Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Throbert McGee
  • 1 Post By alexsms
  • 1 Post By eisenherz
  • 1 Post By Dmitry Khomichuk

Thread: Russian - english

Greetings from Russia!

Hi, my name is Veronika (but better to just Nika)!
    I'm 18 years old and I'm from Russia (Sankt-Petersburg).
    I really want to learn English! Firstly because it is a terrific language that opens a lot of possibilities, and secondly because my father lives in Canada (he was Russian) and I want to move there.
    I can help you with the study of Russian language.
    I will be glad if someone wants to chat with me here.) But it seems to me that it is better to talk on Skype (it's more efficient).

I look forward to meeting you all!
    Thank you for reading this)

P.S.: This is my first post on this forum and my english is poor. So I apologize for the mistakes...

Russian - english

Hi, my name is Veronika (but better to just Nika)!
    I'm 18 years old and I'm from Russia (Sankt-Petersburg).
    I really want to learn English! Firstly because it is a terrific language that opens a lot of possibilities, and secondly because my father lives in Canada (he was Russian) and I want to move there.
    I can help you with the study of Russian language.
    I will be glad if someone wants to chat with me here.) But it seems to me that it is better to talk on Skype (it's more efficient).

I look forward to meeting you all!
    Thank you for reading this)

P.S.: This is my first post on this forum and my english is poor. So I apologize for the mistakes...

my Skype: nik190295

Your English actually looks really good to me
    Welcome to the forum!
    Вот потому, что вы говорите то, что не думаете, и думаете то, что не думаете, вот в клетках и сидите. И вообще, весь этот горький катаклизм, который я здесь наблюдаю, и Владимир Николаевич тоже…

Почётный участник
    Welcome to MR!

Привет, Вероника. Меня зовут Джейден. Я учусь говорить на Русском.
    Btw, in English Veronika would be spelled "Veronica". Please let me know if i spelled it wrong in Russian.
    It's cool just to type stuff cause somebody will correct any mistakes. That's the best way to learn. Oh, and "Санкт-Петербург" is spelled "Saint Petersburg" in English.
    One more mistake. (Better to just use Nika).

Your English is very good! And you will learn a lot more just posting in the forum. Удачи!

Oh, thanks for the correction, Джейден (sorry, I don't know, how do you spell your name for English)
    Strangely, I was always told, is written by "K", but I remember that the right to write "VeronikCa".
    Stupid mistake with St. Petersburg) typo

I'll try to remember all of the fixes and will not be wrong!))

Maybe you'd like to correspond with me?)

Quote Originally Posted by volcano View Post
    Oh, thanks for the correction, Джейден (sorry, I don't know, how do you spell your name for English)
    Strangely, I was always told, is written by "K", but I remember that the right to write "VeronikCa".
    Stupid mistake with St. Petersburg) typo

I'll try to remember all of the fixes and will not be wrong!))

Maybe you'd like to correspond with me?)
    I would like to correspond with you when I have some free time. I have been very busy with school and stuff so I haven't been online very much.
    In English, my name is Jaden but my friends mostly just call me Jay. Names are kinda loose in America. "Veronica" is the normal spelling but Veronika works too.
    Btw, I like "Sankt Petersburg" more than "Saint Petersburg" cause it's really more correct. It's like when people call "Москва", Moscow... It just doesn't sound right cause that's not how it's spelled. That's why I like to use the Cyrillic to type Russian words - it's less confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by UhOhXplode View Post
    I would like to correspond with you when I have some free time. I have been very busy with school and stuff so I haven't been online very much.
    In English, my name is Jaden but my friends mostly just call me Jay. Names are kinda loose in America. "Veronica" is the normal spelling but Veronika works too.
    Btw, I like "Sankt Petersburg" more than "Saint Petersburg" cause it's really more correct. It's like when people call "Москва", Moscow... It just doesn't sound right cause that's not how it's spelled. That's why I like to use the Cyrillic to type Russian words - it's less confusing.
    Do not worry, I'll be glad to talk with you at any time, Jaden)
    When a transliteration of my name in the passport wrote "VeroniKa". Most likely because of this I am writing as well.
    Hm, Nic(k)a, too, will be written by "С"?
    Yep, I agree with you. I think it's not quite right, write the names of cities and countries in every language in different ways.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Veronica is how its normally spelt here. Its a common name.
    *Your Favorite Brand Name Chip!*

The name "Veronica" invariably makes me think of the teenage comic-book heroines Betty and Veronica:

(This one is from the WW2 era -- apparently, stockings without a seam running up the back of the leg were only invented in the 1950s. "Betty Cooper" was blonde and middle-class, "Veronica Lodge" was brunette and very wealthy. And although they were best friends, they were also perpetual enemies because they were both in love with red-headed "Archie Andrews," who was supposed to be a "normal all-American teenage boy.")
    dtrq likes this.

Dmitry Khomichuk
    Her (left girl) EYES!

They are terrible! You can scare children with this picture.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by volcano View Post
    When a transliteration of my name in the passport wrote "VeroniKa". Most likely because of this I am writing as well.
    The passport bureau in Russia often make mistakes when issuing foreign passports. In my current passport they used the 'name' ALEKSANDR - which is of course incorrect spelling. In my mother's passport they wrote NADEZDA - a letter is missing. So the people there are really illiterate.
    Deborski likes this.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post

(This one is from the WW2 era ...
    Throbert, Вы хорошо сохранились...)

Quote Originally Posted by Fritomaster View Post
    Veronica is how its normally spelt here. Its a common name.
    'Veronika' is also common in many places around the world.... i would leave it as is - i cannot understand why one would want to 'americanise' everything
    Deborski likes this.
    please always correct my (often poor) russian

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by eisenherz View Post
    'Veronika' is also common in many places around the world.... i would leave it as is - i cannot understand why one would want to 'americanise' everything
    I agree, eisenherz. At the same time in foreign passports issued in Russia the data is typed in Russian and English (so the 'passport body' should use the correct English spelling). But i know that in Deutsch - the name is spelt 'Veronika'. So to me it's often a technical issue. I know that my name is spelt differently in French or Italian, or Spanish (I mean there is a tradition to spell a given name in a certain way in any language).

Dmitry Khomichuk
    It is not a mistake. They do not TRANSLATE names in passports. They TRANSLITERATE it. Yes, there are some silly rules; but they have a table with the Latin characters for the Russian ones.

Тебя же не зовут по-русски Александер.
    dtrq likes this.