Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: for the forseeable future

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    612
    Rep Power
    11

    for the forseeable future

    how can this phrase be actually used?
    "I see no perspectives for the forseeable future"
    "I have lots of plans for the forseeable future"
    "I'll see you/won't see you for the forseeable future"?

    I just can't figure out how can it be used in a sentence.
    thanks

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: for the forseeable future

    Quote Originally Posted by kamka
    how can this phrase be actually used?
    "I see no perspectives for the forseeable future"
    "I have lots of plans for the forseeable future"
    "I'll see you/won't see you for the forseeable future"?

    I just can't figure out how can it be used in a sentence.
    thanks
    Я не вижу перспектив в обозримом будущем.
    У меня уйма планов на обозримое (ближайшее) будущее.
    Я (не) увижу тебя в обозримом будущем.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  3. #3
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Almaty (former Alma-Ata), Kazakhstan
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    10
    I just can't figure out how it can be used in a sentence.
    "If you say that something will happen for the foreseeable future, you think that it will continue to happen for a long time.
    Profit and dividend growth looks like being above average for the foreseeable future.

    If you say that something will happen in the foreseeable future you mean that you think it will happen fairly soon.
    So, might they finally have free elections in the foreseeable future"

    P.S. You've become a Russian, kamka, hm... interesting
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

  4. #4
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    612
    Rep Power
    11
    no, I know what the phrase means, I was just wondering how it can be used in the sentence 'cause for some reason whatever I've come up sounded somehow weird to me.

    and sorry for posting it in the wrong section but yeah, I'm a Slav, that's almost Russian, isn't it :P

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: for the forseeable future

    Quote Originally Posted by kamka
    how can this phrase be actually used?
    "I see no perspectives for the forseeable future"
    "I have lots of plans for the forseeable future"
    "I'll see you/won't see you for the forseeable future"?

    I just can't figure out how can it be used in a sentence.
    thanks
    First of all, it's forEseeable. It's just like the "fore" in before (since you are "foreseeing" it -- before it comes into existance).
    Typically when we use "foreseeable future" it's to express some sort of planning.
    Your first sentence doesn't work at all -- I don't really know what you're getting at with it?
    The second one technically works, but it doesn't sound natural -- a bit wooden to my ears. I would say something more like "I won't have any free time (or maybe "open appointments," "free days," etc. -- whatever is appropriate) for the foreseeable future."
    The third one also sounds weird to me. Again, I think it's technically right, but it doesn't sound natural. I would just say "I'll be around for the next week," or "I won't see you again in the foreseeable future."
    A couple more random examples:
    "The company's board of directors doesn't expect to make any further acquisitions in the foreseeable future."

    "For the foreseeable future, I don't anticipate on purchasing a new vehicle."
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  6. #6
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    612
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: for the forseeable future

    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    First of all, it's forEseeable. It's just like the "fore" in before (since you are "foreseeing" it -- before it comes into existance).
    Typically when we use "foreseeable future" it's to express some sort of planning.
    Your first sentence doesn't work at all -- I don't really know what you're getting at with it?
    The second one technically works, but it doesn't sound natural -- a bit wooden to my ears. I would say something more like "I won't have any free time (or maybe "open appointments," "free days," etc. -- whatever is appropriate) for the foreseeable future."
    The third one also sounds weird to me. Again, I think it's technically right, but it doesn't sound natural. I would just say "I'll be around for the next week," or "I won't see you again in the foreseeable future."
    A couple more random examples:
    "The company's board of directors doesn't expect to make any further acquisitions in the foreseeable future."

    "For the foreseeable future, I don't anticipate on purchasing a new vehicle."
    this construction is giving me a hard time, it's so confusing!
    in the 1st example I meant something like "I don't see any perspectives (chances for a change?) in the nearest future" - not sure if that one makes any sense as far as the grammar is concerned
    and thanks for the spelling correction, I'll surely remember it now

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: for the forseeable future

    Quote Originally Posted by kamka
    this construction is giving me a hard time, it's so confusing!
    in the 1st example I meant something like "I don't see any perspectives (chances for a change?) in the nearest future" - not sure if that one makes any sense as far as the grammar is concerned
    I understand now what you are getting at -- I don't know why you said perspective, though (this means "point of view" or "точка зрения" по русски (Polska I don't know )). I would say something like: "I don't see any prospect for change in the near future," "I don't see any chance of that happening in the foreseeable future," or "I don't see that happening any time soon." All of these sound natural and are grammatically correct (if it's a formal paper lose the contraction of course). The last one is a little more colloquial -- but probably a bit more common as well.

    One more example, incorporating "perspective" just for fun:

    "I don't believe Kim Jong Il is going to change his perspective in the foreseeable future -- he's just too stubborn (or bat sh*t crazy )."
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  8. #8
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Almaty (former Alma-Ata), Kazakhstan
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    10
    I don't know why you said perspective, though (this means "point of view" or "точка зрения" по русски (Polska I don't know Wink )).
    "Perspective" reminds "перспектива" (Russian for "prospect") - that's why The so-called "ложные друзья переводчика" ("false friends of a translator" or sth like that).
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    По-английски просто "false friends".

    Получается сама фраза - это false friend переводчика.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  10. #10
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    612
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim84
    I don't know why you said perspective, though (this means "point of view" or "точка зрения" по русски (Polska I don't know Wink )).
    "Perspective" reminds "перспектива" (Russian for "prospect") - that's why The so-called "ложные друзья переводчика" ("false friends of a translator" or sth like that).
    pretty much, only it was about Polish "perspektywa" in my case

    Thanks a lot, Barmarley, I think I pretty much sorted it out, thanks to you I owe you a beer. :P

  11. #11
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    198
    Rep Power
    9
    The first sentence should be more like "There are no prospects in the foreseeable future". Although it is sometimes possible to use perspective in a similar manner "Are there any perspective husbands in your foreseeable future?".

  12. #12
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne
    The first sentence should be more like "There are no prospects in the foreseeable future". Although it is sometimes possible to use perspective in a similar manner "Are there any perspective husbands in your foreseeable future?".
    Don't be ridiculous.

    Unless the poor girl has had an orthographic husband in the past, you are talking grade-A illiterate drivel. "Perspective" cannot be used in that sentence.

    Shirley what you mean is "Are there any prospective husbands in your foreseeable future?".

  13. #13
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne
    The first sentence should be more like "There are no prospects in the foreseeable future". Although it is sometimes possible to use perspective in a similar manner "Are there any perspective husbands in your foreseeable future?".
    Don't be ridiculous.

    Unless the poor girl has had an orthographic husband in the past, you are talking grade-A illiterate drivel. "Perspective" cannot be used in that sentence.

    Shirley what you mean is "Are there any prospective husbands in your foreseeable future?".

    Scotcher; at his best!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  14. #14
    Завсегдатай chaika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Чапелхилловка, NC USA
    Posts
    1,987
    Rep Power
    16
    No flatlandman, he!

  15. #15
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    198
    Rep Power
    9
    Damn! You are right. I feel like an idiot. Both words sound the same in my local accent, I forgot there was a differance in spelling.

Similar Threads

  1. Popular Science's Future Of...
    By rockzmom in forum Practice your English
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 27th, 2009, 06:50 PM
  2. in the near future
    By Crocodile in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 12th, 2009, 07:23 PM
  3. Three sentences in the future tense
    By Yury in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 24th, 2009, 05:10 AM
  4. Future in Russian
    By Mordan in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2005, 03:31 PM
  5. Hello my future pen pals!!!
    By Sveikata in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: October 13th, 2005, 12:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary