Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for Book: The Holiday Season in Russia

Почтенный гражданин

Re: Question for Book: The Holiday Season in Russia

Thanks for the snowflakes, CoffeeCup! I thought about them just a few days ago. Maybe now I'll try my hand at cutting out those... Though I'm not much of a craftsman... er... -woman.

Alexander Khvylia/Александр Хвыля as Morozko in the film of the same name ("Morozko" or "Father Frost". In the Czeck Republic he is known as "Mrazik" ). After this film he became the most famous Father Frost of the country.

from http://proekt-wms.narod.ru/zvezd/hvylya.htm

"Morozko/Jack Frost" was shown in the USA on the Mystery Science Theatre tv show and elicited a very strange reaction indeed.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058374/
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    Was there a reason that one child was dressed differently? Also the photo you posted, was that one just of the net or of someone you know or of you maybe???
    I think his parents were just more creative than others. There's no other reason for him to be dressed differently, he's not a leading character or anything. And the photo is not mine, I just copied it from somewhere and forgot to put a link in. Sorry.

CoffeeCup, thanks for reminding us about paper snowflakes!
    I prefer not to use the prepared patterns. It's more fun to cut random holes and then to see what you ended up with!
    You can practice using this Flash: http://snowflakes.barkleyus.com/noflash.html
    (if it doesn't start playing just click on "If you are sure you have the Flash 6 plugin, click here". It worked for me)

Here's my attempt. The scissors were uncooperative and it didn't look very promosing, right?
    But the "whole" snowflake turned out to be ok. Looks like a group of little pinguins around a lake in a park (see benches behind them?).

Your snowflakes will look even nicer if you cut bigger holes. Have fun!

starrysky, he looks almost like Dumbledore, does he not?

Почтенный гражданин

Beautiful snowflake, gRomoZeka! And it does look like penguins and benches. I'll definitely try doing them now myself!! And stick 'em to the window-panes. I haven't done this since kindergarten! We now live in a place where our windows do not freeze up and become covered with all sorts of wondeful patterns. Probably it's because there's less humidity in this flat. But I actually miss terribly those times when windows had forests on them! It was just so fantastic and fairy-tale-like and added to the atmosphere.

These are pretty tame -- we used to have a really thick wood.

from http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/sergey-.../234764?page=3

Hmm... Perhaps, they can be done artificially?... If there is one thing that might convince me that the world is beautiful and that we live in the "best of worlds", it might be those snowflakes and patterns on wondow-panes...

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    he looks almost like Dumbledore, does he not?
    Yes, he does... He could make a great Dumbledore! If his nose was thinner and crooked. But don't get me started on Dumbledore, or I'll might start comparing Richard Harris and Michael Gambon,
    or tell you how I cried like a baby all through the last chapters of Book 6. He was one of my favourite characters and I had NO idea what was coming...
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Hanna

@rockzmom, oops I didn't see this thread or I wouldn't have opened the other Christmas thread, sorry!

How interesting to see the New years performance videos. Thanks for posting them! Now we know how you celebrate!

I loved the kids show in the video.
    Interesting with a variation of seasonal celebration that is completely free of Santa and Jesus.

The snowflake outfits where super-cute...
    Russian little girls are surely the queens of hair-decorations, LOL!

(I have remember seeing this hairstyle on TV as a kid and envying the Russian girls their mega-big fluffy ribbons... Good to see this style is still going strong, it's very cute and funny looking.)

Почтенный гражданин

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone! The holidays have crept up on me and caught me unawares -- I've just realised that many folks here must be already busy preparing for the 25th. I've got a deadline tomorrow for a tedius article on sexual dimorphism in deepwater skates of the North Atlantic. So all the shopping and cooking fuss is yet a few days away. And we haven't put up the New Year fir-tree yet. I think we'll just have the small artificial one we've had for years. It's festive enough with fairy lights. About 100 meters in front of my windows, fir-trees are being sold by some guys (under the open sky, naturally). I don't know how their business is going on but I feel a bit sorry for them having to spend nights and days in the car guarding them trees. It's been -30 Celsius these last days. But I like it -- what New Year without snow and frost?

check out http://www.new-2009-year.ru/archives/31

Новичок

коляда

мне нужны cамые красивые русские коляды(текст и музыка) потому, что я ученницa первого курca в университете в Лодзи я полька и делaю я презентацию o Рождестве Христова в Росcии.

Почтенный гражданин

Re: коляда

Quote Originally Posted by stepien1k
    мне нужны cамые красивые русские коляды(текст и музыка) потому, что я ученницa первого курca в университете в Лодзи я полька и делaю я презентацию o Рождестве Христова в Росcии.
    Здесь была такая тема: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14135

Посмотрите также ftp://ftp.predanie.ru/music/Rozhdestven ... Zajaickom/

Однако, всё это исполняется церковными хорами.
    Please correct my English

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12