Thread: Transcription

Почтенный гражданин

Transcription

I was just wondering, are native Eng. speakers taught how to transcribe words according to the IPA at school, or not?

Властелин
    No.

In fact, I'd be surprised if most native English speakers have even heard of the IPA, in spite of the fact that our dictionaries use it to illustrate pronunciation.

Почтенный гражданин
    but in a typical English-English dictionary, do they give the transcription of given words? I'm asking 'cause I only have an english-english Longman dict, but I believe it's adressed to forgeiners, so no wonders the transcription is there.

Властелин
    Yes, the IPA transcription is given in brackets, usually in a lighter font, right after the entry and before the definition.

Завсегдатай
    All or nearly all English dictionaries provide some kind of transcription, but American ones usually use their own home-made transcritptions. The phonetic transcription system used by Merriam Webster is different than that of Random House which, it its turn, is different than that of American Hertage and so on.

All British dictionaries, on the other hand, seem to use IPA-based transcription systems (with some slight variations).

Почтенный гражданин
    that's sort of weird. heh.
    but thanks for the answer. it's been bugging me badly for a while now.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    In fact, I'd be surprised if most native English speakers have even heard of the IPA, in spite of the fact that our dictionaries use it to illustrate pronunciation.
    Most native English speakers here in the states are morons who don't even know how to use a dictionary.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMage
    Most native English speakers here in the states are morons who don't even know how to use a dictionary.
    Why should a native speaker use a dictionary??? doesnt he/she know English good enough not to look up the transcription of a word???

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuvak
    Why should a native speaker use a dictionary??? doesnt he/she know English good enough not to look up the transcription of a word???
    Do you think that native English speakers should be born with the definitions of all 600,000+ words in the English language already embedded in their brains, along with the ability to instinctively pronounce them correctly?

Почтенный гражданин
    Do you think that native English speakers should be born with the definitions of all 600,000+ words in the English language already embedded in their brains, along with the ability to instinctively pronounce them correctly?
    exactly.

I mean, there are plenty of words in my native language that I don't know the meaning of, and that's what I'd use a dictionary for. In the case of my language the pronunciation is not the matter, but with English, I believe it is, since it's pretty irregular.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuvak
    You know, I havent looked in any russian dictionary before and I can speak Russian very well. I know how to pronounce any collocual (and some specific, scientific) words, and noone has told me "Guy, Ya prononcuate the word "блаблабла" incorrectly!!! You should check it up on your dictionary)" So I made a conclusion that an American knows how to speak his/her mother tongue.......

Почтенный гражданин
    I wouldn't compare Russian pronunciation with the English one. The former follows certain rules, the latter very often doesn't, I guess that's also the point of having the IPA transcription.
    For example, I have and English dictionary, and it's obvious the transcription has to be there. I also have a Russian one, and it doesn't give any pronunciation. why? 'cause it's not necessary. Also, even the fact that there actually are English Pronunciation Dictionaries, where you don't even have the definitions, just the transcription - proves my point.

Почтенный гражданин
    The rest can't speak English anyway .

Sorry, I like jousting with Americans over our language.
    Ленин пил
    Ленин пьёт
    Ленин будет пить

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-Monkey
    I already said most Americans are stupid. Some of us, on the other hand, have an acceptable grasp of both American and Commonwealth English. Just my 2p.

Властелин

And who usually wins? The British or Americans?
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous

And who usually wins? The British or Americans?
    They are both losers. Brits gripe about Americans destroying their language (when it is their fault they gave it to them in the first place) and the Yankees usually invoke "well we kicked your ass in the war" and "we saved your ass in WWII"! Just like two small children...

BTW, I am sorry to say I do use the English dictionary sometimes. Usuall ywhen I have to look up words like isoagglutination. I read alot, when I come across an unfamiliar word I could guess the meaning, but I prefer to know ecxactly what it means (I usually disregard the transcription though...)
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Властелин
    When it comes to picking up chicks the Brits win.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Quote Originally Posted by adoc
    When it comes to picking up chicks the Brits win.
    ... in America. Anyone with a cute accent has a better chance on picking up chicks than Americans
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    ... in America. Anyone with a cute accent has a better chance on picking up chicks than Americans
    But Americans with cute accents are best of all.

Почтенный гражданин
    I'll take Russians over Yanks myself .

ReDSanchous: it's not the kind of argument that goes away, it's just a sort of endless heckling battle.
    Ленин пил
    Ленин пьёт
    Ленин будет пить