Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gob-smacked

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by майк
    I'm not sure I get your meaning TiaraNEug. Would you mind explaining a little bit more?
    Eh. Hard to explain what I mean through typing. I'm sure every language has phrases or slang that they come up with that are only used in certain areas or dialects. When a foreigner to the language is trying to learn, say English, they don't need to learn those words. Especially if they are words or phrases like "far out" which were popular at one time, but not so much anymore. That is what I meant. And everyone may know of such phrases in their own language, but since they are not extremely imporant to know they may not be able to list them when asked. I hope that *sort of* cleared up my earlier post.
    Я тебя люблю , большой монстр!

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by TiaraNEug
    Hard to explain what I mean through typing.
    Yes, it is easy to be misunderstood - thanks for explaining further.

I think there are two issues. Firstly, in learning a foreign language, is it necessary to learn words that are not used often? Secondly, what is the meaning of the word 'gob-smacked' and when might it be appropriate to use the word? On the first point, I agree with you TiaraNEug, it's hard enough to remember everyday words like 'pen' in Russian let alone obscure slang terms. And it's better to learn frequently used words like только and чтобы before этажерка or ярый!

In relation to 'gob-smacked', I don't think we need to punch any hims, or hers come to that! If you do, in England (I'll just speak from my knowledge of England), you'll be doing quite a bit of punching. You might like to have a look at this posting of July 21, 2004:

http://www.wordwizard.com/clubhouse/...1.asp?Num=6092

I'll quote just a short piece, 'What a great word and it’s been around since the 1980s, but, of course, it spent a long time in Britain before it infiltrated the President’s English spoken on this side of the pond. But it is definitely a hot word in the U.S. right now threatening to render ‘blown away,’ ‘flabbergasted,’ ‘dumbfounded’ and ‘thunderstruck’ obsolete!

Anyway. I'm personally going to steer clear of using 'that word' for a while - too dangerous

Почётный участник
    I don't know if I agree with the guy you quoted about it being used widely over here or about the idea that it would replace any of the other phrases. I had never even heard it, let alone know what it meant until I read this thread. Hmm.
    But I totally have asked the same questions you pointed out. Maybe it's up to the learner. Or maybe it depends on your definition of fluency even. If to a learner fluency is learning everything from daily language to words that are almost obsolete, then by all means-have at it. Maybe I should have pointed out that my opinions were completely personal...
    At any rate. you and I are on the same level now. BTW. Can't seem to find a translation for the Russian words you used. What did they mean?

Почтенный гражданин
    Lingvo gives:

только - only, merely;
    чтобы - in order to, so as to
    этажерка - bookshelf, bookcase, shelves ( для книг )
    ярый - violent, furious, raging, vehement, fierce

Actually I have , although, regrettably, I'm too lazy to read it. The first two are at the front the second two at the back

Властелин
    Yes, best not learn it because TiaraNEug hasn't heard it, so it must therefore be obsolete (even though it's widely used and likely to be heard right across the rest of the English speaking world, especially in London).

Завсегдатай
    I've never heard this before untill today. Must be a british thing. Sounds funny to me
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почётный участник
    Scotcher sounds offended. Relax. No one is attacking you, so why attack me? Thanks Dogboy...that's pretty much what I was getting at.

Where did you find that book, майк? Looks like it would be a good one.

Почтенный гражданин
    Right click over the image, select properties, look at address - you see amazon.com. So go to http://www.amazon.com and click the [Books] tab and search for '10,000'
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
    At this site you can even flick through the book - it's fantastic - I was ... flabbergasted

Edit: Trying to get the img working

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by майк
    flabbergasted

Who hasn't heard that one ?
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Look people, a living, breathing British English/American English difference!

Clearly, if "Gob-smacked" is used frequently in the UK (and if you pay any attention to the UK you will see that it is), it is a useful phase to know. There are undoubtedly words used in the US that would be unknown to most Brits, but that does not mean that a foreign learner would not be well-advised to know them. (It's actually hard to think of an example, as Brits are exposed to so much US TV and movies that they probably DO know a lot of the slang.)

Incidently, for those of you who are non-native speakers, don't fret if the differences between Brit and US ACCENTS are very hard for you to determine -- they are often difficult for Brits and Americans. Most American attempts at a British accent are horrible -- often unrecognizable (Gwenyth Paltrow is an exception). Most Brits, on the other hand, are fully convinced they can do a good American, but they can't. Basically they just speak with a ridiculously nasal accent that sounds like person from Devon with a heavy cold.

Okay, I'll shut up.
    Yes, I live in Texas. No, I don't support Bush.

Почтенный гражданин
    Buy it - it's great.
    Эдмунд Ричардович Вудфилд

Властелин
    Giggle.

BBC2, some documentary about the city of Sparta in ancient Greece. Being interviewed: Professor Anton Somethingorother, Head of Classics at Oxford University (don't remember his name or which college)

"...any provincial Greek must have been gobsmacked at the vastness of Xerxes' army as it marched past..."

Почтенный гражданин
    That's Oxford for you.

Find me a Cambridge man who uses 'gobsmacked' and I'll defer.

А если отнять еще одну?

Почётный участник
    So, ultimately, Tiara was right...!

Почтенный гражданин
    So, ultimately, Tiara was right...!
    So, ultimately, Tiara had a view! And long may that continue......

Почётный участник
    I have my moments. Few and far between-but I have them. Read further posts for an upcoming "view."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12