Thread: nevertheless

Увлечённый спикер

nevertheless

The burgeoning relationship with India is nevertheless fortuitous, given the overwhelming reliance of the Israeli defense industry on export. Israeli companies are selling into all sectors of the India armed forces.
    I'd translate 'nevetheless fortuitous' as 'вполне закономерно', but it doesn't correspond to the meaning of 'nevertheless' given in all my dictionaries - 'все-таки, тем не менее, однако' etc. Does it have any additional meanings and how would you translate it in relation to the passage given?
    I would be grateful if you would correct my mistakes, since I would like my English to sound as natural as possible.

Завсегдатай
    I think "всё же" will fit.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Увлечённый спикер
    Look, the idea of the passage is, that this burgeoning relationship with India isn't fortuitous, or accidental. Quite the contrary, it stresses the fact, that orientation of the Israeli defense industry towards export led to it. 'Всё же' standing for 'nevertheless' makes no sense here.
    Or have I got the wrong picture?
    I would be grateful if you would correct my mistakes, since I would like my English to sound as natural as possible.

Завсегдатай
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    I think you're wrong.
    What it's emphasizing is that the relationship IS fortuitous. I don't know what the predeceding sentence said, but whatever it was, it is being mitigated by the fact that despite whatever issue/problem there was with arms exports, there is alot of money changing hands (which is most definitely something I would call fortuitous). The point is that the Israeli defense industry NEEDS that money.

Here's an example; I hope I'm not "talking down" to you here.
    "My taxes increased 5% last year. This is nevertheless fortuitous, since the road in front of my house was in total disrepair and now the city can fix it."
    So, I'm dissappointed that my taxes increased, but I gain a definite advantage by paying a higher rate.

To answer your question, to my little brain that knows limited Russian, I'd say все-таки or тем не менее would suffice.
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

Увлечённый спикер
    er...
    And what does 'fortuitous' mean then? The dictionary gives 'случайный, неожиданный' (accidental, unexpected). But it doesn't correspond to your example...

Israel needs to get money by exporting arms.

For some unknown reason the relationship between Israel and India has started to improve.

This is quite a fortuitous development случайная, неожиданная ситуация, because now Israel has a new customer. (or a better customer than before).

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger
    er...
    And what does 'fortuitous' mean then? The dictionary gives 'случайный, неожиданный' (accidental, unexpected). But it doesn't correspond to your example...
    It also means " Happening by a fortunate accident or chance." (from http://www.bartleby.com/61/29/F0272900.html )
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Увлечённый спикер
    Thanks to all! Now I get it

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger
    er...
    IMHO
    fortuitous = not as bad as expected, unexpectedly good

Despite the growing competition (a bad thing), the company was still fortuitous (did unexpectedly well) because demand continued to grow.

The burgeoning relationship with India (a bad thing) is nevertheless fortuitous (not as bad as expected), given the overwhelming reliance of the Israeli defense industry on export. Israeli companies are selling into all sectors of the India armed forces.
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

Увлечённый спикер
    Thank you, kwatts59! I guess I've got the picture.