Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LMAO, OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuvak
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    And the all important, STFU: Shut the f*ck up!
    How about "STFO" Shut the fuсk off ???
    I like it Chuvak!

But I've never heard this from native speakers.

STFU is a forceful variant of the phrasal verb "Shut up", very common.

But English speakers don't use the phrasal verb "Shut off" except for inanimate objects. "Shut off the oven", "Shut off the TV". We never say that to people... we use "shut up" for people, "shut off" for objects.

Now... we DO say FO... "fuсk off"... that's a common phrasal verb, and can be an insult, or can be joking with friends.

MasterAdmin... sorry to use vulgar slang... but this is common 'street' English.
    Now... we DO say FO... "fuсk off"... that's a common phrasal verb, and can be an insult, or can be joking with friends.
    -that's what I am saying to some people in these forums
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuvak
    And the all important, STFU: Shut the f*ck up!
    How about "STFO" Shut the fuсk off ???
    I like it Chuvak!

But I've never heard this from native speakers.

STFU is a forceful variant of the phrasal verb "Shut up", very common.

But English speakers don't use the phrasal verb "Shut off" except for inanimate objects. "Shut off the oven", "Shut off the TV". We never say that to people... we use "shut up" for people, "shut off" for objects.

MasterAdmin... sorry to use vulgar slang... but this is common 'street' English.
    Go Charlestonian, Go!!!

We'll teach them good English!

Shonuff.. I'll "learn them good"
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Увлечённый спикер
    Just love this internet vernacular ! But some of it is just strange. I am wondering about ;
    BFL - big fat lady
    and ...
    NIFOC (nude in front of computer )
    Now just when are we going to be using these?!

Да, мы все надеемся, что Оля исправит наш русский язык
    Здравствуй, я так давно не был рядом с тобой
    Но то, что держит вместе детей декабря
    Заставляет меня прощаться с тем, что я знаю
    И мне никогда не уйти, до тех пор, пока...

Завсегдатай
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Quote Originally Posted by Katyusha Grib
    Just love this internet vernacular ! But some of it is just strange. I am wondering about ;
    BFL - big fat lady
    and ...
    NIFOC (nude in front of computer )
    Now just when are we going to be using these?!
    Uhm, I've never seen those before. Methinks you've been visiting sites with, shall we say, adult content?
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

Завсегдатай
    You know, I really haven't encountered it in the form of "FO." Usually if it's not the actual full two words, it's "f*ck off," or "fck off," or "fack off," etc. The only time I remember it being FO is from a Johnny Carson joke -- i think it was on of the Carnac the Magnificent skits. He gets a question like "Where does the term "UFO" come from (UFO's of course are unidentified flying objects, usually used by people who believe in aliens and little green men from Mars, etc.)?" And he answers, "Well, in WWII, a pilot saw one of these flying saucers and yelled, "You, FO!"

It was funnier when he said it, I promise.

OH, and also PITA: it's not just a sandwich. It also means "pain in the arse."

Увлечённый спикер
    Uhm, I've never seen those before. Methinks you've been visiting sites with, shall we say, adult content?
    Now , HOAS, dude, (SHID), I promise you I have only been innocently surfing a site for teenage chatroom slang abbreviations.
    BEG
    and....
    IRMFI

You know, I really haven't encountered it in the form of "FO." Usually if it's not the actual full two words, it's "f*ck off," or "fck off," or "fack off," etc. The only time I remember it being FO is from a Johnny Carson joke -- i think it was on of the Carnac the Magnificent skits. He gets a question like "Where does the term "UFO" come from (UFO's of course are unidentified flying objects, usually used by people who believe in aliens and little green men from Mars, etc.)?" And he answers, "Well, in WWII, a pilot saw one of these flying saucers and yelled, "You, FO!"

It was funnier when he said it, I promise.

OH, and also PITA: it's not just a sandwich. It also means "pain in the arse."
    "pain in the arse." Are you British?

Завсегдатай
    [quote=Katyusha Grib]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Бармалей":3vkl8wkw
    Now , HOAS, dude, (SHID), I promise you I have only been innocently surfing a site for teenage chatroom slang abbreviations.
    BEG
    and....
    IRMFI[/quote:3vkl8wkw]
    OK, either this post has some truly obscure internet slang, or I'm much older than I thought I was...

Завсегдатай

"pain in the arse." Are you British?
    Not hardly.

Увлечённый спикер
    OK, either this post has some truly obscure internet slang, or I'm much older than I thought I was...
    Well, if you need to keep it real , and stay young at heart, you can always translate my garbage here;
    http://www.safersurfers.org/chat_room_i ... ronyms.htm
    There, no adult content , I assure you.

Завсегдатай
    По-моему, мало людей поймут такие неизвестные сокращения. Единственные люди, которым не надо будет спросить про значения этих сокращений - это игроки в компьютерные игры и молодежь, которая проходит целые дни перед компьютерного экрана в Чат-комнатах.

Хотя несколько сокращений все поймут, но здесь они уже были упомянуты (еg wtf, omg, lol, imho)

Кстати, в Англии слово "arse" считается грубым или это просто эвфемизм для слова "ass"?

Почтенный гражданин
    "Frag" is making a comeback. In the past it referred to killing a superior, in Vietnam. "We need to frag the Lieutenant." "Frag" referred to a "fragmentation grenade."

Now...

"Frag" = "fuсk"

"Frag you!"
    "Frag me!"

I'm hearing "frag" more and more in conversations, probably because of the new Battlestar Galactica series on TV. The people are saying "frag" instead of "fuсk."

Завсегдатай
    "Frag" is making a comeback. In the past it referred to killing a superior, in Vietnam. "We need to frag the Lieutenant." "Frag" referred to a "fragmentation grenade."

Now...

"Frag" = "@@@@"

"Frag you!"
    "Frag me!"

I'm hearing "frag" more and more in conversations, probably because of the new Battlestar Galactica series on TV. The people are saying "frag" instead of "@@@@."
    Also in videogaming, but not as f*ck (actually I've not heard it like that at all -- we must run in different circles ) but closer to the Nam version. Now it just means "kill," not fratricide/friendly fire.

Почтенный гражданин

Now...

"Frag" = "@@@@"

"Frag you!"
    "Frag me!"

I'm hearing "frag" more and more in conversations, probably because of the new Battlestar Galactica series on TV. The people are saying "frag" instead of "@@@@."
    Also in videogaming, but not as f*ck (actually I've not heard it like that at all -- we must run in different circles ) but closer to the Nam version. Now it just means "kill," not fratricide/friendly fire.
    Actually, I goofed... in the new Battlestar Galactica, from the SciFi channel... they say "frak", not "frag". Sorry guys.

But I am hearing this being used.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    По-моему, мало людей поймут такие неизвестные сокращения. Единственные люди, которым не надо будет спрашивать про значения этих сокращений - это игроки в компьютерные игры и молодежь, которая проводит целые дни перед компьютерным экраном в Чат-комнатах.

Хотя несколько сокращений все поймут, но здесь они уже были упомянуты (еg wtf, omg, lol, imho)

Кстати, в Англии слово "arse" считается грубым или это просто эвфемизм для слова "ass"?

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    I heard (from a Brit friend, although) it was an initial form of this; it turned into "ass" later.
    Cockney rhyme: Arse = bottle and glass (pronounced with deep "ahhh" sound)

Подающий надежды оратор
    Sorry just found this thread on KG's recommendation... BLTN

Nice variant on LMAO is ROTFLMAO... have also come across YMMV.

Enjoyed the "Are you British?" question in response to the mention of the word arse. Does this mean that every time someone uses the word ass, we can ask "Are you American?"? Or is it just possible that might get a little annoying?

Белка.
    — Аквариум

Quote Originally Posted by belka
    Sorry just found this thread on KG's recommendation... BLTN

Nice variant on LMAO is ROTFLMAO... have also come across YMMV.

Enjoyed the "Are you British?" question in response to the mention of the word arse. Does this mean that every time someone uses the word ass, we can ask "Are you American?"? Or is it just possible that might get a little annoying?

Белка.
    1) Ass. Англичане называют словом "ass" осла - в узком и широком смысле слова. Таким образом, по-английски "ассом" может быть как парнокопытное семейства лошадиных, так и обыкновенный дурень вроде Бивиса или Батт-Хеда. Американцы словом "ass" называют задницу. А вот английская попка называется "arse".
    See more at "English in different countries."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12