Thread: Need some help again...

Завсегдатай

Need some help again...

...this time with understanding some places in a taped interview. I guess my listening comprehension is far from being perfect, or perhaps that is the recording's fault, but anyway...

I uploaded some audio files to my site which you can find below together with the text.

-----------

Edit: I removed the links since I got all the help I wanted, thanks guys

Властелин
    I decided to have a try, hope some native speakers will confirm or not:
    1)why, we do exhibition projects...
    2)never be a way of...
    Also, I hear "prominent" instead of "permanent", like written here, I wonder if someone else hears it like that.
    3)---
    4)you wouldn't want ...
    5) ---
    6) ---
    7)when you begin...
    Also, it seems to me that where it's written "this art" actually it's something else.
    ---
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Почтенный гражданин

Re: Need some help again...

Quote Originally Posted by translations.nm.ru
    Need some help again...
    Sorry translations.nm.ru although I could see your directory /files I could not play or download any of Sound1 to 8 mp3s: they are dhtml files?!?

Властелин

[quote=майк]
    Quote Originally Posted by "translations.nm.ru":1k1nx14o
    Need some help again...
    Sorry translations.nm.ru although I could see your directory /files I could not play or download any of Sound1 to 8 mp3s: they are dhtml files?!?[/quote:1k1nx14o]
    That's how I did it:
    Open the link in the new window, there'll be a page with light blue background on which you'll find the same link. When you press this link the file begins to download (in XP to Temporary internet files folder) and is opened by the default music playing program (winamp in my case).

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Friendy
    That's how I did it:
    "This is how I did it:" when something follows, or "That's how I did it:" after something. I downloaded free Winamp and that enabled me to play 1 to 7 of the mp3s - for some inexplicable reason: I already have mp3 players! So, thanks Friendy

@translations.nm.ru
    So here we go

"Well (maybe "Why"), we do exhibition projects with artists...."

“...just make this a permanent installation, and that would be a way of developing...”

“I mean in that… in… there was some incredible—err—material...”

“I mean, I think you wouldn't want to take a good look at that...” - I'm certain about all this, except I'm a bit concerned about "wouldn't". It sounds exactly like "wouldn't" but the sentence seems not to be in the negative?!?

"I mean, clearly the, big focus for us always has been the United States”

"use an obvious example, also the (.....indecipherable......) involves the (Hermitage)”

"When you begin to add all of those up it just becomes very powerful”

==========
    Cannot do Sound8.mp3, even though I tried fiddling about with some HTML source code, because your last link is to Sound7.mp3?

Завсегдатай

Thanks for the effort, Friendy! Actually, the your version of the first example makes total sense.

The fourth one, I hear it the same way as you do, but it just doesn't make sense in the context.

on 7th, I also believe you are right on.

Quote Originally Posted by майк
    Sorry translations.nm.ru although I could see your directory /files I could not play or download any of Sound1 to 8 mp3s: they are dhtml files?!?
    No, they are regular mp3. Depending on your browser, you can use one of the following methods of downloading the files:
    1) Just click on the link. It seems that direct downloading from external links is not allowed by my web host, so you'll get to my web host's download page where you will find the link to the actual file. Just click it, and the file should be downloaded. Sometimes, especially if you use Opera, you won't be able to download the files this way. Then use method 2.
    2) Go to http://translations.nm.ru/files/ , just as you already did, and instead of left-clicking the files, right-click on them and select 'download the target' or a similar option from the context menu. The exact wprding is different in different browsers.

One of these 2 methods should work

Завсегдатай
    Mike, thanks a lot!
    You are right about #8, the link was wrong, now I fixed it.

So what do we have left now?
    #4 that doesn't make sense, but I have this is my problem now to see how it fits in the context. At least, we have a kind of a consensus of what the guy actually says.

#6: I hear "wander" in it. A friend of mine has suggested that it is something like 'wander in walls of the Hermitage', but I think I can hear 'involves' quite clearly.

#8: anyone?

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by translations.nm.ru
    No.8> "Now I think that’s what will also become it's strength"

Another listen to No.6> "use an obvious example, also again one that involves the Hermitage”

'Hermitage' is said with a French accent - this may be because of a French connection; or an American English thing; or because it's actually a different word Except for 'Hermitage' the only other word I'm not 100% sure about is 'again'.

Завсегдатай
    [quote=майк]
    Quote Originally Posted by "translations.nm.ru":36ywv03j
    "Now I think that’s what will also become it's strength"[/quote:36ywv03j]

Thanks again

Властелин

Quote Originally Posted by Friendy
    That's how I did it:
    "This is how I did it:" when something follows, or "That's how I did it:" after something.
    That's interesting. Thanks, Mike.

Завсегдатай
    Another listen to No.6> "use an obvious example, also again one that involves the Hermitage”
    Yay!!!! This makes absolute sense.

'Hermitage' is said with a French accent - this may be because of a French connection; or an American English thing; or because it's actually a different word Except for 'Hermitage' the only other word I'm not 100% sure about is 'again'.
    Hehe. He pronounces it with a Russian accent. Or he attempts to, at any rate. He happens to communicate a lot with Russians, especially with Hermitage management, I guess this explains his pronunciation. And this is "Hermitage" alright. Actually, I believe that the interview takes place inside the Hermitage (I mean the Hermitage in St. Peterburg).