Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Russian For Dummies

  1. #1
    Guest

    Russian For Dummies

    im reading "Russian For Dummies" so far, it is helping me, is it a good resource?

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    510
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Russian For Dummies

    Quote Originally Posted by YuliaVolkovaFan
    im reading "Russian For Dummies" so far, it is helping me, is it a good resource?
    This one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Phrases-D ... 0470149744

    (c)I am very disappointed with this book. I have been studying Russian since 2003 and am always looking for more speaking Russian books to get someone else's perspective. The entire book is transliterated (written in Latin characters.) .....
    If it is true about total transliteration, I second this dude. The other question is how they deal with palatalized consonants pronunciation and their pronunciation guide as a whole ( нет is pronounced like nyet =dump it now )
    Russian is tough, let’s go shopping!

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Russian For Dummies

    Quote Originally Posted by vox05
    This one?
    The link you provided is for "Russian Phrases for Dummies".
    But in fact "Russian for Dummies" is transliterated too (I have it). Not a single word in Russian! I was shocked, actually.
    It's ok, if you want to pick up some grammar, but absolutely useless for those, who want to learn how to read or speak in Russian.

    That's how they write Russian words and explain the pronunciation:
    muzyka (moo-zih-kuh; music)
    univyersityet (oo-nee-veer-see-tyet; university)
    etc.
    You won't be able to read 'real' Russian (to recognize Russian words without thinking while reading, which comes with practice), because you'll probably forget the Russian alphabet after using this book.

    But the last chapters on Russian traditions and habits are funny and are not far from the truth.

    PS. "Russian for Dummies" on Amazon - link

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    I guess the publishers think that dummies can't learn cyrillic... they do have a point?
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  5. #5
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    510
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    I guess the publishers think that dummies can't learn cyrillic... they do have a point?
    dumbies... maybe

    если нам не врут - (c)"decision to take the Cyrillic alphabet out of the book was made by the publisher, NOT by the authors! Dr. Gettys wasn't happy about the publisher's decision (nor should she have been)"

    however... If they are aimed on speaking and listening and are ignoring reading/writing ( like a phrasebook for tourists ), Cyrillic instead of phonetic transliteration ( unless complemented with IPA notation ) may be even less useless. For dumbies.
    Russian is tough, let’s go shopping!

  6. #6
    Guest

    Re: Russian For Dummies

    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Quote Originally Posted by vox05
    This one?
    The link you provided is for "Russian Phrases for Dummies".
    But in fact "Russian for Dummies" is transliterated too (I have it). Not a single word in Russian! I was shocked, actually.
    It's ok, if you want to pick up some grammar, but absolutely useless for those, who want to learn how to read or speak in Russian.

    That's how they write Russian words and explain the pronunciation:
    muzyka (moo-zih-kuh; music)
    univyersityet (oo-nee-veer-see-tyet; university)
    etc.
    You won't be able to read 'real' Russian (to recognize Russian words without thinking while reading, which comes with practice), because you'll probably forget the Russian alphabet after using this book.

    But the last chapters on Russian traditions and habits are funny and are not far from the truth.

    PS. "Russian for Dummies" on Amazon - link
    i ordered "Russian for dummies" from amazon.com, and the phrases book came with it, i have memorized many letters, from the russian alphabet, but did so before i got the book. what do you recomend i buy to help me learn to speak in every day conversations?

  7. #7
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    I guess the publishers think that dummies can't learn cyrillic... they do have a point?
    my dad bought me this book, to help me, and im not sure if its a good source. i did think it was but now im not sure

  8. #8
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  9. #9
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    this book was one I also asked my dad for, Ill ask him to get me this one. thank-you

  10. #10
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    241
    Rep Power
    9
    Hmmm. I have a copy of "Calculus for Dummies" and I think it's a great book. I bought it when I needed a refresher and it taught me ~90% of what a full calculus textbook would have taught in a tenth of the time. It sounds like the "Russian for Dummies" book is a travesty though. Unless it's marketed exclusively to tourists as a phrasebook, not teaching the Cyrillic alphabet is inexcusable for a Russian text. Yes, it takes time to master, but it doesn't take a particularly long time to get the basic letters down, probably a week or less for most people. And it gave me a great sense of accomplishment the first time I was able to read "нет" and know what that word was. In fact, because I was concentrating so hard on learning the individual letters, I think it was easier for me to learn vocabulary at first.

    As for "The New Penguin Russian Course", I'll heartily agree that it's an excellent book. And, it's quite cheap. I think I got it new for $12. The only thing it really lacks is a CD that you can listen to.

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogs
    Unless it's marketed exclusively to tourists as a phrasebook, not teaching the Cyrillic alphabet is inexcusable for a Russian text.
    They do have a table of Russian alphabet in the first chapter. There are all Cyrillic letters, their English equivalents and pronuciation explained. But that's all.

  12. #12
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    в моей стойке
    Posts
    566
    Rep Power
    8
    Gromozeka, I was wondering, in Russia, is it common to find English transliterated to Cyrillic?
    Correct my mistakes and I will give you +1 internets.

  13. #13
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    510
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by xRoosterx
    I was wondering, in Russia, is it common to find English transliterated to Cyrillic?
    Mostly in proper nouns, sometimes in loanwords if they are not yet part of Russian vocabulary. Transliteration is pronetical ( with th becoming s/z/d/t ) and diphtongs... let alone poor diphtongs ( eg "экзит пул" ). I've never seen transliteration as a pronunciation guide in books for learning English. In other books if author need to write a direct speech or tag/sign written in Latin alphabet, 99% it is in Latin with translation to Russian in the footnote.
    Russian is tough, let’s go shopping!

  14. #14
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Somewhere on the planet
    Posts
    776
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by xRoosterx
    Gromozeka, I was wondering, in Russia, is it common to find English transliterated to Cyrillic?
    Of course I'm not Gromozeka but I'll try answering -). In books of learning english using direct speech written in Latin alphabet as have already said vox05. But in from russian to english conversation books I've seen transliteration way into cyrillic for all non understanding latin alphabet. I saw the same way from russian to spanish conversation books. So I think you can decide to yourself as often it is -). I hope, I answered your question.
    http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...us/mage7yu.jpg
    God granted me the serenity to accept the things
    I cannot change
    Courage to change the things I can
    And wisdom to know the difference

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrabus
    But in from russian to english conversation books I've seen transliteration way into cyrillic for all non understanding latin alphabet. I saw the same way from russian to spanish conversation books.
    "Разговорник" переводится как conversation book? Я думала, это phrase-book.
    Phrase-books are not textbooks for learners, they are just brochures for tourists.
    I saw the cyrillic transliteration only in разговорникs and never in serious учебникs.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  16. #16
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Somewhere on the planet
    Posts
    776
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    "Разговорник" переводится как conversation book? Я думала, это phrase-book.
    Phrase-books are not textbooks for learners, they are just brochures for tourists.
    I saw the cyrillic transliteration only in разговорникs and never in serious учебникs.
    Насколько мне известно правильны оба варианта. Если я не прав, то поправка приветствуется.
    http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...us/mage7yu.jpg
    God granted me the serenity to accept the things
    I cannot change
    Courage to change the things I can
    And wisdom to know the difference

  17. #17
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    в моей стойке
    Posts
    566
    Rep Power
    8
    Thank you all for your answers. I was just wondering
    Correct my mistakes and I will give you +1 internets.

  18. #18
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogs
    As for "The New Penguin Russian Course", I'll heartily agree that it's an excellent book. And, it's quite cheap. I think I got it new for $12. The only thing it really lacks is a CD that you can listen to.
    Excellent book indeed. The best one for learning russian in my opinion. But like you said it's flaw is that it lacks a CD. For a CD based one I recommend the Living Language Complete Beginner Course or their Ultimate Russian Beginner-intermediate Course.
    How I wish, how i wish you were here. Were just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl. Year after Year. Running over the same ground, have we found, same old fear. Wish you were here.

  19. #19
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Russian For Dummies

    I have it too and I hate it. Not only is it all in the Latin alphabet, but they explain adjectives incorrectly! They say ий changes to яя and ее when it is really ний that changes to those...

Similar Threads

  1. French for dummies.
    By Dogboy182 in forum French
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: December 11th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary