Thread: courtesy of

Властелин

courtesy of

What does courtesy of mean when placed under photos in magazines, etc. For example, Courtesy of ABC Foundation. Does it  mean the ABC Foundation provided this photo (as a gift) to the publisher?

снимок предоставлен кем л.
    с разрешения кого л.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by alexsms View Post
    What does courtesy of mean when placed under photos in magazines, etc. For example, Courtesy of ABC Foundation. Does it mean the ABC Foundation provided this photo (as a gift) to the publisher?
    My understanding of it... is it means that you are crediting the person for whatever it is they are providing to you. It also shows that he person who took the photo does not work for that magazine however they are allowing it to be used in the publication. It can be paid or unpaid.

Courtesy of is also used when crediting music, video, thanking someone (say for the use of a space for a meeting or food served at the meeting).

In News stories, both print and video, there is often a "pool" of reporters & photographers. This means that one photographer and one reporter are selected from ALL the organizations (ABC, CNN, RT and so on) and then whatever these selected people get during the course of the event, will be shared with all of the organizations. So you might see the courtesy of there as well.

Another example: If TV station A was the only channel allowed to broadcast the Soccer games and TV station B wants to show some of that footage, they would either say, have an caption on the video, or at the end of the news program there would be a credit saying something like: "Soccer footage courtesy of TV Station A"
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

...с любезного разрешения...
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?