Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Bini

Новичок

Russian Bini

HI

I love bini . I been trying to find a recipe to make bini . found a few recipes but not the same as the ones had in russia . Does anybody have good bini recipes . thanks my email is dusty_ink99@hotmail.com

Lauren

Завсегдатай

Re: Russian Bini

Quote Originally Posted by russia03
    HI

I love bini . I been trying to find a recipe to make bini . found a few recipes but not the same as the ones had in russia . Does anybody have good bini recipes . thanks my email is dusty_ink99@hotmail.com

Lauren
    what on earth is bini? bikini?
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

BJ
    Почётный участник

bini ?

Do you think this is supposed to be blini? Aren't they those little pancake thingies? Do they taste nice? I thought they were to eat with caviar?

Завсегдатай

Re: bini ?

Quote Originally Posted by BJ
    Do you think this is supposed to be blini? Aren't they those little pancake thingies? Do they taste nice? I thought they were to eat with caviar?
    Do you eat pancakes with caviar in England? Cos we certainly don't.

BJ
    Почётный участник

Eating caviar

I wouldn't eat caviar if I was starving, on a desert island with nothing else to consume, in the arctic with nothing else to consume, in a space ship with nothing else to consume so no I wouldn't eat caviar with pancakes BUT I thought blinis were pancake type things. So what are they VM? I'm desperate to know now.

BTW the rest of my family who have more taste (or less depending on your point of view) would eat caviar with thin strips of toast. They eat pancakes with sugar and orange juice. But since its the same recipe for pancakes as Yorkshire pudding, I like pancakes and mint sauce

JB
    Старший оракул
    Blini are sort of half way between pancakes and crepes. American pancakes are thicker and lighter and more of a cake like texture. Blini can be eaten with anything you like. Sour cream, jam, caviar, salmon, herring, etc. They are definately yummy.
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Завсегдатай

Re: Eating caviar

Quote Originally Posted by BJ
    I wouldn't eat caviar if I was starving, on a desert island with nothing else to consume, in the arctic with nothing else to consume, in a space ship with nothing else to consume so no I wouldn't eat caviar with pancakes BUT I thought blinis were pancake type things. So what are they VM? I'm desperate to know now.

BTW the rest of my family who have more taste (or less depending on your point of view) would eat caviar with thin strips of toast. They eat pancakes with sugar and orange juice. But since its the same recipe for pancakes as Yorkshire pudding, I like pancakes and mint sauce
    Well, one Cockney chef here in St Pete cooked us some English pancakes with sugar and lemon juice once - they were exactly the same as the Russian blinis. Not to be mixed up with oladyees - those chaps are smaller and much much thicker.
    As for blinis with caviar - it's what the bears that roam our streets eat.

Почтенный гражданин
    Curiously enough, they do sell blini with caviar at the Teremok stands. Those bears must be good regular customers.

Caviar is the nastiness, though. Yaarg salty fish eggs.

Почётный участник
    I like blini with sour cream. If there's no sour cream, sugar or jam is good too. But the difference between what Americans know as pancakes (like you can buy at the Waffle House in any good southern town) and Russian blini is the thickness - pancakes are a lot thicker and cake-like. You can argue with that statement all you want, but it's what I've observed from 15 years of American pancakes and several wonderful Russian friends (in Russia) making blini. I'd never eat either with fish or caviar though.
    Yay! I broke 200 posts!

Старший оракул
    Plebs!
    Blini with caviar ... simply delectable.
    hmm where's the dribbling mouth smiley?

Amazing, really, that I can buy them in my local cafe, when you consider that nobody in Russia ever eats them. Have they laid it on specially for me?! How touching!
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    Amazing, really, that I can buy them in my local cafe, when you consider that nobody in Russia ever eats them. Have they laid it on specially for me?! How touching!
    They laid it on just for you. And the bears

JB
    Старший оракул
    All my relatives (especially all the bears) in Russia insist on serving me LOTS of that yucky red caviar (frequently with blini). Since I'm the guest I have to eat it. But I'll give you a hint on how to survive it, Lindsy. For years I've gagged on the stuff and on several occasions almost hurled onto the table. Now I make sure those slimy little eggs are engulfed in sour cream or butter and I swallow the mess whole then chase it with a beverage. The most important thing is NEVER NEVER bite. If you pop those salty oily eggs in your mouth you will definately hurl!!
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by JB
    All my relatives (especially all the bears) in Russia insist on serving me LOTS of that yucky red caviar (frequently with blini). Since I'm the guest I have to eat it. But I'll give you a hint on how to survive it, Lindsy. For years I've gagged on the stuff and on several occasions almost hurled onto the table. Now I make sure those slimy little eggs are engulfed in sour cream or butter and I swallow the mess whole then chase it with a beverage. The most important thing is NEVER NEVER bite. If you pop those salty oily eggs in your mouth you will definately hurl!!
    This is because we like to feed you your own stereotypes about us. Have you seen Crocodile Dundee? You can live on it, but it tastes like sh*t. The same thing with blinis with caviar. You like to think we like 'em. And don't we all just like reinforcing those idiotic stereotypes? Why? We just love seeing you as charlies, we'd hate it if you wisened up. I'm dead serious about this. This is exactly how many of my countrymen think about it. Behind your backs they often laugh their arses off. Not all of us of course. I, for example, don't. But there are scores of people out there who do.

Завсегдатай
    Plebs!

Yep, they are there for foreigners. I once asked a girl I know who works at чайная ложка if anyone ever orders blinis with caviar and she said nope, no one except for foreigners. no russian has ever ordered blini with caviar at least in her living memory. can I ask you a question? do you wear bobby helmets? those tiny plastic ones? you must, otherwise why the hell would they be selling 'em all over London.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by emka71aln
    I like blini with sour cream. If there's no sour cream, sugar or jam is good too. But the difference between what Americans know as pancakes (like you can buy at the Waffle House in any good southern town) and Russian blini is the thickness - pancakes are a lot thicker and cake-like. You can argue with that statement all you want, but it's what I've observed from 15 years of American pancakes and several wonderful Russian friends (in Russia) making blini. I'd never eat either with fish or caviar though.
    Well, I don't know about your American pancakes, but when a British chef cooked for us his English pancakes with sugar and with lemon juice they were exactly the same thickness and texture as our Russian blinis. That's your normal Russian blinis, but then there's also the yeast dough blinis which are thick and of course there are the so-called oladyees, which are usually smaller in size and can be both thin and, if made with yeast, thick. Then, there's a wealth of morkovnye, kartofelniye etc. oladyees made with carrots, taters, etc. respectively. And they too can vary in thickness. I suspect you know a two three families in Russia and you base your judgement exclusively on their personal culinary preferences. And it simply means that those friends of yours prefer the thin variety but the thick one exists in great abundance it's just that it has never been your luck to run into those who prefer them over the thin ones. I have the opposite problem - most of my friends prefer the thick ones and I just hate them (the thick blinis).

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Plebs!

Yep, they are there for foreigners. I once asked a girl I know who works at чайная ложка if anyone ever orders blinis with caviar and she said nope, no one except for foreigners. no russian has ever ordered blini with caviar at least in her living memory. can I ask you a question? do you wear bobby helmets? those tiny plastic ones? you must, otherwise why the hell would they be selling 'em all over London.
    That's so weird, 'cos I just was so curious about this issue of caviar last week that I flew to Nizhniy Novogord and conducted a casual poll of Russians and discovered that 47/51 people polled enjoy blini with caviar and of those 51 only 2 believed that plastic bobby helmets are all the rage in Britain! And then I took the train to Petersburg went to the Чайная Самовар restaurant and asked the lady behind the counter about the relative rates of foreigners vs. Russians eating blini with caviar, and she said, wow, that's weird, this middle-aged fellow just asked me that, and then tried to pinch my ass! And then I was mugged by a horde of gypsy children who stole all my carefully documented research on the subject. Alas. Увы.

From this experience I learned that it's easier to just make stuff up when discussing things on an internet forum! Boy, if only I'd figured that out before buying my plane ticket!

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Линдзи
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Plebs!

That's so weird, 'cos I just was so curious about this issue of caviar last week that I flew to Nizhniy Novogord and conducted a casual poll of Russians and discovered that 47/51 people polled enjoy blini with caviar and of those 51 only 2 believed that plastic bobby helmets are all the rage in Britain! And then I took the train to Petersburg went to the Чайная Самовар restaurant and asked the lady behind the counter about the relative rates of foreigners vs. Russians eating blini with caviar, and she said, wow, that's weird, this middle-aged fellow just asked me that, and then tried to pinch my ass! And then I was mugged by a horde of gypsy children who stole all my carefully documented research on the subject. Alas. Увы.
    That's a lie. First of all Самовар is masculine, therefore it would've been Чайный Самовар. Secondly there is no such cafe in St Petersburg called Чайный Самовар, but there's a Чайная Ложка chain of cafes which serve blinis. So get your facts straight. Secondly, I have a friend who works at Чайная Ложка whether you like it or not and she told me what I told you in my post. Now, believe that or not it is true and even if you don't believe it it is still true and you've got a nose the length of a telegraph wire from Hong Kong to Liverpool because you're a damn liar, Lindzi. Lie is all you ever do. And what the hell do you know about Russian culture anyway you're just an ignorrant cowgirl from the fly-over country so stick to your cowshed cleaning chores and don't ever I repeat ever flirt with the thought that you can out argue me, the lord of the argument because I got facts solid facts and you got fook all m'lady.

Почтенный гражданин
    Hee. It sure it a good thing you caught me in that lie, VM. Because otherwise some other poster might have believed what I wrote and thought I did all that!

Weirdly enough, though, the чайная самовар is a real restaurant. I used to eat lunch there occasionally. They're a branch of чайная ложка, actually, and I think the poor grammar of their name is supposed to be a joke, albeit a rather stupid one.

Старший оракул
    Lindzi! .. that was just sublime ..

Can anyone put 'egg' and 'face' together to make a well known saying ?
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Властелин
    There's nothing wrong in чайная "Самовар", чайная is not an adjective but a noun here (a tea room) and "Самовар" is it's name.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast