Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frightening photos from my home town.

Завсегдатай

Re: Frightening photos of my home town.

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    and local chestnut blossom (Does it look the same?)
    There are also rose ones:
    http://photo.i.ua/channel/163/1097727/

chestnut blossom closer
    http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/3011/sky ... bd629e3b_L

Photos are not mine.
    If you have problems with both posting new messages and sending PMs, you can send an e-mail to the Forum Administrator here:
    http://masterrussian.net/sendmessage.php
    У меня что-то с почтой, на ЛС ответить не могу. (

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    I [s:2rhbu5or]myself actually[/s:2rhbu5or] don't know for [s:2rhbu5or]shure[/s:2rhbu5or] certain (I always prefer the word certain; however, it is spelled sure and there is nothing wrong with using it, just a style choice.) what I had in mind starting this topic... I just found that blog and [s:2rhbu5or]desided[/s:2rhbu5or] decided [s:2rhbu5or]what[/s:2rhbu5or] that someone could find it interesting. I just came home and made a couple of photos from my balcony:

Rockzmom, I'll post more later in day light, if you wish.
    Ahhh! Basil, thank you. You did perfect by predicting my question before I had to ask you “What is that building in the photo?” It is a bank!!! Are you part mind reader???

And yes, to your other question and to all of you… I would love it very much to see as many photos day or nighttime of where you live, shop or recreation/park areas, even the mundane little things that you take as boring.

Remember, I am a clueless American when it comes to Russia, you are my tour guides. Show me (and others on this forum) your world and if you like… we can show you ours.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Great photos, guys! I want more.
    Лампада, отпад просто! Рыбу ловишь?
    Да, повезло нам с районом. У сына в этом же доме двухкомнатка. Рыболовов тут много, но мы её "ловим" в магазине.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    You have a nice view of the park below! If you have children, it must be nice for them to be able to play right outside and for you to be able to keep a bird's eye view on them!

I have always noticed how a city planners make sidewalks around a park and people will make their own paths right through the park, the shortest distance thing. You would think that planners would finally begin to build this into their plans.
    It's not a park. We call it a yard because there are many real parks in Moscow. There is a site about them. Unfortunately it has no English version but you can see some pictures of the parks views there.
    From my window, I have a view on ruins of the building on the opposite side of the street with a willow herb growing on were it's roof was

CoffeeCup, once again, you have proven you are definitely an excellent photographer. Didn't you win the award on another thread? You have a great eye. Have you studied this in school at all or is it just a hobby for you?
    I am infinitely happy with you liking my photos.
    I've just taken a camera and made a shot. Beginners are lucky.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

No, in Russia and Ukraine we have only Horse Chestnuts. They look almost the same as Sweet chestnuts, but they are not edible and even (as far as I know) they are two unrelated kinds of trees (different families). I wish we could eat them... There are bunches if chestnut trees everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaya
    There are also rose ones:
    gRomoZeka & Zaya, thank you for explaining and for the photos. These trees are soooo lovely and I have never seen anything like your chestnuts. One more "silly" question... do the flowers give off a fragrance?

Also Zaya, your second photo brought back a memory for me of a bush that we have around here and that I had right outside my bedroom window as a child; a “honeysuckle bush.” Do you have them in Russia?

This is like the one I had outside my window. I would open my window and let the breexe bring in the wonderful fragrance from the flowers!

You can pull the flower apart and actually slurp up the nectar. It is VERY sweet and sticky.
    Here is a REALLY cute video I found of how it is done…
    [video:280kmigi]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa2OcJ-WvMw[/video:280kmigi]

Quote Originally Posted by studyr
    It's not a park. We call it a yard because there are many real parks in Moscow.
    Studyr, if it has swings and slides etc., its a park/playground to me!

From my window, I have a view on ruins of the building on the opposite side of the street with a willow herb growing on were it's roof was.
    Studyr, It looks as if there is a man working on the side of the build and a crane there as well. Are they trying to renovate the haven for wild life or demolish it? If the willow tree is that tall, I am guessing that this building has been in disarray for some time. What was it before?
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Завсегдатай

gRomoZeka & Zaya, thank you for explaining and for the photos. These trees are soooo lovely and I have never seen anything like your chestnuts. One more "silly" question... do the flowers give off a fragrance?
    No, as far as I remember, they don't. But these days lilacs are in blossom too, so we have something else instead. ))

Also Zaya, your second photo brought back a memory for me of a bush that we have around here and that I had right outside my bedroom window as a child; a “honeysuckle bush.” Do you have them in Russia?
    I am from Ukraine and I have never seen it although the word "жимолость" is familiar to me. According to my encyclopaedia it does grow in Russia, but not in all its regions.
    If you have problems with both posting new messages and sending PMs, you can send an e-mail to the Forum Administrator here:
    http://masterrussian.net/sendmessage.php
    У меня что-то с почтой, на ЛС ответить не могу. (

Rockzmom, yes it looks like a park, I just mean that we call it a yard. There is no willow trees, it's willow herb on the roof, it looks so:

in august. And builders are working there but this is not the first attempt to renovate it. I hope they finally will make it looking OK, not as ''Frightening photos of my home town.''

I hope they finally will make it looking OK, not as ''Frightening photos of my home town.''
    My terrible English cause this misunderstanding. I didn't mean that my town is so ugly, I just wanted to say that when I looked at the photos I was really scared because it's too high.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Подающий надежды оратор

Great pictures everyone, it's great to see all these different perspectives!

Basil, you could use "from" instead of "of" and that would clear up that misunderstanding by applying the adjective "frightening" to the photos and not the town itself.

Hey brandonp,

Pony up, where are your POVs???

Подающий надежды оратор

Haha, maybe I will dust my camera off and take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

About blooming chestnut trees... I just returned from Ukraine and made these photos at a small village near the border between Ukraine and Russia. It's a shame that the weather that day when I passed the village was rainy, but I found the composition of blooming chestnut trees, Lenin statue and an orthodox church is rather interesting:

Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

...I found the composition of blooming chestnut trees, Lenin statue and an orthodox church is rather interesting:
    ЧуднО смотрится огромный постамент под маленьким памятником Ленину. Да еще и рядом с церковью. Это новодел?

About blooming chestnut trees... I just returned from Ukraine and made these photos at a small village near the border between Ukraine and Russia. It's a shame that the weather that day when I passed the village was rainy, but I found the composition of blooming chestnut trees, Lenin statue and an orthodox church is rather interesting:
    Basil,
    Lastnight I had the opportunity to see your photos, yet today, they will not come up I must say, even though the weather was not perfect, I appreciate you taking the time to make these and post them these as I have NEVER seen such magnificent trees.

And you are right about your composition. I was trying to think of something to relate it to and I just cannot. So for me, it is just so hard to wrap my head around these things unless I have photos AND someone saying here look...
    One of these things is not like the other things. One of these things just doesn't belong.

Quote Originally Posted by BappaBa
    ЧуднО смотрится огромный постамент под маленьким памятником Ленину. Да еще и рядом с церковью. Это новодел?
    А фиг его знает. Просто проезжал мимо и решил сфоткать. Церковь выглядит, как будто к полуразрушенному сельскому клубу приделали сверху колоколенку. Там еще рядом вечный огонь и памятник погибшим в Великой Отечественной, буквально за каштанами, жаль в один кадр всё не уместилось.

Re: Frightening photos from my home town.

Views from work, I am between the 2 cams.
    Left of my office:
    http://www.capecodlivecam.com/hyannisharbor.shtml
    Right of my office:
    http://www.capecodlivecam.com/hyline.shtml
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Завсегдатай

They are Nice webcam views! Especially the Right one, because the left one doesn't show anything to me.
    I watched the manydecked ship left the harbour - looks nice.

You could appoint the appropriate for the Russians time, go out, stay there and vawe to us and make your vawing Global.
    We all could see you.
    Say, at nine o'clock in the Moscow, you could take a short break, go out, chouse the noticeable spot and make a little flashmob for us!
    Я так думаю.

Leof, it's been done. Problem is 9 hours difference in time. We'll see what happens.
    Last summer I had 2 Russian kids that worked with m, They made a big ПРИВЕТ sign for their friends and family. All the other Russian kids head about it and started doing the same. People from the bar use the cam on the left with men "mooning" and women "flashing".

We'll see what happens.
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Завсегдатай

When to stare? Where?
    Have you done this already?
    Я так думаю.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast