Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: WHO GOT NEW PENGUIN ?

  1. #1
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Северо-Восточный Администритивный Округ.
    Posts
    3,471
    Rep Power
    15

    WHO GOT NEW PENGUIN ?

    Can i join the club? can I? can I? Yesterday this kid in my german class was talking about how he got some russian coursebook for christmas and it was just sitting there, and i asked him if i could take a look at it to see how far i am in a course book. Today he brought it, but i dunno, for some reason i didn't read the cover (maybe i was too intruiged by the "Кока-кола, Всегда лучше со лдьом" sign, i dunno) and just started skimming. By 4th period i hit page 95! Genitive of numbers! woot. Now im going to join the penguin club. Are you happy for me jasper ? are you o'l jasp?
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Амстелвэйн, Нидерланды
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    11
    我给你很高兴极了! <- Bad Chinese.
    Army Anti-Strapjes
    Nay, mats jar tripes
    Jasper is my Tartan
    I am a trans-Jert spy
    Jerpty Samaritans
    Pijams are tyrants
    Jana Sperm Tit Arsy

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: WHO GOT NEW PENGUIN ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    Can i join the club? can I? can I? Yesterday this kid in my german class was talking about how he got some russian coursebook for christmas and it was just sitting there, and i asked him if i could take a look at it to see how far i am in a course book. Today he brought it, but i dunno, for some reason i didn't read the cover (maybe i was too intruiged by the "Кока-кола, Всегда лучше со лдьом" sign, i dunno) and just started skimming. By 4th period i hit page 95! Genitive of numbers! woot. Now im going to join the penguin club. Are you happy for me jasper ? are you o'l jasp?
    Thats the main book I use. I'm going to the university to study Russian where the guy you wrote the book is a lecturer. Methinks the book is veeeeeeery khoroshaya
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Северо-Восточный Администритивный Округ.
    Posts
    3,471
    Rep Power
    15
    actually, i dont see why it is any better than any other grammar book i have looked through. The first 4 chapters are just phrases and n00b dialogs anyways. But it does eventually pick up on grammar.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    actually, i dont see why it is any better than any other grammar book i have looked through. The first 4 chapters are just phrases and n00b dialogs anyways. But it does eventually pick up on grammar.
    But it is a book for n00bs, like I was (you still think i am ) when i first got it.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Северо-Восточный Администритивный Округ.
    Posts
    3,471
    Rep Power
    15
    i didn't say that it wasn't supposed to be n00bish, im saying... It is just like every other book that i have come across out there... why does everybody prefer "penguin", to say "joe's russian book"... seems like they both have the same crаp.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

  7. #7
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    China
    Posts
    860
    Rep Power
    11
    Well I don't know if you wanted a serious answer, but my suspicion is that the reason a lot of people here like the book is because of its academic emphasis. It doesn't have chapters like 'How to order a pizza in Russia'.. instead it gives detailed, concise descriptions of the grammatical details. I guess this is perfect for a)self-motivated individual learners b)people who don't need it for business or holiday but just like languages c)people who are linguistically talented and intelligent

    Hmm why the **** did I buy it again?
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

  8. #8
    Eve
    Eve is offline
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    11
    the only thing that puts me off buying a book like this - even though it comes recommended is that as a total newbie to russian I like to hear the sounds I should be making. It could be popular because it is quite a cheap book?

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve
    the only thing that puts me off buying a book like this - even though it comes recommended is that as a total newbie to russian I like to hear the sounds I should be making. It could be popular because it is quite a cheap book?
    I got the New Penguin, and Oxford Take off in Russian. The Oxford one has got loads of audio with it, but the book its pretty crap (its all touristy stuff). Get the New Penguin, and then some audio thing, and just use the audio thing for the learning how to prnounce stuff.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  10. #10
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Канада
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    11
    Yeah, that's what I did. Except for the 'getting the Penguin book' part. Still working on that...

Similar Threads

  1. HELP - passage from New Penguin
    By tohca in forum Audio Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM
  2. Old Penguin vs. new Penguin
    By scriabin in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: October 29th, 2007, 09:47 PM
  3. Finished the New Penguin Course... what next?
    By TATY in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 21st, 2004, 06:48 PM
  4. The OLD Penguin Russian Course
    By Saavedra in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 30th, 2004, 11:13 AM
  5. The New Penguin Russian Course
    By monarc in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: January 7th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary