Thread: What is the cozyness in England and in Russia?

Увлечённый спикер

What is the cozyness in England and in Russia?

I have some questions about the differenses between the cozyness in England and in Russia.

At first, what is the coziness? To my mind it is the sence, which people should feel at home, when they can relax an can rely on their family.

And as we now the British usually like to say "My house is my castle." Can people in Russia say in that way?

As I think, people in Britain like to live in detached houses; that is the house, which is separate. And a large, detached house not only ensures of privacy, it is also a stastus symbol. Even a small detached house, surrounded by a garden, gives the suggestion of rural life, which is dear to the hearts of many British people.

And why most of the British avoid living in blocks of flats?

And what do you think about the people in Russia? Most of them like to live in "high-rise" block of flats.

If you can, give me an explanation of it!
    Я интересуюсь будущим, потому что собираюсь просести там всю свою жизнь!

Почтенный гражданин

Re: What is the cozyness in England and in Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuta
    And as we now the British usually like to say "My house is my castle." Can people in Russia say in that way?
    I imagine that they can't. No bad thing: British insularity is not a malady any other nation should hope to come down with. If I weren't afraid of trotting out tired old cliches, I'd say something about the dangers of an island mentality, the joysof being attached to a continent and, finally, the staggering state of Der Old Empire Kingdom. But I am, so I won't.

As I think, people in Britain like to live in detached houses;
    See above. It's about building a fort.

And why most of the British avoid living in blocks of flats?
    Because such blocks are forever associated with the blight of the post-war urban poverty they were built to combat; you will find only the destitute and the marginalised in blocks of flats. Except in dockland areas on the Thames/Mersey/Tyne, where you will find dot.com millionaires and chartered accountants called Rick, who dine in style every Sunday night at the faux-MedFusion restaurant opposite the elevator and then stumble home to their Norah Jones LP and home-cinema system. And their appalling girlfriend, who is, invariably, an Emma.

I love Russia.
    А если отнять еще одну?

BJ
    Почётный участник

cosiness

Just to add to what joysof has said - people in Britian are becoming more and more insular. They don't care about their neighbours in the way they used to. When people lived in smaller houses they were physically closer to their neighbours and looked out for them. Where I live now - a street of mainly detached houses I do not know what the people even look like two doors away. I never see them. People get in their cars and drive everywhere now.
    Cosiness is an odd word and not one I think I would use. I can be cosy in my home but I would only use that expression when the weather was bad outside, if I was sitting in front of the fire with a book and a drink.
    joysof is right about the dislike of blocks of flats and the reasons for that dislike. Only the rich and upwardly mobile choose can live in the new flats that are springing up in many large British cities. They want to be near the nightlife and work so the idea of British people wanting a rural retreat is not absolutely accurate.

Увлечённый спикер
    Thank you very much!

And is it true, that British like to live surrounding with the old things, old furniture? Is it better for them to renovate the furniture, then to buy a new one? They like to have old things, which seem to be more cozy for them?

You can think, that it is strange, that I'm interested in these topics, but I'll have an English exam and some topics for discussion. So I'd like to know as much as I can!

And thank you, that you can tell me and explain me something!

BJ
    Почётный участник

cosy

Hi Nuta, Well I don't like old furniture! My house is full of very modern stuff but my friends are the opposite and their house is full of antiques from the C19. They would not buy new furniture. So I think it is a question of taste probably as it is with your country. The most popular activity for British people seems to be shopping at IKEA which is a large Swedish owned outlet that sells cheap modern furniture. As for renovating old things - well some people that buy older houses enjoy this. They would do it because they want the original authentic items. I have a dentist friend who lives in an art deco house and he has gone to reclamation merchants to get authentic radiators. He has wall papered the walls with designs typical of that era and has even changed the door handles. His house looks fabulous. It is his hobby!
    As for me, if its old, or broken or in need of work and I don't want it particularly, I'd give it away or throw it away. Anyone want a husband?

Увлечённый спикер
    Thank you for your answer!
    And I can say, that people in Russia like to by the ruiniture from the IKEA. We have these shops too. But you say that it sells cheap modern furniture, but it isn't very cheap here. But Russians like it!
    As I think, it is better to change the furniture sometimes. Because, when you always have the same decor, it may bother you. But not everybody can afford to change the furniture too often and for this reason people in Russia often renovate it or buy new but not very expensive.

As for me, if its old, or broken or in need of work and I don't want it particularly, I'd give it away or throw it away.[quote]

It's the right way, I think!

By the way, why do you ask about if anyone want a hasband?

Старший оракул
    Nuta, I like the word 'ruiniture' very much.
    I travelled several thousand miles to get away from IKEA .. imagine my horror when I got here

Tell me that British TV is still full of appalling drivel about buying and selling furniture and 'doing up your house', please. It will motivate me to stay..

Nuta, BJ's last sentence is (assuming that she's a woman) a joke. Read it again, probably you will understand
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    I travelled several thousand miles to get away from IKEA .. imagine my horror when I got here
    Enough already with the IKEA-bashing, свиристель. Take the place out of its SuburbanBritishSundayPerdition context and it's actually a splendid place to shop: the stuff's cheap, they deliver, and if you're setting up a temporary home, you can't do much better. Indeed, when we lived in Prague, IKEA saved us several times from eating our food from the floor. Ingvar gets my vote. Oh yes. And I'm sure he'll be delighted.

And surely there isn't one in Stavropol?
    А если отнять еще одну?

BJ
    Почётный участник

Home from home

Yes I am a woman. Yes it was a joke about my husband! (sort of) Yes British TV is full of programs about doing up your house and renovating furniture. It is the British hobby of the moment but its generally not old furniture that is being renovated - more tatty new stuff that needs a coat of paint or stripping. There are far too many programs about houses, buying, selling, moving, cleaning, renovating, building. I have read that we are soon to have another furniture retailer to rival Ikea - one from Denmark. That will mean more queues every weekend on our roads.
    Ikea is cheap by British standards. The things they sell are within reach of the majority of British families. The quality is mixed but because most things are available there and then it is very popular.

Почтенный гражданин
    I read somewhere that the top IKEA guy is richer than Bill Gates. Has someone read this as well?
    Army Anti-Strapjes
    Nay, mats jar tripes
    Jasper is my Tartan
    I am a trans-Jert spy
    Jerpty Samaritans
    Pijams are tyrants
    Jana Sperm Tit Arsy

BJ
    Почётный участник

rich men

yep, Ingvar Kamprad - who sounds like his furniture - has been estimated to have wealth of $53 billion. Bill Gates ONLY $47 billion.

Почтенный гражданин
    Haha what a loser! Only $47 billion. I almost feel I should give some of my money to the poor beggar.
    Эдмунд Ричардович Вудфилд

Увлечённый спикер
    To my mind IKEA isn'n worth to be so popular shop as it is!

BJ
    Почётный участник
    Hi Nuta - hope you don't mind me correcting your English. We would be more likely to say - In my opinion, Ikea doesn't deserve its popularity. I think you are probably right but it offers a lot of choice, cheap prices (in the UK at least) availability, easy access and parking (very important in our over-crowded isle) and it's modern. What I don't like about it - too crowded, some very strange designs, slightly odd sizes compared to UK normally (eg bed sheets) things that have no use whatsoever, mixed quality (so some items are good value others not at all). The man who owns it must be doing something right if he is now the richest guy in the world! But If I had the choice I'd rather buy something more individual. Sadly not being a billionaire, I have Ikea bookshelves, Ikea glasses, Ikea picture frames, Ikea chairs, Ikea wrapping paper etc etc

Увлечённый спикер
    BJ, thank you for your corrections!
    I agree with you that its offers a great chois of goods and some are cheap for Russians too. And I have some things from IKEA too - bookshelves and a counterpane! But it's funny when yo8 come at somebody's home and see the same things.
    It's like when you are going in the street and meet the person in the same T-shirt or trousers as you wear.
    And there are so many resemble people in the streets! I think, they like it! If they don't, they'll try not to be so similar. I'd like to buy different clothes not to resemble other people.
    Some call it fashion. But is it fashion when a half of the city has the similar clothes? It is like an "incubator"!
    How do you think?

Властелин
    Thats what happens when you fly Economy Class.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

BJ
    Почётный участник
    What a clever idea calling it an incubator!! You're right. I suppose it is fashion, even if almost everyone is wearing it. A bit like the little skirts with lots of panels which are very popular at the moment. I really want to be different but I'm a coward, although yesterday (with my husband's help) I dyed my blondish hair a rather eyecatching red!! He has not stopped laughing at me which is a bit worrying. Still, I need to be more daring with my clothes now. Instead of jeans and more jeans and tops I should do something outlandish. So my New Year's resolution - a few months late - is to be brave and different and not shop at Ikea.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    Tell me that British TV is still full of appalling drivel about buying and selling furniture and 'doing up your house', please. It will motivate me to stay..
    I've got satellite at home and I can tell you that House Invaders are on on BBC Prime several times a week, so I figure stuff like that should be on on British terristrial and on Sky too. waxwing, stay in Russia .
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask