Thread: рояль в кустах

Почтенный гражданин

рояль в кустах

After seeing the Soviet television movie The Very Same Munchausen, "совершенно случайно" I met the Russian expression "рояль в кустах".
    I found a good analysis of this expression in http://www.gramota.ru/spravka/hardwords/25_270

N. Bereznikova says, among other things,:
    И процентов на 90 уверена - это фраза Горина. Это была пародия на телепередачу.
    It comes from a 1960-s short story, a parody on TV interviews.
    There, a reporter with strained ease “accidentally" interviewed a guy on the street who happened to be a foremost worker (worker winning distinction for initiative and exemplary work?). The word "accidentally"/”quite by chance” is a refrain throughout the text.
    And finally the reporter says: "Да, кстати, вот тут в кустах совершенно случайно оказался рояль! Вы можете нам сыграть что-нибудь!"

В общих чертах, I’ve understood the overall meaning of this long answer.
    And I think that Gorin’s sarcasm is still a living matter in everyday’s life.
    So, when I see all those serious faces on TV or in the newspapers, I, too, should be tempted to say:
    "Серьезное лицо - еще не признак ума. Все глупости на земле делались именно с этим выражением лица. Так что улыбайтесь, господа!"

My question: How popular is the expression рояль в кустах in Russia, nowadays?

Завсегдатай

Re: рояль в кустах

Quote Originally Posted by Vbar
    Very much. It's just a part of Russian language, one of its (commonly used) expressions.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Vbar
    Quite popular. You can see it very often in book reviews by readers of online libraries (lib.aldebaran.ru, fenzin.ru, etc.)

Почтенный гражданин

Thank you, Оля and translationsnmru.

I think that in Italy, too, that expression is rather ‘popular’ and is put into practice in a great variety of cases.
    But I’ve not yet found out ‘one’ equivalent Italian expression: perhaps in our Mediterranean koiné that expression lives in too many variants.

it's funny, I've seen this phenomenon often in Russian movies and serials but I never had a word for it; my own description was outrageous coincidence. These kind of coincidences never occur in western movies buy are apparently common in Russian video sources.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.