Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Татјана

Почтенный гражданин
    I strongly believe it's Greek. But what's the difference?
    Find your inner Bart!

Почтенный гражданин
    Not a big deal, of course. Just curious.
    Everybody says it comes from the Greek "tatto" and yet a native Greek-speaker says he doesn't know such a word. It can be some Ancient Greek root, of course, absent in the modern language...

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton
    Not a big deal, of course. Just curious.
    Everybody says it comes from the Greek "tatto" and yet a native Greek-speaker says he doesn't know such a word. It can be some Ancient Greek root, of course, absent in the modern language...
    It must be a root of 8000 years ago or something to don't know it . The ancient and modern Greek are not a different language, just many word meanings and grammar forms changed. And I don't know a word called ''tatto''. Tatos, tati, tato is the finishings of the superlative form in both ancient and modern Greek (ex. supreme court: Anotato dikastirio)but I don't think there is not a word tatto itself, except if you spell it wrong.

And who is ''everybody''? You are the only one who mentioned ''tatto'' in this thread .
    Греческо - Έλληνας

Почтенный гражданин
    Try "Татьяна от греческого tatto" at yandex.ru, and you will see.

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton
    Try "Татьяна от греческого tatto" at yandex.ru, and you will see.
    Татьяна: происходит оно от греческого слова tatto - устанавливать, определять, назначать.

I found this, so устанавливать in old Greek is ''τάσσω'' you can call it ''tasso'' , but I could not understand what you where talking about because of the silly English characters. There is a form of ''τάσσω'' which becomes ''τάττω'', it sounds like about ''tatto'' . But when I see tatto and I see the finishing 'o' and not 'ω' I think of an adjective.

However I tried to find the origin of the name Tatiana in the Greek web, and I didn't found even a site where it says that the origin is Greek, as the female finishing -ana is not Greek. I still think the name is Latin .
    Греческо - Έλληνας

Почтенный гражданин
    Yep, now I would vote for Latin too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12