Thread: Phonetic Punctuation

Phonetic Punctuation

I really wasn't certain where to put this one as all the punctuation and/or silly things seem to fall under "Russian" and not "English" yet this is English or actually any language, in a fashion.

I have always been fond of Victor Borge and especially his "Phonetic Punctuation" routine in which he recites a story, with full punctuation (comma, period, exclamation mark, etc.) as exaggerated onomatopoetic sounds.

The other one I like is his "Inflationary Language", where he incremented numbers embedded in words, whether they are visible or not ("once upon a time" becomes "twice upon a time", "wonderful" becomes "twoderful", "forehead" becomes "fivehead", "tennis" becomes "elevennis", "I ate a tenderloin with my fork" becomes "I nined an elevenderloin with my five'k" etc). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Borge

I have here the for your viewing pleasure, Phonetic Punctuation (I have an entire DVD which also includes the Inflationary Language if anyone wants to see that one).

If you have never seen Phonetic Punctiation before, it is a real treat. If you have, it is always fun to watch again.

To watch it, just click on the link. I hope that you enjoy.

http://s444.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=0594978e.flv
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Старший оракул

Re: Phonetic Punctuation

I saw the "Phonetic Punctuation" routine being perfomed by some Russian comedian. I don't remember who it was but the sounds and gestures were pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by E-learner
    I saw the "Phonetic Punctuation" routine being perfomed by some Russian comedian. I don't remember who it was
    His name is Aleksandr Filippenko http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0277080/. The Filippenko's "Phonetic Punctuation" was exact translation of the Borg's routine and was utterly popular in 80's. So popular as when seeing the Borg's one I easily recall the exact words of the Filippenko's performance. I wonder if this "Phonetic Punctuation" was translated to any other languages.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup
    Quote Originally Posted by E-learner
    I saw the "Phonetic Punctuation" routine being perfomed by some Russian comedian. I don't remember who it was
    His name is Aleksandr Filippenko http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0277080/. [s:98ysxfk1]The[/s:98ysxfk1] Filippenko's "Phonetic Punctuation" was an exact translation of [s:98ysxfk1]the[/s:98ysxfk1] Borge's (either say "of Borge's routine" or "of the routine", but not both "of and the") routine and was utterly popular in the 80's. So popular in fact [s:98ysxfk1]as[/s:98ysxfk1] when seeing [s:98ysxfk1]the[/s:98ysxfk1] Borge's one, I easily recalled the exact words of the Filippenko's performance. I wonder if this "Phonetic Punctuation" was translated to any other languages?
    How cool!, I never would have thought about it being used by other performers OR translated into other languages!!!

Okay, your assignment, should you choose to accept it... find copies of these other performances in different languages and post them!!!

I would lOVE to see them!
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.