Thread: конкурентноспобные товары

Завсегдатай

конкурентноспобные товары

The Russian word "конкурентноспособный" means "capable of withstanding market competition." Thus, "конкурентоспособные товары" means "goods/products that are good enough to successfully compete with rival products".

Bilingual dictionaries insist that the English for "конкурентоспособный" should be "competitive." While it works alright for, say competitive prices or competitive bids, I don't think that competitive goods communicates the correct idea in English, and I can't seem to think of another short phrase that means the same exact thing as the Russian "конкурентоспособные товары."

Any suggestions?

rival product(s)
    English Edition

В обычных странах церковь отделена от государства, а в России - от Бога.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by mishau_
    rival product(s)
    Are you sure? For me, rival products means "competing products". This is not what "конкурентоспособный" means.

E.g. "Наша компания производит конкурентоспособную продукцию". This makes good sense in Russian and means "Our company produces products that are good enough to compete with other products of the same type available in the market".

But "Our company produces rival products" doesn't make much sense, if at all.

В таком смысле, то вот как будет:
    our company produces goods that are able to meet competition (are capable of meeting competition)

А в смысле присутствия на рынке конкурентноспособных товаров, то будет rival/competetive:

Equally important is the need for Britain to produce competitive products of high quality.

For our customers, whose own ability to produce competitive products depends on doing the best possible job of supporting their chosen platforms

Investment and labour costs allow footwear companies to produce competitive products
    English Edition

Завсегдатай
    Имел дело с текстами типа "английский язык для экономистов". Там вроде тоже говорилось, что rival products...
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

"competitive" is the correct translation for конкурентноспособный.

"competitive" is the correct translation for конкурентноспособный.
    ч. т. д.
    English Edition

Завсегдатай
    Ok, so if I say "The goal of our company is to manufacture competitive products", will it make sense and sound natural in English?

http://www.lmu.edu/pages/3800.asp

Its purpose is to introduce the skills required to manufacture competitive products.

http://www.elektronika.ru/default_eng.phtml

The clients in the primary sector will first of all be interested in the services of industrial leasing and covered financing, which help solve the problem of retrofitting and updating of the capital assets to manufacture competitive products, as well as help nurture starters

http://www.imapsnordic.org/39conf/rndwork.htm

The industry then takes over and applies this knowledge and the educated students to make competitive products.

The role of industry accordingly is to take those intellectual and human resources and apply them to design, develop and manufacture competitive products with which to make money.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/co/secdoc.x ... c=1&num=37

Many have the ability to manufacture competitive products at lower costs as a result of their vertical integration.
    English Edition

Завсегдатай
    Two of these 4 documents are written by non-native speakers, so I don't buy this. In the last link, "competitive products" seems to be used in a different sense.

The first link, however, seems to support your point of view. So I think I can use "competitive", after all.

Почему только первый? Как раз то, что эти термины используются повсеместно говоит об их надежности. Это ведь не художественный перевод, кто лучше скажет. Здесь надо точным термином донести основную мысль. Бизнес-инглиш он же везде почти одинаковый. Если бы на англоязычных ресурсах было одно, а везде - иное, то это бы меня насторожило. Это бы означало что-то неладное в международном бизнесе. И если люди используют именно эти терминиы во всем мире этим терминам, думаю, можно доверять.

Pathtrace Technology (Britain)
    http://www.edgecam.com/default.asp?goUr ... nn_ENG.asp

If you are trying to manufacture competitive products in today’s mould and die market, you’ve got your work cut out for you.

New York On-line
    http://businesstracker.stockpoint.com/n ... chFor=STEC

These suppliers have the ability to manufacture competitive products at lower costs as a result of their higher levels of integration.
    English Edition

Увлечённый спикер
    Ok, so if I say "The goal of our company is to manufacture competitive products", will it make sense and sound natural in English?
    This does sound natural in English, in my opinion.

The only thing that seems a little strange is the concept. In America, usually market competition is assumed or implied. Thus most companies wouldn't make manufacturing competitive products be the stated goal of their company.

I've spent 12 years of my career as a Senior Director of Marketing and Promotions for a major media corporation and have worked with many national clients. Some have stated that their products are competitive with other products in the market but I've never heard any state that this is their corporate goal.

My Russian isn't very good yet, so I can't comment or give my opinion on the responses that you have received that were written in Russian.

Завсегдатай
    Почему только первый? Как раз то, что эти термины используются повсеместно говоит об их надежности. Это ведь не художественный перевод, кто лучше скажет. Здесь надо точным термином донести основную мысль. Бизнес-инглиш он же везде почти одинаковый. Если бы на англоязычных ресурсах было одно, а везде - иное, то это бы меня насторожило. Это бы означало что-то неладное в международном бизнесе. И если люди используют именно эти терминиы во всем мире этим терминам, думаю, можно доверять.
    Дело в том, что в текстах, написанных на английском, скажем, нашими соотечетсвенниками, часто встречаются выражения, взятые "из словаря" и не используемые на самом деле носителями языка. Я с такой ситуацией сталкивался неоднократно, и поэтому в сомнительных случаях всегда предпочитаю консультироваться с людьми, для которых английский - родной. Есть свои излюбленные псевдо-английские выражения и у португальцев, и у скандинавов, не говоря уж о китайцах...

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by ancestry
    The only thing that seems a little strange is the concept. In America, usually market competition is assumed or implied. Thus most companies wouldn't make manufacturing competitive products be the stated goal of their company.
    I guess it would seem strange for an American, indeed . But try looking at it from a vewpoint of an owner of a small plant located in a small Russian town in the middle of nowhere, whose products is cr@ppy by modern, international standards. To start manufacturing something decent while using local human resources etc. may be a very challenging task. Of course, once (or if) this is achieved, it will be replaced by some other goal.

In America, usually market competition is assumed or implied.
    Not always. As a mission, production of competetive products might be all right. On the other hand, you may produce very expensive exlusive products that are not affordable for the average customer. I will hardly say that materials designed in the scope of a space program are too competitive. What about weapons? Are they competitive within America's market?
    English Edition

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by ancestry
    What if there's nothing to compete with? e.g. in case of Microsoft, is Windows competitive?

Увлечённый спикер
    If you noticed, I said 'usually'. I didn't say 'always'.

I noticed but merely ignored. why? Because you didn't say that the only thing that usually seems a little strange is the concept. You said that the only thing that seems a little strange is the concept. And I said that not always it seems so!

All right, let's draw the finaly line: competitive products really is the proper translation for конкурентноспособные товары.

Q.E.D.
    English Edition

Quote Originally Posted by translations.nm.ru
    I agree with Ancestry, in my (European) english it would sound sensible and natural too - as far as managerial salestalk can be called sensible and natural, of course.

But I would probably be inclined to say: "The goal of our company is to manufacture good products at competitive prices". Usually it is not the product itself that's competitive - it's all about the money.

As for the difference between "competitive products" and "rival products":

If you say: "The goal of our company is to manufacture rival products", everybody will expect you to name the other party (as f.ex. "Coca Cola has a large market share, but goal of our company is to manufacture rival products".) IMO it can't stand on it's own.
    "The goal of our company is to manufacture competitive products" is a general definition, meaning "we are hoping to stand up to competition on the market."

I will hardly say that materials designed in the scope of a space program are too competitive. What about weapons? Are they competitive within America's market?
    They are (or strive to be) on the international market. Both of them, unfortunately.

As I said - it's all about the money.

BY
    Ой, голова у меня кружится |-P ...... and my brain hurts too....