Thread: Advice

Подающий надежды оратор

Advice

Well since nobody posted here yet, I'm going to make a topic for people to post their advice on how to learn Russian in. I'm currently teaching my friend Russian, it's going quite well, and in a few months you might expect him on these forums. Anyway, an advice for today:

When you try to memorize Russian vocab, read it carefully. It's much easier to memorize visually rather than by sound.

It's a simple advice, but it's funny how many people don't follow it and therefore mess up a lot.
    Митьки никого не хотят победить!
    Совсем никого не хотят победить!

Новичок
    I'm glad you mentioned that. I find it important to hear Russian speech, but I like to actually look at the words and associate the sounds with the Russian letters. If I just hear words I'm not familiar with, I tend to associate the sounds with English letters, which I find not as productive in trying to really learn the language.

Почтенный гражданин

__________________________________________________ __________

When I posted messages in this forum I noticed that I remember each new word that I use in posts. I did not need to learn them. I think that it is because new words (for me) was contained in sentenses with complete sense. So my advise would be:

When you are trying to learn new words you should write short sentenses with them and learn these sentenses instead of learning separate words. It will take much less time. It is better to link these sentenses with your own life.
    ------------------------
    Когда я помещал сообщения в этот форум, я заметил, что я запоминаю каждое новое слово, которое использую в сообщениях. Мне не нужно было учить их. Думаю, это потому, что новые слова (для меня) содержались в предложениях с законченным смыслом. Поэтому мой совет таков:

Когда вы пытаетесь выучить новые слова, вам следует написать короткие предложения с ними и учить эти предложения вместо изучения отдельных слов. Это займёт намного меньше времени. Лучше связать эти предложения со своей собственной жизнью.

Новичок
    for me, i have to write it many times
    when i'm watching russian tv , i haven't the time to read new words, i can read only short one and the one i know.
    But i'm a very very beginner

Почтенный гражданин
    How can you watch Russian TV? You have Russian channel in France or you have satellite TV?

Новичок
    i have the satellite TV. On the astra satellite, you can catch the russian channel ORT international, for free.

Почтенный гражданин

y

ORT is the main Russian channel. You have a good ability to see the whole Russian culture. Have you ever seen French films on ORT? French films is very popular in Russia. Especially comedies. Louis de Funes rulezzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!

Подающий надежды оратор
    They have a paid channel, too. NTV, I think.

Yeah, writing them down in a sentence is a good idea, if you know enough words to make a sentence that is.

Новичок
    it's hard to find a place where you can find words and sentence to use it , yes !!! but i try with my book...and my girlfriend too

Подающий надежды оратор
    oh haha. you have a russian girlfriend eh? you're lucky. russian girls are awesome.

(I just visited Russia for a week, OMG so many pretty girls. America cannot even attempt to rival Russia in that)

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton Kuratnik
    oh haha. you have a russian girlfriend eh? you're lucky. russian girls are awesome.

(I just visited Russia for a week, OMG so many pretty girls. America cannot even attempt to rival Russia in that)
    You're right , but America doesn't have the old toothless village ladies either which is also a good thing. Actually never mind. I'm just playing Devil's advocate.
    Bacon and Eggs. A day's work for the chicken and... a lifetime's investment for the pig.

Завсегдатай
    ORT is pay channel, thats why my mom wont order it for me.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Новичок
    yes, i feel lucky to have her, but not only because she's russian

For ORT international, for the moment , on the ASTRA satellite, it's for free for the moment, but perhaps it will change.