Thread: What the heck is this girl saying?

Завсегдатай

What the heck is this girl saying?

http://translations.nm.ru/files/curse.wav

It is from the same infamous series of TV shows that i am currently working on. The noice in this clip is the sound of some acciding with the electric wiring. The girl is talking over the phone, and we are at the receiving end, so to say.

It starts with "Well, I hope you are right, Bev", and after that I can make out only a few individual words before she says "never been the lucky number".

Maybe someone with a better ear than mine will make some sense out of that?

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    That was really hard to understand. It sounded like she may have said "Hope you've got the lucky number" then .........."maybe that'll break the chain" but I am not sure if it was "chain".
    I will have to listen again with a different sound system to see if I can get it clearer.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    That was really hard to understand. It sounded like she may have said "Hope you've got the lucky number" then .........."maybe that'll break the chain" but I am not sure if it was "chain".
    I will have to listen again with a different sound system to see if I can get it clearer.
    Thanks! Actually, "maybe that'll break the chain" makes sense in the contexts. This girl is talking to the newest owner of a house which is considered cursed. All the previous owners suffered terrible misfortunes.

Почтенный гражданин
    Almost impossible to discern without some fancy software and equipment [or a rip of the original:-] but, how about...
    "Well, hope you're right (Bev?)...(unintelligible speech) ............... even if there is some sort of curse, seven is a lucky number (nervous laugh) maybe that'll break the curse."

Властелин
    I'm only missing one word, maybe two:

Well, hope you're right (Bev?) You know you just shouldn't go there 'cos [it's contaminated*] so... even if there is some sort of curse, seven is a lucky number (nervous laugh). Maybe that'll break the chain."

* This is the phrase I am struggling with. That's what it sounds like to me, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    Well, hope you're right (Bev?) You know you just shouldn't go there 'cos [it's contaminated*] so... even if there is some sort of curse, seven is a lucky number (nervous laugh). Maybe that'll break the chain."
    Good job scotcher you're getting closer although not right yet: the rhythm maybe doesn't quite work. The last word is 'chain' not 'curse' as I incorrectly typed in my post above: I wrote 'chain' in my notes but typed the wrong word

Actually the more I play it the more I think you maybe right scotcher - maybe once you get an idea your brain forces that solution Could be, "Well, hope you're right (Bev?) You know you're just going to ................ so, even if there is some sort of curse, seven is a lucky number (nervous laugh). Maybe that'll break the chain."

Завсегдатай
    Yay! Thanks a lot, guys . Yes, this was the seventh owner of that cursed house, so all this makes sense.