Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where did you get this black eye?

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Well maybe if your not one of those "upity" Pommies from Pommyland you would probbly say it like Paulb said and then after that, do like Dogboy said and add "mate" or something even an "eh" or two would work.

For instance, In Australia: Whehdja get that black eye (from) mate? Dja pick on 'em Pommy Bastards at the pub again lahs noyght?
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Завсегдатай
    lol!!!!!! R u still confusing poor peterburgers with your aussie accent?
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Завсегдатай
    Sounds so cool!
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    Mite or Blowk ?
    не понял
    1st is au version, like "G’Day Mite! You flyin’ somewores to-die".
    The second sounds alike too.
    Russian is tough, let’s go shopping!

This is interesting. These neologisms like gonna wanna haveta etc, do such things happen in russian too?

I like Izhur(is your) - its like a russian word in itself!
    Я плохо говорю по-русски.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by ZelyeUrsuli
    Just because American speak like that doesn't mean it's correct. I doubt you'll find a teacher promoting any of these variants.

As for This иж your mother - I say it as из as it should be. But different people have off pronunciations. Older people and people in the South may have a bit of a sh sound in their s. But if someone said a full on иж it would sound odd no matter what.
    So the fact that I'm an English teacher and cited an academic source from Cambridge University Press makes no difference I suppose.

Завсегдатай
    Ive lived down the road from Cambridge for 2 years, its not the impressive. (you know how many universities are in that town anyway?) You could get a certificate from Cambridge used auto and tyre repair and everyone would be like "WOOO! CAMBRIDGE".

Now oxford, there's a real school.

And, maybe you just talk like a (ушло) who got a Cambridge education? either way doesn't make you correct. PEOPLE say it, just cuz you don't doesn't mean you got your monies worth for that piece of paper when you could have just got a library card for free.

Besides, I've met dozens of people from N Carolina and not one of them could speak proper, even, somewhat intelligible English, so you ain't foolin' anyone there boi!
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Ive lived down the road from Cambridge for 2 years, its not the impressive. (you know how many universities are in that town anyway?) You could get a certificate from Cambridge used auto and tyre repair and everyone would be like "WOOO! CAMBRIDGE".

And, maybe you just talk like a (ушло) who got a Cambridge education? either way doesn't make you correct. PEOPLE say it, just cuz you don't doesn't mean you got your monies worth for that piece of paper when you could have just got a library card for free.

Besides, I've met dozens of people from N Carolina and not one of them could speak proper, even, somewhat intelligible English, so you ain't foolin' anyone there boi!
    Чайку лучше не задирай, потому что обидные слова всё равно вытру.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай

Are you on crack? You were agreeing with paulb all along, and now you are flaming him for mentioning a Cambridge University book.

Are you confusing paulb and ZelyeUrsuli? Or was that just subtle irony, so subtle that my irony meter is not picking it up?

Завсегдатай
    Are you on crack
    No, Adarax.

First, I didn't see anything in Paulyboy's previous statement that had anything to do with izh.

Second, since when is the "A word" a bad word? Do a search for it on this forum and pages upon pages come back. Or, only I am not allowed to say it?

I forgot, different rules apply to different people on this forum.

Завсегдатай
    First, I didn't see anything in Paulyboy's previous statement that had anything to do with izh
    Okay, let's have a look

Quote Originally Posted by paulb
    Pass your plate = pashyur plate
    Where's your fork = wherezhur fork
    Why didn't you eat your soup = Why didnchu eachur soup
    Where did you hide your spoon = Where didzhu hidjur spoon

These are the standard patterns and deviations will sound non-fluent.
    When you combine the 'z' sound from 'is' and 'yu' from 'your' it comes out as 'zh'. Say it to yourself, "izhur mother home". It sounds fine.
    See now? :P So, you basically say something that supports paulb's statement, and then you lash out at him...

Second, since when is the "A word" a bad word? Do a search for it on this forum and pages upon pages come back. Or, only I am not allowed to say it?

I forgot, different rules apply to different people on this forum.
    Pages upon pages? Like it's in assure, pass or passport?
    Sorry if I've missed any personal insults. Only Carlin is exempt.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай
    See now? Razz So, you basically say something that supports paulb's statement, and then you lash out at him...
    Like I really have time to read everyyy post. Just because I havn't been to work in a month doesn't mean I have all this free time.

Btw I don't know if its defined as irony but I definitely wasn't being serious. It doesn't matter where his degree is from he still has more of an education than I do. I ain't got no quarrels with Mr. Paul B. Sometimes I just get bored.

Pages upon pages?
    Well 4 pages is sure more than 3 or 2 or 1.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLarry
    This is interesting. These neologisms like gonna wanna haveta etc, do such things happen in russian too?

I like Izhur(is your) - its like a russian word in itself!
    There are similar processes.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Почтенный гражданин
    When you say "where did you get this black eye from" it sounds as if you're holding the black eye out in front of you and interrogating the person who brought it.
    исправьте мои ошибки :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12