Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pravit ist nach Deutschland gereist

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

Re: Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    But i just can't understand it...
    Wo lebend Sie, Guest?
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    Hast du auch mit der wunderbaren deutschen Sprache angefangen DDT? Toll. Ich kann dir auch ein "pointer" geben. Es heisst "wo leben Sie", nicht "wo lebend Sie".

Ich habe gerade dieses Topic durchgelesen, und deshalb wundere ich wo der Pravit ist. Weiss jemand warum er derzeit nicht mehr schreibt?
    blame Canada

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Danke, Kamion. I will speak in English since my German is so bad. I studied German in high school but learned little and forgot much. I will soon begin to study again though. AS I read on this forum some words are beginning to come back to me. I have German CD's waiting for me already but no textbooks. My plan was to wait until my Russian gets a little better. ....Now that I think about it.......I think that I should have asked him,"Wo lebst du?"

I really must get a text book, I don't even know if I spelled it correct!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

wo wohnen Sie?, nicht war?

DDT
    You bringing back all kinds of memories into my head . I am not sure if it is too soon to start another language or not, yet. Perhaps if I just dabble in German now and then to start out with. Hmm?

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    wo wohnen Sie?, nicht war?
    Ja, das stimmt.

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamion
    Hast du auch mit der wunderbaren deutschen Sprache angefangen DDT? Toll. Ich kann dir auch ein "pointer" geben. Es heisst "wo leben Sie", nicht "wo lebend Sie".

Ich habe gerade dieses Topic durchgelesen, und deshalb wundere ich wo der Pravit ist. Weiss jemand warum er derzeit nicht mehr schreibt?
    Pravit hat sich vor l

mike
    Soon to be a permanent resident of the EU, I thought I would add my observations to Pravit's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    The drinks are small and expensive. There aren't any free refills here, so you shouldn't drink too quickly if you want to have something to drink with your food. If you don't want such a small drink, you have to say you want a large one, for example "a large Coke please"(a "large drink" in Germany is a normal sized drink in the US). It's often cheaper to have a beer instead of a soft drink.
    I've found it is cheaper (and preferable) to find a place which serves you soda in a bottle instead of a glass. Most of the cafes will do this (the more bourgeois restaurants will do it too, but apparently--as somebody scolded me for doing--it's really rude to drink out of a glass bottle in these types of places so you have to pour it into a wine glass like you're some sort of sophisticated Coca-Cola aficionado).

German doors work a little different from American ones. You have to pull the door, turn the key either left or right, then push the door. I had a lot of problems myself with doors at first, when I arrived dead tired at the hotel.
    What the hell is with the doors inside having frosted glass windows in them, btw? Walking around in somebody's house I feel like I'm in an old film noir and they just haven't gotten around to painting "PRIVATE DETECTIVE FOR HIRE" on the pane yet. I can definitely see myself stumbling around in the dark one night and that will be the end of it.

* It's already well-known but I'll repeat it: If you order a water in a restaurant, you get club soda(and you have to pay for it, of course).
    Yes! They love their Mineralwasser! I do not get it either! If you want a free tap water you can always order a coffee. They'll bring you a glass of water along with it.

* Everything is much more expensive than in the US.
    I think it would be more accurate to say, "Everything is much more expensive in the cities (Berlin, Bonn, Cologne) that I visited than in the smaller cities in the south/midwest that I am used to in the US." You would receive much the same shock at the prices if you visited Manhattan instead of Berlin. On the contrary, I find the prices of most things (except junk food and, yes, even now, benzin) to be lower than what I was accustomed to in New England. I can go to Eurospar and do a few days' worth of shopping for about 10 euros. The equivalent cost if I went to Stop and Shop or Shaw's Supermarket would be almost $30. Like I said, junk food is a lot pricier. Even my beloved "Coke Light" is almost 3 times as expensive, which really hurts my caffeine addiction. But all of the fresh items like Eierschwammerl and tomatoes etc. are muuuuuuch cheaper. And the chocolate is a little bit lower in price, but tastes a lot better (my favorite is kinder Schokolade with the adorable little Lebensborn child on the front of the box http://www.kinderschokolade.de/images/ks_t1_old.jpg ).

There are some things lacking in the consumables department. You forgot to mention that they have almost no knowledge of Mexican food Except for "nacho chips" (which are so heavily flavored with chili powder and salt that you can't really eat nachos with them anyway) you'll be hard pressed to find a lot of rather common southwestern food items in the US. I only found one place that sold pinto beans, and it was 30 minutes away. And forget about flour tortillas, taco seasoning, etc. They apparently don't exist. I also can't get Boca Burgers either. Those dirty sons of bitches. And they only sell American Spirits in the unmentholated variety. Who the fuck likes those?

The Berlin subway is fast, always on time, convenient, and simple. The best way to get around Berlin.
    True, the subways in Europe lack that wonderful "urine and recent murder" bouquet that we have filtering through the air vents back in the States.

Новичок
    yes, it is considered rude to drink off a bottle (don't ever dare do it if you're somebody's guest!). Also, they don't give you wine glasses if you order a Coke, but tall, thin ones (most times they're cylinder-like shaped).

I don't know if they're really that cheap in Germany, but you don't get much food to live off for 10€ in Italy.

mike
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightsun
    yes, it is considered rude to drink off a bottle (don't ever dare do it if you're somebody's guest!). Also, they don't give you wine glasses if you order a Coke, but tall, thin ones (most times they're cylinder-like shaped).

I don't know if they're really that cheap in Germany, but you don't get much food to live off for 10€ in Italy.
    You're right, they weren't regular goblets. They were more like..well I don't know. What do I know from wine glasses? I'm used to drinking shitty, $10 asti spumanti out of the bottle at 2am with no pants on. That's just how I rollz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12