Thread: Birthdays

Увлечённый спикер

Birthdays

I was just wondering what are some birthday traditions in Russia. For example, is it common to send birthday cards? Do you give presents? Do you visit the person whose birthday it is? Is there a birthday party, and what is it like, and who attends? Do children hand out treats at school? Any other things you do on birthdays?

Почтенный гражданин

Re: Birthdays

Quote Originally Posted by синичка
    I was just wondering what are some birthday traditions in Russia. For example, is it common to send birthday cards? Do you give presents? Do you visit the person whose birthday it is? Is there a birthday party, and what is it like, and who attends? Do children hand out treats at school? Any other things you do on birthdays?
    Birthday is a big day for every kid. Presents, cake, party for friends. Most adults receive cards from friends and family, get presents from co-workers and family. Usually there is a home party. For example, my parents expect closest friends for dinner without a special invitation. But other people prefer to go out.
    Find your inner Bart!

Увлечённый спикер
    I thought that the names day was more important for russians?
    Андрей Димитревич
    Looking to buy Russian wife, 17y/o, blonde, thin and 7ft tall.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Androvsky
    I thought that the names day was more important for russians?
    The names day is only celebrated by the religious few. Most people in Russia can hardly be considered religious (we aren't a secular society for nothing, you know), the names day is of no importance to most Russians. I bet most Russians don't even know what date their names day is - I certainly don't (and couldn't care less).
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Завсегдатай
    Normally people go to a pub or nightclub to celebrate. Sending postcards is not very common, but you're expected to at least email or send an e-card. If you weren't invited, gatecrashing a private party is a big no-no - you will get frogmarched out into the street (possibly with a black eye). As for presents, well, a pat on the back and a casual alright-mate-happy-****-birthday-you-old-sod is will do the trick in most cases.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Увлечённый спикер
    What about candles on birthday cakes... It is customary to have one more candle than your age for good luck?

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by siberiangoddess
    What about candles on birthday cakes... It is customary to have one more candle than your age for good luck?
    No, usually just exact number of candles. But my favorite "Karloson who lives on the roof" said on birthday of his friend: I wish your mother was not so greedy and prepared 5 cakes and 1 candle, then 1 cake and 5 candles.
    DO NOT READ MY SIGNATURE!

Почтенный гражданин
    BTW, just recently I found out that it is very very bad omen to wish happy birthday to somebody in advance, like a day before. Area were I am from that was not a case at all, then some of my new friends in Russia over internet were angrily at me when I wished that hapyy birthday.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioner
    No, usually just exact number of candles. But my favorite "Karloson who lives on the roof" said on birthday of his friend: I wish your mother was not so greedy and prepared 5 cakes and 1 candle, then 1 cake and 5 candles.
    haha, I think it was 8 candles he said, not 5, because Малыш was turining 8 as far as I remember.
    Не плюй в колодец, пригодится водицы, напиться.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Remyisme
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioner
    haha, I think it was 8 candles he said, not 5, because Малыш was turining 8 as far as I remember.
    right, I forgot, before that birthday Karlson asked Malysh when he was caring him to his roof:
    - Сколько тебе лет, говоришь?
    - Семь.
    - А весишь на все восемь.

Почтенный гражданин
    Karlsson p
    Листьев не обожгло, Веток не обломало
    День промыт как стекло, только этого мало

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Normally people go to a pub or nightclub to celebrate. Sending postcards is not very common, but you're expected to at least email or send an e-card. If you weren't invited, gatecrashing a private party is a big no-no - you will get frogmarched out into the street (possibly with a black eye). As for presents, well, a pat on the back and a casual alright-mate-happy-****-birthday-you-old-sod is will do the trick in most cases.
    I hope nobody has taken this seriously

What is a "names day"? Is this something like your day of birth?
    Give someone fire, and you keep them warm for a single night. Set them on fire, and you'll keep them warm for the rest of their life.

No, every name has its day. For example, Michael is on September 29th.That day all Michaels are partying, or at least have a reason to.
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Почтенный гражданин
    Именины is a religious holiday. It is a day dedicated to the saint whose name is the same as the yours. And generally it's a day when this saint has died
    I think it must be the same holiday in Catholycism, am I wrong?

ivy
    Подающий надежды оратор

Birthdays

Quote Originally Posted by Rostova
    Именины is a religious holiday. It is a day dedicated to the saint whose name is the same as the yours. And generally it's a day when this saint has died
    I think it must be the same holiday in Catholycism, am I wrong?
    Yes, Catholics have the same holiday, at least in my country. But it`s not only believers who celebrate their name day, atheists do it as well. When you look into the calendar, you can see what name the day is devoted to and if you know somebody with this name, you are expected to congratulate him/her {if it is not a close relative or friend, a phone call or an email will do}.[/b]
    Жду звездопада -
    давно приготовлен мной
    список желаний.