Thread: To exaggerate

Завсегдатай

To exaggerate

преувелИчивать
    преувелИчить

преувелИчение - an exaggeration.

can't think of a good example, so be amused by this...

Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почётный участник
    Thanks for the stress indication. I will be sure to indicate stress patterns in the future with capitals also. Good idea! (you book stealing bastard!)
    I do not understand very well the best way of understanding ..

Почётный участник
    Just kidding about the book business, I have a strange sense of humor . I am not being serious.

Почтенный гражданин

Re: To exaggerate

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    преувелИчение - an exaggeration.
    преувеличЕние

переувеличEние - redundant/superfluous exaggoration/increase (never heard it but just made this word by changing preffix)

Завсегдатай
    it's ok carper, i have a "state of the art" sarcasm detector. It was only modified onto humans born between the days of Dec 22nd 1986 and dec 27 1986. -=+Sarcasm~Inside+=-, you bastard

@Alware, cool thank. I didn't know where the stress was really, i just copied and pasted the imperfective and added the ние ending (i didn't even know if it was right ) and figured if it was wrong someone would correct it. Thanks
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин
    @Dogboy

Look how preffixes пре- and пере- work. (My previous post)

Почтенный гражданин
    Actually preffixes пре- and пере- mean the same. Their usage depends on the word's structure

преувеличEние - exaggoration
    перенапряжEние - too much tention (?)
    (may be Propp or Friendy will kindly explain this better)

but sometimes I use пере - instead of пре- to increase the meaning.

Почётный участник
    I was reading the Russian version of Will to Power (Nietzche), and I thought it 'cool' that Russian say "Experience" like: Пережить.

In this case, it was all talking about: Потому, что все наши, бывшие до сих пор в ходу, ценности сами находят в нем свой последний вывод; потому что нигилизм есть до конца продуманная логика наших великих ценностей и идеалов, -- потому что нам нужно сначала пережить нигилизм, чтобы убедиться в том, какова в сущнсти была ценность этих <<ценностей>> ... Нам нужно когда-нибудь найти новые ценности....

Кстати, this translation is worded in many sentences much different from the English version of the German translation. Oh well, I guess they both MEAN the same thing. The point is, Russians see "living through" something as experiencing it, whereas us Americans don't necessarily equate "living through" with experiencing something. Generally, americans would require a lot less "living through" something to be able to add the пере- prefix.Different sort of perspective that I find favors the Russian mind.

Почтенный гражданин
    There are two english expressions
    experience & living through
    and their russian counterparts
    опыт & переживание

Опыт is a noun in Rusiian means (skills/knowlege obtained from experience/living) and in english "experience" can olso be a verb. So the best translation of the verb "to experince" could be "получить опыт (пережив/испытав что-то)". But if it's just something you remember then it will be "переживание". E.g. "emotional experience" -"эмоциональное переживание"

Here preffix пере- means crossing/coming over smthn.
    перебежать дорогу - to cross a road running
    переползти дорогу - to cross a road crawling
    переплыть реку - to cross a river swimming

IMHO

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by carperdiem
    I was reading the Russian version of Will to Power (Nietzche), and I thought it 'cool' that Russian say "Experience" like: Пережить.

In this case, it was all talking about: Потому, что все наши, бывшие до сих пор в ходу, ценности сами находят в нем свой последний вывод; потому что нигилизм есть до конца продуманная логика наших великих ценностей и идеалов, -- потому что нам нужно сначала пережить нигилизм, чтобы убедиться в том, какова в сущнсти была ценность этих <<ценностей>> ... Нам нужно когда-нибудь найти новые ценности....

Кстати, this translation is worded in many sentences much different from the English version of the German translation. Oh well, I guess they both MEAN the same thing. The point is, Russians see "living through" something as experiencing it, whereas us Americans don't necessarily equate "living through" with experiencing something. Generally, americans would require a lot less "living through" something to be able to add the пере- prefix.Different sort of perspective that I find favors the Russian mind.
    This could very well be the case, but please keep in mind that the average Russian including muggins here doesn't give it a moment's thought - I'm talking about seeing living through something as experiencing it - we simply don't think about it. Why anyone should ever look for deep philosophical reasons here is just past me.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    This could very well be the case, but please keep in mind that the average Russian including muggins here doesn't give it a moment's thought - I'm talking about seeing living through something as experiencing it - we simply don't think about it. Why anyone should ever look for deep philosophical reasons here is just past me.
    This is simply the case of primary meaning of a word without context colours.