Thread: Russian newspapers and magazines

Подающий надежды оратор

Russian newspapers and magazines

I hope this is the right place for my question - I'm currently writing a paper on Russian newspapers and magazines and I was wondering:
    What are the most read, the most well-known newspapers in Russia?
    What about their reputation (tabloid, broadsheet or does this distinction not really exist?)?
    And popular magazines? How are they called and what are they about?

I'd be really glad if you could help me out here a bit, thanks in advance!
    ~ The passive is not to be used. ~

Завсегдатай
    Newspaper http://www.mk.ru
    – слегка желтоватая

Send me a PM if you need me.

Почтенный гражданин
    Может быть ПРАВДА?
    Не плюй в колодец, пригодится водицы, напиться.

Banned

Re: Russian newspapers and magazines

Quote Originally Posted by sinneresse
    What are the most read, the most well-known newspapers in Russia?
    Результаты исследования популярности газет в 2005 году: http://www.adme.ru/adnews/2005/06/10/2924.html

Завсегдатай
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Wait -- do you read these Ramil or are you saying that Russians generally read them? These are actually upscale publications -- I was under the impression that the typical person reads MK, Komsomolskaya Pravda, and Argumenty i Fakty, not business/Western style papers. These are the ones the poster is probably the most interested in. Kommersant is a prominent paper, but I doubt it has the readership that the tabloid-populist ones do. And Gazeta, AFAIK is only online.

And by the way, the submitter cannot read your answers guys -- he doesn't speak Russian!
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    Wait -- do you read these Ramil or are you saying that Russians generally read them? These are actually upscale publications -- I was under the impression that the typical person reads MK, Komsomolskaya Pravda, and Argumenty i Fakty, not business/Western style papers. These are the ones the poster is probably the most interested in. Kommersant is a prominent paper, but I doubt it has the readership that the tabloid-populist ones do. And Gazeta, AFAIK is only online.

And by the way, the submitter cannot read your answers guys -- he doesn't speak Russian!
    I don't read newpapers neither do I watch news on TV.
    I listed these because (it's entirely my own opinion) they are the most reliable concerning financial infomation that I use for my work.
    As for politics - no newspaper in Russia can be called unbiased so reading any doesn't help in understanding what's really going on.

MK, Komsomolskaya Pravda and Aguments & Facts - are being what I call recreational reading or just yellow sheets (to put it bluntly).
    So I cannot help you on what an average Russian citized reads now.
    It's probably 7 дней, Speed Info and other papers of that kind.

And Gazeta, AFAIK is only online.
    Gazeta is printed on paper too. My mistake probably, I don't know whether they are related or not but there is a printed newspaper called "Газета". I think it's their homepage: http://www.gzt.ru/

Властелин
    I don't read newpapers nor(?) do I watch news on TV.
    The ultimate news agency is http://lenta.ru
    Don't waste your money, read news online!
    Lenta.ru has everything you'll ever need to know!
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    I don't read newpapers nor(?) do I watch news on TV.
    neither... I think I'll insist this time. We'll let natives judge though.

Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей

Your impression were right, Бармалей. I think you named most popular ones.
    sinneresse, speaking about the distinction of papers, I think that there are only "more yellow" or "less yellow" ones. Unfortantly I don't read magazines (exept may be "Forbes") so I can't tell you wich is the most popular. I guess it's "7 дней" or other such sh!t.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Подающий надежды оратор
    Thank you everyone for your answers so far!

@ Бармалей Thanks, those appear to be just the newspapers I need!

And she (I'm afraid I'll have to insist ^^) has just started studying Russian, so the alphabet as such is of course no problem but even though I'm able to get a little bit of the meaning I would very much prefer answers other than names of the papers & mags in English if that's possible. Or German, just in case anyone here prefers that.

Anyway, it's true - I'm only looking for the most well-known / most read papers and mags, also I wasn't going to mention newspapers that aren't available 'offline'.

As for magazines, I've already heard about Новый Мир and Знамя (I hope I spelled those correctly) - can somebody perhaps tell me just a little bit about those? Are they well-known?
    ~ The passive is not to be used. ~

Quote Originally Posted by sinneresse
    Thank you everyone for your answers so far!

As for magazines, I've already heard about Новый Мир and Знамя (I hope I spelled those correctly) - can somebody perhaps tell me just a little bit about those? Are they well-known?
    Well, Новый мир was one of the most popular magazine in USSR as it printed works by some authors who was considered unreliable by officials. It was a time of censorship and the New World (it's name in English) was a breath of fresh air. It was a serious and thick (about 1 cm) mag (with soft light blue cover). My parents kept all issues and they took a lot of space on the shelf
    I don't even know whether it's still printed today so I gather that most of its popularity went out with the collapse of USSR.

I only heard of Знамя back then, and I'm not sure either whether it's still printed or not, though.

"Новый мир" is still printed, but in very small amounts - about 2000 copies. I heard the interview with the main editor on radio recently. I don't know about "Знамя", but it's fate is, more likely, the same. These magazines, so popular in the beginning of perestroyka, are almost forgotten now.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Ramil, listen to Vincent! "nor" is correct in your sentence, "neither" isn't.

На днях по почте пришел сюрприз -- «Специальный бесплатный выпуск» ноябрьского номера газеты Аргументы и факты. Оказывается, что она уже десять лет печатается в Америке. Так что, у нас американцев есть возможность преобретать эту газету по подписке. $35 на 6 месяцев или $65 на 13. Это -- скидка, обыкновенная цена $50. Выходит еженедельно, одновременно в Москве и в Нью-Йорке.

Можно оформить подписку на вебсайте www.podpiska.us . или звонить по телефону 1-800-763-7475. Я еще не решил подписаться или нет.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    На днях по почте пришел сюрприз -- «Специальный бесплатный выпуск» ноябрьского номера газеты Аргументы и факты... Я еще не решил подписаться или нет.
    Как-то купил АИФ в дорогу, прочитал и решил больше не покупать. Не понравилась тенденциозность. Я понимаю, что у всех есть свои политические убеждения, но я покупал "факты" и "аргументы", а не пропаганду чьих-то взглядов, блин...
    Вобщем, газета на любителя.

Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    На днях по почте пришел сюрприз -- «Специальный бесплатный выпуск» ноябрьского номера газеты Аргументы и факты. Оказывается, что она уже десять лет печатается в Америке. Так что, у нас американцев есть возможность преобретать эту газету по подписке. $35 на 6 месяцев или $65 на 13. Это -- скидка, обыкновенная цена $50. Выходит еженедельно, одновременно в Москве и в Нью-Йорке.

Можно оформить подписку на вебсайте www.podpiska.us . или звонить по телефону 1-800-763-7475. Я еще не решил подписаться или нет.
    Я догадываюсь, откуда растут ноги у этого бесплатного выпуска:
    http://www.lenizdat.ru/a0/ru/pm1/c-1032330-0.html
    Кстати, насчёт "Аргументов и Фактов". Из многоотиражных общероссийских газет, имхо, эта - самая интересная. Желтизны совсем в меру, всегда есть много интересных материалов и обзоров. Если мне, к примеру, надо скоротать часок в транспорте, я, подходя к газетному лотку, в первую очередь ищу АиФ. Но так как это еженедельник, то он, к сожалению, есть не всегда.

Подающий надежды оратор

lenta.ru

Lenta.ru is fantastic... thanks for the link. I'm only a beginner at Russian so this will be a great resource as I improve.
    Catenaries and dirigibles!

Новичок

Re: Russian newspapers and magazines

[And popular magazines? How are they called and what are they about?

I'd be really glad if you could help me out here a bit, thanks in advance! [/quote]

I would recomend you some internet newspapers Newsru.com, lenta.ru, and ej.ru. also I recomend lib.ru as a free fiction library. the search engine Rambler.ru will help you to find many resources on every subject what you are interested.
    gramota.ru is the site for native and foreing learners of Russian
    Excuse me for my possible mistakes!
    With the best wishes!
    Спасибо за внимание!
    Андрей Tushev

Продолжение дискуссии здесь: http://masterrussian.net/mforum/viewtopic.php?t=14336
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)