Thread: HELP> Im looking for books WITH CD's/ any audio/visiuals?

Новичок

HELP> Im looking for books WITH CD's/ any audio/visiuals?

ive been using the living language 40 lesson, 3 cd set. its good. but not great.
    i need more
    please tell me some good sources.
    im buying penguin, but it hasnt come yet. i am also getting the frequency dictionary.
    but i want AUDIO and maybe DVD visual things.
    hope to get some advice. spasiba

Завсегдатай
    Wow. Full course w/ 3 CDs? Sorry to be blunt, but for heaven's sake sit down and do the damn course. How do you know if a course is "good but not great"(I assume you have no prior language learning experience)? Does Penguin come with a tape now?

You could always get that Pimsleur crap, too, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
    If you want DVDs, try www.ozon.ru.

Новичок
    hahaha/// yeah its good. i use it every night. ive been through the entire thing a few times..
    but it is kinda difficult. sometimes confusing unless you know ALL of the vocabulary.

i think its worth having. but imlooking for some more.
    id like to find somthing that will show me things like words which sound alike etc.

the course i have tends to repeat things, but it is not too strong on russian grammer.
    i have a few books which aregreat forgrammer,but imnotworking therenow.

Новичок
    ive been studying japanese and german as well. ive also taken spanish and stuudy that occasionally. i tried to add chinese. aside from a few words its a whole 'nother world!!
    someone please recoommend A GREAT COURSE!!!

Завсегдатай
    You don't need "a great course" to learn Russian well, what you need is to put some time and effort into something, and even with a fairly crappy "course" you can make something come out of it. If you've been through the Living Language book with 3 CD's a few times, you should certainly know something by now. Try writing something for us in Russian. I've never used the Living Language before but I've flipped through them in bookstores and they seem to go over grammar. To go through all of it just once would seem to take a while. You do try to remember the words they give you, don't you? It's one thing to flip through and look at what they're giving you, another thing to try to memorize it and use it in your own sentences.

A great course for grammar is the Penguin Russian course, which you mentioned you were getting.

You seem to have had similar experiences with Japanese and German as well. Did you try the same approach with them too(i.e. buy a lot of expensive language learning stuff)? How about concentrating on ONE language and learning it fairly decently? If you hop back and forth you usually don't come out with very much from any language.

Почётный участник
    You can usually say "I don't understand" in all of them.
    Let's all become Circumcellions.

Завсегдатай
    Nah, that's too hard. I think you can usually say "Where is the nearest diaper-changing station" in all of them. Or "douche." I remember that from "Learn Languages of Remote Papua New Guinean Tribes Today!"

Почётный участник
    "Learn Languages of Remote Papua New Guinean Tribes Today!"
    That is a good series of courses.

But seriously, all you really need is motivation, a decent book, and to really help, someone to talk to. Penguin is good, but for a course on grammar, it has a couple English grammatical errors itself, which I found a little odd. I'm up to lesson 6 now, woo.
    Let's all become Circumcellions.

Завсегдатай
    We mustn't forget "Learn Aramaic in Your Car 15 Minutes a Day" either. If I happen to run into Jesus, I'll be able to ask him "Can you direct me to the nearest tourist information center?"

Почтенный гражданин
    Yup. Say something in Russian. Like where you live, how old you are, if you have any siblings, what your hobbies are, etc. It's kinda standard, I know, but at least most of it you can't copy from a phrasebook if you don't know any Russian.
    Army Anti-Strapjes
    Nay, mats jar tripes
    Jasper is my Tartan
    I am a trans-Jert spy
    Jerpty Samaritans
    Pijams are tyrants
    Jana Sperm Tit Arsy

Почётный участник
    i have "living language" its got about i think 6 CD's and two books a dictonary and a coursebook...its great its about $30 at the bookstore
    her:"yah hachoo.."
    Me:....."BLESS YOU"

Подающий надежды оратор
    I have Living Language, but it's more like a phrasebook with a few grammar rules thrown in. I use the CDs to practice pronunciation but the only actual grammar book I have right now is on loan from the library.
    And it predates the Cold War...

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Saavedra
    I have Living Language, but it's more like a phrasebook with a few grammar rules thrown in. I use the CDs to practice pronunciation but the only actual grammar book I have right now is on loan from the library.
    And it predates the Cold War...
    Hee, that's ok, I used a lot of old books too when I was learning. Grammar hasn't changed very much for the last couple centuries. There has been some orthography change, but not very much, and I'm assuming your book is at least post-Revolution.