Thread: what does it mean?

Увлечённый спикер

what does it mean?

I mean, by that, that even with tablets of stone, loads of advice, the occasional stroke of a clue bat and even direct, firsthand, experience, that still some of us manage to fall in love with a picture or select somebody who is writing to a load of other guys, such that mistakes in identification and memory get made.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    I didn't get about "tablets of stone" and "stroke of a clue bat" in this context. Is this kind of idioms?
    "Сталевары, ваша сила - в плавках!"

BJ
    Почётный участник
    If someone has no idea about something (e.g.in this case not realise that you are not the only one writing to a person) they get bashed with a cluebat until they do realise. It might take a long time for the penny to drop. I think the cluebat thing is an American expression because I have never heard it used in England.
    The tablets of stone is a common idiom. The idea is that if something is written on a stone tablet it is fixed and final and definite.
    So the whole of what you've written is using different idioms to say- despite everything trying to tell you the truth, some people make mistakes of the heart. I think!

"ClueBat" is new to me too, and I have lived in the US for 17 years. Tablets of Stone is fairly common, however, its original reference being biblical, I assume. Also "written in stone" is common, most frequently in the negative form -- "its not written in stone" (meaning something, e.g., plans are currently fixed, but could change).
    Yes, I live in Texas. No, I don't support Bush.

Подающий надежды оратор
    same for me with cluebat. and im born american. mabe it came from australia...
    небо уронит
    ночь на ладони
    нас не догонят
    нас не догонят
    небо уронит
    ночь на ладони
    нас не догонят
    нас не догонят

"нас не догонят" т.а.т.у

By the way, I should add that its a pretty crappy piece of prose, IMHO.
    Yes, I live in Texas. No, I don't support Bush.

Почтенный гражданин
    Go ahead and google "clue bat" or "cluebat." It appears to be common internet slang, although, admittedly, I had not previously encountered it.

Подающий надежды оратор

what does it mean?

"Tablets of stone" = Ten Commandments = reference to authoritative information
    студент: "Я часто вижу себя во сне как профессором. Что мне нужно сделать?"
    профессор: "По-меньше спать!"

Увлечённый спикер
    I'm thinking "clue bat" is meant in the same way as another somewhat crude american phrase....Have you ever heard someone say "That guy must have gotten smacked with an ugly stick", meaning that person was unattractive?

By this its like saying "That guy must have been affected by a 'stick of ugly'" (sounds a bit ridiculous if you've never seen this phrase, but it does exist)

So in this text it would mean that people have been hit by a stroke of the clue-bat. In this case it would mean "recieving clues" or "collecting partial information"

Therefore:

I mean, by that, that even with tablets of stone,

^ Even with knowledge that seems to be undoubtable,

loads of advice, the occasional stroke of a clue bat,

^ as well as advice given to us and the occasional hints we recieve,

that still some of us manage to fall in love with a picture

so basically it means what BJ said about mistakes of the heart, the only difference is I wrote too much

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Властелин
    Keep in mind that a tablet is a pad of paper to write on. A stone tablet is just a piece of stone to write on. (Think Tablet PC http://www.wince.ne.jp/review/katsuo/uk ... tablet.jpg)
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.