Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Wood and forest?

  1. #1
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    27

    Wood and forest?

    What is the difference between words wood and forest in English?
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  2. #2
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13
    Size, usually. A forest is large, a wood is small.

    Since 'large' and 'small' aren't absolute, however, there is plenty of room for overlap.

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    Size, usually. A forest is large, a wood is small.

    Since 'large' and 'small' aren't absolute, however, there is plenty of room for overlap.
    Remarkable. I always thought otherwise Wood is large and forest is small
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Remarkable. I always thought otherwise Wood is large and forest is small
    Me too.

  5. #5
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Сварга
    Posts
    1,391
    Rep Power
    12
    and me

  6. #6
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17
    wood: the hard, fibrous substance composing most of the stem and branches of a tree or shrub, and lying beneath the bark; the xylem.

    Can also mean lumber.

    woods: Often, woods. (used with a singular or plural verb) a large and thick collection of growing trees; a grove or forest: They picnicked in the woods.

    From dictionary.com

    Scott

  7. #7
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13
    Remarkable. I always thought otherwise Wood is large and forest is small
    Ever heard of an equitorial rainwood?

  8. #8
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    wood: the hard, fibrous substance composing most of the stem and branches of a tree or shrub, and lying beneath the bark; the xylem.

    Can also mean lumber.

    woods: Often, woods. (used with a singular or plural verb) a large and thick collection of growing trees; a grove or forest: They picnicked in the woods.

    From dictionary.com

    Scott
    If you are going to quote a dictionary site, at least get it right. The actual entry is:

    Wood

    7. Often, woods. (used with a singular or plural verb) a large and thick collection of growing trees; a grove or forest: They picnicked in the woods.
    The way you wrote it suggested that wood and woods were distinct entries, wheras in fact they fell under the same entry to show that they can be entirely synonymous.

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай chaika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Чапелхилловка, NC USA
    Posts
    1,987
    Rep Power
    16
    I have a little place along the edge of my land that I call the woods. It's about 30' wide and 200' long.

    In the US we don't use the word 'wood' to mean small forest, or whatever. It's 'woods' only.

    About North Carolina we always say it's a forest waiting to happen - whenever then mow down the brush at the side of the road it's not long before those pesky pinetrees are poking their way up.

  10. #10
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    Down South, "woods" and "forest" are the same. Moreover, "woods" is a more common word than "forest"
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай chaika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Чапелхилловка, NC USA
    Posts
    1,987
    Rep Power
    16
    hey chas.. How about all those National Forests? They ain't no woods. "woods" is smaller. The two words ain't always interchangeable.

    Joyce Kilmer Memorial Woods, http://main.nc.us/graham/hiking/joycekil.html

  12. #12
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    hey chas.. How about all those National Forests? They ain't no woods. "woods" is smaller. The two words ain't always interchangeable.

    Joyce Kilmer Memorial Woods, http://main.nc.us/graham/hiking/joycekil.html
    Nat'l forest is fine. I still stick with "woods" for any other ... well, woods!
    In my neighborhood, they say "woods" when they refer to any heavy tree and bush combination.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    In my mind "wood" is associated with coniferous or deciduous forests, while "forest" can be anything.

  14. #14
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    In my mind "wood" is associated with coniferous or deciduous forests, while "forest" can be anything.
    Hey... you've just described any forest there is. Woods=heavy brush +trees.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    In my mind "wood" is associated with coniferous or deciduous forests, while "forest" can be anything.
    Hey... you've just described any forest there is. Woods=heavy brush +trees.
    Well, I wouldn't call a tropical rainforest a "wood".

  16. #16
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Wood and forest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    What is the difference between words wood and forest in English?
    Hey... I say woods, you say forest.... Really, it don't make no difference. Just, down South, we say "woods" (not 'wood', keep in mind)
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  17. #17
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    In my mind "wood" is associated with coniferous or deciduous forests, while "forest" can be anything.
    Hey... you've just described any forest there is. Woods=heavy brush +trees.
    Well, I wouldn't call a tropical rainforest a "wood".
    A rain forest is a rain forest... I was talking about our 'woods"
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  18. #18
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    Hey, just call it what you want... but if you ran into a word "woods", just don't be surprised, it is a word for "forest"... with some difference. I don't think they have "woods" in Russia... Russians have forest, when there is not much growth between trees. .. Woods are different... there is a brush between trees...
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  19. #19
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    What are we arguing about? I call it woods, you call it forest... No problem.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  20. #20
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    I wonder if Brits use the term "woods" the same way americans do... Anybody???
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. In the dark forest
    By kalinka_vinnie in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: April 9th, 2006, 05:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary