Thread: Укажите на ошибки в письме

Новичок

Укажите на ошибки в письме

Здравствуйте Пишу очень важное для меня письмо человеку в США. Пожалуйста, прочитайте и внесите корректировки. Напишите здесь или мне на ящик: vladimirzavidovich@gmail.com. Заранее спасибо.
    Ниже под письмом - первоначальная версия на русском.

Hello!
    Dear ХХХ, it was so exciting to read your message!

I have already collected most of materials to apply. Unfortunately, I`ll be able to send the letter to NY only on Tuesday (30th of June), because the Constitution Day (which happened to be today) and the day after are the days-off. By the way, I have some questions about the registration procedure, and I hope You can answer them.

1. Announcement says: mail via Ukrainian post office only. In such way my letter is going to reach NY is 10 days or faster. Isn`t it too long? May I use the faster way and mail through express delivery (DHL or Fedex)?
    2. Is the recommendation from a friend supposed to be written in the same form, like the one from a teacher? May it be written in a free form?
    3. Speaking about life experiences: would I just list them, or it`s necessary to send letters of commendation (copies)?
    4. Am I supposed to send copies of school certificates, or the official fully legible four-year school transcript will be enough?
    5. I have to give an empty envelope to teacher writing a recommendation. Does it mean, that this application must be mailed separately from the rest of the materials?

I`m sorry for writing such a bulky letter. But I do hope to read Your answer.
    Best regards, Vladimir.

P.S. Writing 3 letters in 3 languages. Choose the one you like.

Здравствуйте, ХХХ!
    Ваш ответ на мое письмо вызвал во мне бурю эмоций, перешедших в желание немедленно действовать.

Большинство необходимого для регистрации материала уже собрал, но, к сожалению, по не зависящим от меня причинам (выходные+день Конституции => не работает почта) смогу отправить письмо лишь во вторник (30.06). Кроме того, у меня возник ряд вопросов, на которые Вы, надеюсь, сможете дать мне ответы.
    1. Указано, что можно пользоваться лишь государственной почтовой службой. Меня заверили, что таким образом мое письмо дойдет до США в течение 10 дней. Успею ли я до тестирования, учитывая такие сроки? Нельзя ли воспользоваться услугами спешной почты (частной)?
    2. Характеристика от друга должна быть написана в той же форме, что и от учителя? Или возможен вариант свободного написания (в форме письма)?
    3. Касательно жизненных достижений: нужно лишь перечислить? Или необходимо с письмом послать копии грамот?
    4. Нужно ли посылать копии аттестатов? Или достаточно официального школьного транскрипта?
    5. Указано, что пишущему характеристику учителю нужно дать пустой конверт. Значит ли это, что эту характеристику нужно отправлять отдельно от всех документов?

Простите, если написал слишком много, но я искренне надеюсь, что Вы мне ответите.
    С уважением, Владимир.
    P.S. Не знаю, на каком языке желательно обращаться. Пишу 3 варианта, выберите удобный для Вас.

Re: Укажите на ошибки в письме

Hi Vladimir,

Please note that I do not read or speak any Russian. So I took your English version.

I also do not know if you are sending this to a person via email, fax or regular mail, so the format would be a little different for each.

I would also add any identifcation number that they may have assigned to you so that they can easily match your name and letter to your file.

I added a few other questions that I thought you might need to know the answer to. If you already know them, just delete.

Here are some links about writing business letters:
    http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/653/02/
    http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/653/01/

Good luck and if you have any questions you can ask me here or send me a PM. Rockzmom.

If by regular mail, the format would be:

Vladimir Zavidovich
    Your Address
    Your City and Postal code
    Your Country
    vladimirzavidovich@gmail.com
    ID# xxxxxx

Date

Person's First and Last Name
    Street Address
    City, State Zip Code
    USA

Dear Mr. or Ms. XXX:

Example:
    Vladimir Zavidovich
    Your Address
    Your Country
    ID# xxxxxx

June 30, 2009

Ernie English
    1234 Writing Lab Lane
    Write City, IN 12345

Dear Mr. English:

If by email the format would be:

Dear Mr. or Ms. XXX:

If by Fax:
    Vladimir Zavidovich
    Your Address
    Your Country
    ID# xxxxxx

Date

Person's First and Last Name
    Street Address
    City, State Zip Code
    USA

(this should be in the center of the page) SENT VIA FACSIMILIE

Dear Mr. or Ms. XXX:

Example:

Vladimir Zavidovich
    Your Address
    Your Country
    ID# xxxxxx

June 30, 2009

Ernie English
    1234 Writing Lab Lane
    Write City, IN 12345

(this should be in the center of the page) SENT VIA FACSIMILIE

Dear Mr. English:

-------
    (here is the body of the letter that I have rewritten for you)

It was very exciting to receive your message and application instructions!

I have already collected most of materials requested for the application to apply for xxx. I should be able to send the package to you by XXX. This date is due to the fact that we are currently celebrating our Constitution Day Holiday and many places are closed for the holiday and the next few days thereafter.

Additionally, I have some questions about the registration procedures, and I hope you will be able to clarify them for me.

1. The instructions state that the package should be mailed via Ukrainian post office only. If this is to be done in such a manner, my package to you will take approximately ten business days to reach you in New York. Is that going to be too long of a time period? May I use a faster way and mail the package via an express delivery service such as DHL or FedEx?

2. Is the letter of recommendation from a friend supposed to be written in the same format as those as the ones of my professors? May it be written in a free form style?

3. When describing my life experiences, should I just list them and provide details, or is it necessary to send letters of commendation or recommendation as well?

4. Do you require complete officially sealed four-year college or university transcripts? Do you need these to be translated into English as well? Or will an unofficial copy and/or copies of my certificates and/or diplomas be sufficient?

5. I have provided envelopes to my professors who are writing my letters of recommendations. Should these be mailed to you under separate cover directly from the professors or as long as they are sealed, may they be included in the package that I will be sending to you? If I have not received all of the letters of recommendation back by the time that I am mailing the package, is it possible for me (or the professors) to scan the letter and email it to you?

I believe these are all the questions that I have at this time and if I find I have any others I will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter and I look forward to your responses.

With kind regards,

Vladimir Zavidovich
    ID# xxxxxx
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom

Please note that I do not read or speak any Russian.
    Sheesh. You must have learned SOMETHING by now.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb
    Dear Paulb! You've missed an important information: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16413&p=209093&hilit=Spanish#p 209093
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Quote Originally Posted by paulb

Paul...

Oh, I can now recognize a few words in the films; but, if I were to try and type them, and not in Cyrillic, Olya would be ALL OVER ME!

Remember, I am the one who has been married to a native Spanish speaker for almost 18 years now and I STILL don't know enough Spanish to carry on a conversation.

What can I tell you? When you fall out of a moving vehicle when you are five years old… something’s got to go and it was my language skills, or was it my interpersonal communication skills, or my short term memory? I just don't know any longer.
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Завсегдатай

Olya would be ALL OVER ME!
    What has Olya to do with that if Russian language is just meant to be written in Cyrillic?
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Olya would be ALL OVER ME!
    What has Olya to do with that if Russian language is just meant to be written in Cyrillic?
    No, you should be! You have been a great teacher and taught me that IF I am ever going to write it MUST be in Cyrillic or nothing at all!!!