Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dacha gardens - Russia's hidden food power

Завсегдатай
    Losing the plot... Gardener's fury as he is thrown off his allotment for not growing enough veg | Mail Online

Growing veggies on small land plots leased from local council sounds very similar to Russian dacha gardening.

Hanna
    Allotments is different from a dacha, if I understand the concept of dachas correctly.

They are very small plots of land. I think dachas have more land... (??) And I think there is proper little cottage at the dacha, where you could stay the night, right?
    That is not allowed at the allotment.

You could walk across an allotment in 10-15 seconds. It's maybe 10x10 metres at most.
    People grow vegetables on them.

They were more popular in the past when people had more time and less money and really benefited from growing their own vegetables.

Allotments were let to people by the local authorities, if they were interested in growing their own vegetables. It was mainly used by working class people in larger cities. They spend the day at the allotment and then go home to their flat and sleep there.

The price is quite modest, but the allotments cannot be sold or sublet and if the tenant doesn't use it, they lose the right to rent it.

People could put a very small shed on the allotment to keep their gardening tools in. But it is not allowed to sleep there.

This is more or less a social democratic idea... It made a big change for workers, and later it became a popular hobby for workers living in the cities. It got popular at the same time as social democracy.. SD voters are the traditional users...

When my grandparents got engaged, both their families were against the engagement for various reasons. So they ran away and stayed in shed in an allotment that belonged to someone they knew.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    They are very small plots of land. I think dachas have more land... (??) And I think there is proper little cottage at the dacha, where you could stay the night, right?
    A little bit more, but that's the only real difference. Most land plots held by city dwellers were 20x30 meters or even 20x20, like our family had in Kazakhstan.

And I think there is proper little cottage at the dacha, where you could stay the night, right?
    You are confusing two different types of dacha. In late 19th and early 20th century, the word meant a summer house where you could go out at summer with your family and live there. No one did any gardening there (except for planting some flowers, perhaps). After the Bolshevist revolution, the only people who still had "real" dachas (that is, ones with really habitable cottage used mainly for rest and recreation) were government officials, actors, writers, leading scientists, etc. The defining part of this first type of "dacha" is a real cottage. Later, more people were allowed to have a true dacha, but their number was still limited.

Then the government started giving out small land gardening plots to city inhabitants. The size varied depending on land availability, but they rarely exceeded 800 square meters, the most common size being 600 sq.m. When we lived in Kazakhstan, our family had a 20x20 plot, i.e. 400 square meters ("четыре сотки" in Russian).

Originally, most people never built anything on their plot, except for a small tool shed and an outhouse . Some gardening societies had big common tool sheds where each family had a little closet-like section. And these land plots that were originally intended for gardening were not even called dachas at first, just "огород". Later on, some people started calling them dachas (people love using big words to refer to small things — it is like calling salesman a sales manager or calling a janitor a maintenance engineer ), this use of the word took on, and by 1980, if someone in Moscow told you they had a dacha, you had no idea if the person was speaking about a cottage in a fashionable place with all utilities, phone, and stuff, or if he mean just a plot of land with a little dingy shack on it (or probably even without one).

Now, the defining element of that second type of dachas is that they were used for gardening. Some of them had tiny houses (and their number increased as time went on), but the majority of those were not fit to live in, no matter how pretty or quaint they looked from outside . You could spend there a night or two. Stay for a weekend, perhaps, if you enjoy roughing it.

Of course, later the clear distinction between the two types was lost. But in the Soviet Union, it was quite clear in most cases.

Now, the British allotments we are speaking about are very similar to that second type.

People grow vegetables on them.
    Check!

They were more popular in the past when people had more time and less money and really benefited from growing their own vegetables.
    Check! (I must add that today more and more people in Moscow buy "true" dachas with bigger land plots and proper houses).

It was mainly used by working class people in larger cities.
    Check! (Well, almost. Since teachers and engineers weren't paid much more than simple blue collar workers, and often even less, they were just as happy to get a piece of land where they could do some part-time farming).

hey spend the day at the allotment and then go home to their flat and sleep there.
    Check! (Well, as I mentioned above, sometimes you could stay there for a night during a weekend to spare yourself a trip to the town and back).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12