Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: because...

Почётный участник
    I just don't see why spanish is so popular, or even still tought in highschools when it is virtually useless.
    Mind-boggling.

If they wern't so lazy, you wouldn't have all those groups of foriegners who set up shop in 45% of miami, or wherever.
    The reasons that the "foreigners" set up shop in Miami, is because, as mostly Cubans, they have managed to flee Castro's "poor-causing" finger about 80 miles to Florida. You see, sometimes they have large families, and they can not take all of them across the water, so a few have to stay in Cuba, and continue to be poor. When you live right by Cuba, you can send things to Cuba, to support your loved ones, etc. Also, if you have just floated to another country with very little on your back, how would you plan on heading further north into the new land? And once they have a business, they see that they can make money where they are at, so why should they move?

My point was that just because you find the language useless, doesn't mean that it is useless. For example, I don't speak Polish, and I have no idea what products that Poland produces. For all I care, Poland could cease to exist, and I doubt it would have a huge impact on my life. The Poles could say the same thing about me, this individual. I'm sure that Polish is a very important language to them, otherwise they wouldn't speak it. Do I think that people should learn Polish? Yes, if they want to go to Poland, or interact with Polish people. Almost any language you speak can get you a good job in the military, if that's your cup of tea, as a translator.

A country doesn't have to make itself a part of your life to have their language taught in other countries.

I wonder how would you be able to explain the following:
    1. Attractions between the atoms in each protein molecule make the polypeptide chain fold up into a rather rigid structure with a form appropriate to its particular function — for instance, with small pocket that is the attractive site where an enzyme catalyze a chemical reaction. Also, many functional proteins consist of a tight cluster of two or more polypeptides.
    Many, many diagrams. Or with math, somehow...
    Let's all become Circumcellions.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Liza
    Actually, there are quite a few others. Just so you know what you're talking about (although it doesn't seem like you would care about anything concerning these countries), they are: Angola, East Timor, Mozambique, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau and Sao Tome and Principe.
    I forgot to write (that i know of) after "nobody else speaks "...", believe it or not. I knew i should have written that just to protect myself from situations like this. Situations where people have nothing better to do than dust off their grandfather's encyclopedia and look up which countries that are smaller than Omaha Nebraska speak what languages. OK you got me there, but only because I forgot to write what i should have.

Oh yea, when is the last time you went to, or met anybody, or just HAD TO CONVERSE for some reason with anybody from those countries. And i highly doubt that it is the national language of ALL of those pissant places, it is probly just widely spoken there. (just like spanish is widely spoken in the US).

Quote Originally Posted by Liza
    you might also be surprised to know that there are countries in South America where the official language is French, Dutch and even English.
    I wish i could slap you. Are you really hoping that i say " NO THEY DON'T THEY ONLY USE CLICKING SOUNDS IN REMOTE MOUNTAIN COUNTRIES!, so you can go and pull out your world book on geography again, because i doubt you can name those countries either. And i bet those languages again, are not the only national languages in the country. Even canada has french, and africa has *gasp* arabic, and yes *english*.

Jasper May wrote:
    Maybe it's important in America, but Spanish isn't that important to the rest of the world
    Wow, do you really think so?? I'm sure it's very important to all the countries in Latin America - not to mention elsewhere in the world. And, mind you, Latin America makes up a large part of that "rest of the world".[/quote]

I defend jasper here, i think we had already discussed the south american thing by this time, and he was referign to the "asia/europe/africa" "part of the rest of the world".

Quote:
    I just don't see why spanish is so popular, or even still tought in highschools when it is virtually useless.

Mind-boggling.
    Why ? IT IS USELESS. I can see why they might teach Turkish in swedish schools, because those countries have love affairs with each others sky resorts... But besides old people moving to mexico to retire... besides panama, i can't think of any major event (in the past few years) that has DIRECTLY affected a spanish speaking country and America.

You people need to understand im not just bashing spanish, as useless as it is. French, and even russian are pretty useless too. If someone asked me why i was learning russian, and then started arguing with me about how useless it is... they would probably win. Im not saying "Don't learn spanish" im simply confused as to why it is just so popular when it is so useless. And if i hear someone say "All of south america speaks spanish" one more time I'll be forced to tell you that over 2 billion people speak chinese and punjabi combined. But you don't see these languages offered in high schools.

I'd say, with russia, and all the former USSR countries combined, only about 200 to 250 million people speak russian(just a rough guess, feel free to get your almanac to correct me here). So obivoulsy you can't play the numbers game with rusian, and drop it with the spanish. The only reason you should learn it, is to go help poor people in poor south american countries. Spanish is useless, not that many people speak it, and the only people who learn it are the n00b language learners.

@Joysof - I probably speak better english than you.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Завсегдатай
    Ooh, this is funny! Pardon me for interrupting your discussion, but I just had to throw something in:
    DON'T FORGET THE PUNJABI!

Почётный участник
    Quote:

[quote:2ltqms2y]Mind-boggling.
    Why ? IT IS USELESS. I can see why they might teach Turkish in swedish schools, because those countries have love affairs with each others sky resorts... But besides old people moving to mexico to retire... besides panama, i can't think of any major event (in the past few years) that has DIRECTLY affected a spanish speaking country and America.[/quote:2ltqms2y]

We... border... Mexico... so... we... should... learn... their... language... to... easily... communicate... with... them...

Name one country that doesn't teach the language of neighboring nations in their schools.

al
    Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    I'll be forced to tell you that over 2 billion people speak chinese and punjabi combined. But you don't see these languages offered in high schools.
    Here in Vancouver they do offer these languages in high school
    Хорошо не просто там где нас нет, а там где нас никогда и не было.

al
    Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by EffMah
    Many, many diagrams. Or with math, somehow...
    But math is a language, isn't it?

Завсегдатай
    Wow great. Austrailia boarders indonesia, and i bet that only about 4 percent of aussies actually USE the indonesian they were tought in school.

The USA also boarders RUSSIA. There is only something like 83 miles of bearing straight between Alaska and Russia. Why isn't russian tought in highschool ?

And i bet they don't teach kazakh, belorussian, uzbek, armenian, polish, latvian, estonian, lithuainian, ukrainian, chinise, mongolian and korean in russian highschools, they might teach 2 or 3, but what, are you gunna teach all these languages just because they boarder these countries ?
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Старший оракул
    In Russian secondary and high schools they teach:
    In most cases English
    In many cases German
    In few cases French
    In very few cases Spanish.
    There are separate special schools with Chinese (as far as I know 1 in Moscow among thousand schools) and may be several others.

But the foreign language as a school subject is rather badly taught in most cases. Just to show that it is there.

Почётный участник
    I don't know how you got that America borders Russia, because bordering a country means the two countries are connected by land, not some underwater ground, otherwise we would border Europe as well. The Bering Strait is submerged, in case you didn't know.

Where I come from, taking Spanish isn't a required course, so most people take it only if they plan on using it. In fact, it wasn't required in Washington when I was there either...

I'm not the other countries' governments, so I don't decide what they teach in their schools, but you will always find that they teach languages that border their country, more so in areas close to the border than on the opposite side of it. Continuing arguing about this fact is pointless, as everyone will have something to say about it, and it will detract from the original topic of this thread (God knows what that is...) so lets just drop it, and say everyone is a winner.

But math is language, isn't it?
    Indeed it is, but it's one that all nations speak the same (if their information is up to date). Math is a universal language, if you will.

(I just realized that I don't know whether to write 'a' or 'an' in front of universal, saying 'a' sounds more correct to me...)

al
    Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by EffMah
    (I just realized that I don't know whether to write 'a' or 'an' in front of universal, saying 'a' sounds more correct to me...)
    I think it's 'a' because 'universal' begins with a consonant sound (the one that written with the letter 'й' in Russian).

Завсегдатай
    If 4 spetsnaz got in a row boat with a sack of potatoes and 2 AK74-Su's and were heading east from the anadyr platue going 5 knots an hour. If they continued on thier current path they would hit alaska. besides, if it was winter, they could practically walk over the ice. It's just as close to boardering it as it gets.

Почётный участник
    It's still not bordering.

Старший оракул
    I think there must be some kind of a border. I know that there really exist water borders for some length after a shore. Of course oceans are too large for this (like, between USA and France), but there's a little space between Chukotka and Alaska. Former Soviet (and I think modern Russian) north frontier was up to North Pole.

After a little while... Ah! Yes, I got it from encyclopaedia!

БЕРИНГОВ ПРОЛИВ,
    между материками Евразия и Сев. Америка. Соединяет Сев. Ледовитый ок. с Тихим ок. Длина 96 км, наименьшая ширина 86 км, наименьшая глубина 36 м. Назван по имени В. Беринга. Посреди Берингова пролива, между о-вами Диомида, проходит государственная граница Российской Федерации и США.

Почётный участник
    We had already established that the Bering Strait connected the two nations, but it's under the water now, so it no longer serves as a border; the kind of border like the American-Mexican border, or the American-Canadian border. You can't drive across the Bering Strait to Russia.

Plus, I barely count Alaska as America. Too far away, and too "Canada". Same with Hawaii, consarn it!

Старший оракул
    OK, may be in English a "border" means that it is on land. Граница may be everywhere, она проходит по суше или по морю. May be it is frontier then?

Почётный участник
    It clearly connects the two, and used to be a land border, but now it's submerged, which destroys all ways of traveling their by foot or car. If we are going by stuff that's under the water, we would have countries that say they border Austrailia. The border that I'm talking about is a land border where you have to cross some sort of checkpoints to be let into the nation. I'm sure they have them on the shore, but it's just not the same, so Russia doesn't really border America per se, just in the sense of "it's close, but too far away."

Почтенный гражданин
    You might also be surprised to know that there are countries in South America where the official language is French, Dutch and even English.
    Dogboy I dont own any encyclopedias, but just so you know...
    Belize-english
    Suriname-Dutch
    French Guiana-French
    Brazil-Portuguese
    *to my knowledge* the other 17 countries in central and south america are spanish speaking.

And here in Texas, (btw Pravit your "texas accent" is more of a tidewater/back woods/po-dunk hick thing, not a whole lot of texans actually have that southern drawl. ) spanish is taught in nearly every elelmentary, middle and high school there is. simply because we border Mexico. Whether its laziness or their inability to learn english we take some initiative and learn spanish. Besides your salary will at the very least double if you are bilingual. My dad speaks spanish because the majority of his clients dont speak english, but he's not going to say he cant represent them because they cant speak english. Thats anything but fair.
    Really to get by with spanish in a high school here, just put buey (pronounce it "way")on the end of every sentence

I doubt anyone will get that, where are all the native spanish speakers??

Plus, I barely count Alaska as America. Too far away, and too "Canada".

Почтенный гражданин
    @Joysof - I probably speak better english than you.
    Doubtless. You write the language erratically at best, however.
    А если отнять еще одну?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12