Thread: проходной двор

Завсегдатай

проходной двор

Есть ли в английском выражение, аналогичное нашему "проходной двор"? Например, я смотрела недавно передачу про НЛО, и там было сказано, что инопланетяне так часто посещают нашу планету, что Земля - это просто какой-то проходной двор.
    Или если к человеку в комнату слишком часто заходят разные люди, он может взорваться и сказать им "Хватит тут ходить, это вам не проходной двор!"

Edit. Don't read this page, go right away to the next. Translationsnmru has formulated my question better.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Re: проходной двор

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Есть ли в английском выражение, аналогичное нашему "проходной двор"? Например, я смотрела недавно передачу про НЛО, и там было сказано, что инопланетяне так часто посещают нашу планету, что Земля - это просто какой-то проходной двор.
    Или если к человеку в комнату слишком часто заходят разные люди, он может взорваться и сказать им "Хватит тут ходить, это вам не проходной двор!"
    maybe throughway...we don't have "проходной двор" in our architecture.
    Is "проходной двор" ever used in the plural?
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by sperk
    we don't have "проходной двор" in our architecture.
    The literal meaning is not the point. I just wonder if there is any corresponding expression like that in English.

Is "проходной двор" ever used in the plural?
    Well, yes, it is, but only in its literal meaning, so it has nothing to do with the expression "Это вам не проходной двор!"
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

we don't have "проходной двор" in our architecture.
    The literal meaning is not the point. I just wonder if there is any corresponding expression like that in English.
    /quote]

apparently you missed it: THROUGHWAY

Завсегдатай

Why do you shout?

You wrote first "maybe throughway...", by the way.

Why do you shout?

You wrote first "maybe throughway...", by the way.
    Maybe you don't realize it but your response to me, when read by a native speaker, was quite rude, like everything I offered and asked for was stuffed right back in my face.

Завсегдатай

Maybe you don't realize it but your response to me, when read by a native speaker, was quite rude, like everything I offered and asked for was stuffed right back in my face.
    I am sorry for saying that, dear sperk, but I, personally, find quite rude your reply. I mean "apparently you missed it: THROUGHWAY".

And, since we have this talk, you know, I always found quite impolite that you almost never said "thanks" in your threads when asked help on this forum. You started to do that just lately. I was even surprised.
    Say, here:
    viewtopic.php?f=44&t=13858
    You didn't neither answer my questions nor say thanks to me or to vbar.
    As for the forum "Grammar and Vocabulary", one can find there a dime a dozen of your threads where you ask something, people reply, and no any "thanks" or at least "got it now" from you.

I only don't understand - if you find me so rude, why do you reply in my thread? It isn't worth, really. I can wait for others.

when read by a native speaker
    And, by the way, don't speak for all native speakers.

Что за потасовка... на ровном месте? Немедленно мириться!
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    на ровном месте?
    Не ко мне вопрос. Человек сам "наорал", и сам же наехал на ровном месте. Прошу отрезать этот базар в отдельную тему (название - "How rude Olya is", например; пусть там, что ли, примеры приведет, где и когда ему "stuffed right back in his face"), а то мне нормально про проходной двор никто и не ответит.

на ровном месте?
    Не ко мне вопрос. Человек сам "наорал", и сам же наехал на ровном месте. Прошу отрезать этот базар в отдельную тему (название - "How rude Olya is", например; пусть там, что ли, примеры приведет, где и когда ему "stuffed right back in his face"), а то мне нормально про проходной двор никто и не ответит.
    Олечка, ну нету здесь проходных дворов, не бывает, по крайней мере, я никогда не видела.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай

Олечка, ну нету здесь проходных дворов, не бывает, по крайней мере, я никогда не видела.
    Ну я ж повторяю, the literal meaning is not the point. Дело не в наличии проходных дворов и не в буквальном переводе. Может, в английском говорят "Здесь вам не общественная баня!", например.

Ну я ж повторяю, the literal meaning is not the point. Дело не в наличии проходных дворов и не в буквальном переводе. Может, в английском говорят "Здесь вам не общественная баня!", например.
    What do you think it is? A public bath-house?

Завсегдатай

Люба, ты издеваешься?

Люба, ты издеваешься?
    Нет. По-моему, ты меня запутала.

Завсегдатай

To someone who understood my question (if there are any): I still need help.

Завсегдатай

Я-то понимаю, о чём ты спрашиваешь, но мне что-то в голову ничего не приходит. То есть ситуации, когда кто-то говорил что-то такое язвительное по аналогичному поводу, наверняка мне встречались, но, наверное, говорили каждый раз что-нибудь другое. Я попробую по другому сформулировать твой вопрос для наших нейтив инглиш спикеров. Может, что-нибудь выйдет.

Guys, here is the deal: let's suppose you are sitting in your room or in your office, or some place you feel is your area of responsibity in some respect etc., and people keep coming in (or coming through that area) who you feel don't really belong there or should not come to your place quite so often. Eventually, you patience wears thin and you yell: "What d'y'all think this place is, a _______?" Fill in the blank, please.

Властелин

Quote Originally Posted by translationsnmru
    Я-то понимаю, о чём ты спрашиваешь, но мне что-то в голову ничего не приходит. То есть ситуации, когда кто-то говорил что-то такое язвительное по аналогичному поводу, наверняка мне встречались, но, наверное, говорили каждый раз что-нибудь другое. Я попробую по другому сформулировать твой вопрос для наших нейтив инглиш спикеров. Может, что-нибудь выйдет.

Guys, here is the deal: let's suppose you are sitting in your room or in your office, or some place you feel is your area of responsibity in some respect etc., and people keep coming in (or coming through that area) who you feel don't really belong there or should not come to your place quite so often. Eventually, you patience wears thin and you yell: "What d'y'all think this place is, a _______?" Fill in the blank, please.
    There's no set expression, it would depend on the precise situation and your own wit.

Off the top of my head... social club/ youth club/ drop-in centre/ would work in most neutral contexts.

As a little aside, be careful with "y'all". There are loads of words* used in only one part of the Anglophone world and using most of them in the wrong place runs no greater danger than causing a tiny bit of confusion , but for some reason that particular one seems to really annoy a lot of people outwith* the US.

*such as "outwith", for a self-referencing example.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    Off the top of my head... social club/ youth club/ drop-in centre/ would work in most neutral contexts.
    Thank you. "Drop-in centre", I like it.

translationsnmru, спасибо тоже.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by translationsnmru
    Eventually, your patience wears thin and you yell: "What d'y'all think this place is, a _______?" Fill in the blank, please.
    "What do you think this is? Grand Central Station?"

This is not a very common thing to say, but I've heard it more than once.

Grand Central Station - это крупнейшая местростанция на Манхэттене.