is a half of a sphere with a diameter being 60 meters, made of concrete (!!!) without any supporting girders or columns. The image I've selected because of lights and snow doesn't show the dome totally, if you follow the Wikipedia link above you'll see it from an aerial view, it's really impressive.

Novosibirsk is divided by a river for two parts. The river waist is about 1 km. Here you can see two bridges. One in the front is for cars and another behind for the underground trains.

Having such a river and do not using it for getting electricity is wasting money. Yeah, we have some hydro electric power plant.

Here is some great night view. The horizontal row of lights crossing the image top from left to right is the bridge you've seen above.

I've shown you so many images but you haven't seen the city yet. Here it is.

The one more point of interest is the Zoo. Here is my shot. What animal are you see on the image? ... A tiger? No! It's a liger. And we do have it in our zoo. Probably it's the only liger in Russia.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    Basil, what happened to the picture of the electrical pylons that you climbed in as a child? I got very curious what they looked like ----- but I could not see the picture?
    Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    Johanna, I know you asked Basil, yet it has been a couple of days and he has not responded, so maybe he is away and hopefully he will not mind me helping you out? The link to the photos is...
    Rockzmom, you were right, I was away, at Ukraine actually (once again in this thread ).
    Johanna can you see the photos now? If you don't I can repost them from that blog to the forum directly. And as I wrote above it's not the electrical pylons, they are radio signal retranslator pylons, they are much higher (more than 200 meters), and were much more unhealthy than they were functioning (nowdays satellites used instead of them). Imagine today's cell phone pylons but much more high and powerful.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

=) Someone was shooting a movie scene near my house last summer. =)

Hanna

I can't believe how NEW Novosibirsk looks!
    It looks almost American with the wide roads, skyscrapers etc.
    And then your explanation that the (very elegant) ballet and opera house is only 70 year old!
    What's the river called that it's on?
    What's the history of Novosibirsk? Perhaps it's quite a new city?

Another question: Is Novosibirsk near the little town of "Akademgorodok"?
    I read about that town in a blog post and it sounded fascinating.. I think it was mentioned that it was not far from Novosibirsk.

Завсегдатай

Yeah, I live in Evil empire!
    ОЙ! Мой дом на фотке! Под самой правой из трех толстых молний. Я в опасности!?!
    My house is under the right big light. I'm in danger?!

Завсегдатай

I've browsed entire this topic. It's rather interesting.

Now I know where BappaBa live!
    From the pictures in the message
    viewtopic.php?p=211129#p211129
    I establish coodinates :
    корпус 803, наверно второй подъезд с краю, этаж 5.

I also saw the same air parade from my window:

http://foto.mail.ru/mail/wowik/Parad20090509

А из нашего окна площадь Красная видна =)
    Раньше я любил говаривать: "А из нашего окна площадь Юности видна", теперь переехал.

Завсегдатай

No, it isn't!
    The little town of "Akademgorodok" is near Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk was founded as a railway station (near new railway bridge crossing the great river of Ob) in 1893 on the place of the old big village.
    Akademgorodok was constructed about 30 km south of the city center in 1957.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowik
    Now I know where BappaBa live!
    You are the pathfinder! =)

What's the river called that it's on?
    What's the history of Novosibirsk? Perhaps it's quite a new city?
    I read about that town in a blog post and it sounded fascinating.. I think it was mentioned that it was not far from Novosibirsk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowik
    No, it isn't!
    The little town of "Akademgorodok" is near Novosibirsk
    Novosibirsk was founded as a railway station (near new railway bridge crossing the great river of Ob) in 1893 on the place of the old big village.
    Akademgorodok was constructed about 30 km south of the city center in 1957.
    It is no use to state what is near what. Actually Akademgorodok is just a remote administrative part of Novosibirsk .
    Wowik have provided some good links to the history pages. Akademgorodok is the place where science lives in Novosibirsk. Many scientific institutes along with the Novosibirsk State University are located in Akademgorodok. Here is some aerial view.

Most buildings you can see here are some scientific institutes. Just in the center I can recognize the Institute of Automatics and Electrometry and the Institute of Cytology and Genetics. To the left of them there are the Institute of Mathematics and the Institute of Geology. To the right of the road there are the Institute of Organic Chemistry and the Institute of Catalysis.

As you can see Akademgorodok is ingrained to a forest. This makes Akademgorodok to be one of the most beautiful places.

. . . . .
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

You might be the evil empire, but Montauk, New York, even at the end of summer can be pretty cold. These photos were taken on Friday afternoon around 4pm during what was left of the storm surge from Tropical Storm Danny.
    Our fisherman is wearing a wet suit (maybe you Russian's would wear shorts?)

Montauk Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse in New York and is the 4th oldest active lighthouse in the U.S. It began operations in 1797.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Hanna

Great photos rockzmom! Thanks for sharing them.
    Your girls are gorgeous both of them!!

Thanks also Coffeecup for the info about Novisibirsk and Akademgorodok.
    I love the bit about the town being integrated with the forest, as you put it.

That's exactly how I want to live - integrated in nature.
    If I ever go for a term to Russia to study the language I'll seriously check for courses in this area because I don't like very big cities too much... 1 million is my upper limit really.... [/i] So WHAT am I doing in London, this urban jungle / dump... [/i]

Just made these shots out of my window. There's been an incredible sunset, but alas, my camera is too old and not too good to begin with to capture the color of the sky. I've made 16 shots. Here are the best ones:

Send me a PM if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Just made these shots out of my window. There's been an incredible sunset, but alas, my camera is too old and not too good to begin with to capture the color of the sky. I've made 16 shots. Here are the best ones:
    Ramil! You have been holding out on us!!! What an amazing view you have. You and Lampada might have a tie for the best views from their windows.

You must take a photo during the daytime for us, unless you fear Wowik will figure out your loaction and stalk you.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Ramil! You have been holding out on us!!! What an amazing view you have. You and Lampada might have a tie for the best views from their windows.
    Everything comes at a price. You can note that the traffic is heavy (the same goes on below even now - tomorrow children are going to schools so everything must be prepared). The noise and the smell are rather irritating.

You must take a photo during the daytime for us, unless you fear Wowik will figure out your loaction and stalk you.
    I think it's a little bit too late. He can already deduce it now I think. But don't worry. We can always get ourselves roaring drunk even if he finds me.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234