Thread: давид

Подающий надежды оратор

давид

nicknames for Давид?

Почтенный гражданин

Re: давид

Quote Originally Posted by olga
    nicknames for Давид?
    Assuming Olga, that you are not English - In English, just on the name, not so many: -

(1) Dave

Подающий надежды оратор
    я не русская.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by olga
    я не русская.
    Меня также, я не русская. Я живу в Лондоне, и Вас olga?

Завсегдатай
    Unfortunately, I don't know any nicknames for Давид. Dear Mike, you wanted us to correct the "nonsense" that you write! Well, the first correction has nothing to do with your Russian, but simply - I've noticed many Russians adore using English names for some odd reason -the Катя I know constantly refers to herself as Kate, and I noted a Catherine, Natalie, and Lara in the penpals section. Although I have noticed many English-speakers on this forum trying to use Russian(or at least Russian transliterated) names as well, Майк , and as such, the main indicator that someone is not Russian is if they are asking for nickname forms of a fairly uncommon Russian name. At any rate, if they were asking for nicknames of English names, they'd certainly write it in English.

Now to your Russian.
    Меня также
    Although in English you do say "Me too", it doesn't work that way in Russian. Меня is strictly accusative and genitive. Я тоже would be better here.

Я не русская.
    Assuming, dear Mike, that you are male, it is clear to me that you are not a Russian female. I would think that Я не русский is much more appropriate here.

и Вас olga?
    The main problem here is using "Вас", sort of like the way you used Меня earlier. Besides that, use "а" here for "and", because you're expecting a different answer. Я живу в Лондоне, а Вы, olga? I would even simply call her ты, as most Russians aren't very formal on the net.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    I have noticed many English-speakers on this forum trying to use Russian(or at least Russian transliterated) names as well, Майк
    Actually, you'll notice that my nick is 'майк'. It should have been 'Майк', but as a complete beginner, not knowing my arse from my elbow, I didn't notice that I had not used a capital M. майк seems faintly ridiculous now (please spare me your agreement here), but I'm stuck with it!

I did wonder about 'Меня также' and 'Вас'. Thanks Pravit for explaining. As for
    Quote Originally Posted by майк
    Я не русская.
    I didn't understand olga's post, I guess because I thought that she was Russian, so I added, 'Я не русская' as a joke.

<Sorry olga I realise now that I misunderstood you>.

I would even simply call her ты, as most Russians aren't very formal on the net.
    I shall do so in the future! I know, in French, that because I frequently speak with French friends using the tu form, I find it difficult to shift to vous when required, so I’m guarding against that.

Thanks Pravit for taking the trouble to deal with my nonsense in such a detailed and eloquent manner

Hey, btw, in Russia what are the nicknames for Давид

Завсегдатай
    About the capitalization of your name, perhaps you can become like joysof, claim it was intentional, and demand that people write it uncapitalized

BTW, I might add that putting names of people you're addressing in bold is very good forum style. Much better than my "@(name):" at any rate, I'm too lazy.

About Давид, I searched for it on Google(and actually found a page on masterrussian.com) but I got tired and didn't find anything.

Подающий надежды оратор
    понимаю, Майк и правит. I guess in Россия David is not a very common имя?

Властелин
    I don't know any nicknames for Давид and it's indeed not very common but I tried to invent some: Давик, Дав, Давчик. Wonder if they are actually used.
    Edit: My grandma says she knew about a boy Давид who was called Додик. But it could be that it were his parents or his friends who invented it.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Почтенный гражданин
    Hi майк, are you learning Russian?
    Army Anti-Strapjes
    Nay, mats jar tripes
    Jasper is my Tartan
    I am a trans-Jert spy
    Jerpty Samaritans
    Pijams are tyrants
    Jana Sperm Tit Arsy

Завсегдатай
    Surprisingly enough, the MasterRussian.com page with Давид on it is titled "Common Russian Boy's Names." However, I suppose this list was intended for non-Russians who wanted to find a Russian version of their name, which may very well have been quite uncommon

@Jasper: Huh? Alas, your subtle wittiness has eluded even the Prince(who, by the way, is really not all that witty, although he tries).

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper May
    Sorry Jasper May I nearly missed your question. Yes, I am learning Russian - do you have any tips

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper May
    How funny that he should be on a Russian language forum and be learning the SAME language at the SAME time? :P

Завсегдатай
    I would even simply call her ты, as most Russians aren't very formal on the net.
    I would go as far to say as not only the net. I have never been called Вы yet in my almost 2 years of interacting with russian peeps. I think the smart thing would be to call anybody Ты who is

A)Your age (within a certain group, I.E. Teenagers, 20-30, 30-40.)
    B)Your friend
    C)Someone younger than you

and Вы =
    1)Older people who you don't know
    2)Showing 'respect' (probly to older people, or people of higher status than you... I.E. Maybe your boss, or commanding officer in the military).
    3)Or, a group of people, regardless if you are friend with them or not

I remember when i first started talking to russians and they called me Ты, i was like ya ya ya i'm their friend !

But, now i realize calling somone your age Вы is like equal to two 18 year olds meeting each other at a movie theatre or something and saying like "Good day sir, how is the stock market today ?". It's just not cool. Not cool !!!
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Завсегдатай
    Dogboy, the reason noone has ever called you "вы" is because you're a young person. You will be “ты" to everyone until you're older.

A)Your age (within a certain group, I.E. Teenagers, 20-30, 30-40.)
    B)Your friend
    C)Someone younger than you
    This is not entirely correct. It's not polite for two 30 year olds who don't know each other to start calling each other ты. As for someone younger than you, if you're 50 and you speak to a 30 year old man you don't know, you still can't call him ты. However, if you're 17, Dogboy, I'm sure that a 10-year old kid you don't know would still call you ты.

About somebody your age, I don't think there's an actual ты/вы line, but I would imagine you start calling other people your age who you don't know "вы" around the time you go into university or maybe in the early 20s. However, I'm not quite sure. Would any Russians care to comment?

Почтенный гражданин
    I think it has more to do with status/environment than with age when applied to younger people. Among fellow university students we seemed to automatically use "ty" but at work it was generally automatically "vy" even with people my own age.

Of course, this is just based on my own experience, mind you. I might be totally off-base.

JJ
    Властелин
    This is not entirely correct. It's not polite for two 30 year olds who don't know each other to start calling each other ты. As for someone younger than you, if you're 50 and you speak to a 30 year old man you don't know, you still can't call him ты.
    Correct. And it depends on social status. IMHO some male workers such as turners, metalworkers, plumbers, loaders etc from 18 to 60 never call themself вы even if they don't know each other.
    However, if you're 17, Dogboy, I'm sure that a 10-year old kid you don't know would still call you ты.
    Maybe. But in some cases he wouldn't. I'm sure if he would ask for something - time, direction etc - he would preffer to use вы, in these cases it's like english "please".
    About somebody your age, I don't think there's an actual ты/вы line, but I would imagine you start calling other people your age who you don't know "вы" around the time you go into university or maybe in the early 20s.
    Correct.
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Подающий надежды оратор
    For 'Вы' and 'Tы' on the internet, most Russians are comfprtabul using formal/informal pronouns on the internet, but I, and many fellow Russians that I have met on the net, have used 'Вы', because it is more formal, and more polite and gives strangers an idea on how polite you are.

Завсегдатай
    For 'Вы' and 'Tы' on the internet, most Russians are comfprtabul using formal/informal pronouns on the internet, but I, and many fellow Russians that I have met on the net, have used 'Вы', because it is more formal, and more polite and gives strangers an idea on how polite you are.
    Those who remember the days of FidoNet will tell you that ты used to be the only polite form of address on the Net - a 15 year old would say ты to a 40 year old in his posts and it was absolutely OK. Вы was reserved exclusively for heated arguments, when the participants were really really pissed off with each other. If you said Вы in an echo conference you sounded as if you were deliberately distancing yourself or trying to pick up a fight - in both cases you were cruising for a bruising. If that 15 year old met that 40 year old in person at a пойнтовка (a party thrown by your boss node) they'd still be saying ты to each other. As the WWW was becoming popular more and more people with no FidoNet backgrounds were joining in and naturally they were applying the same rules as in the real world. I still cringe inwardly when someone says Вы to me on the Net. Except for business correspondence I always say ты on the Net to everyone regardless of his/her age and I expect people to do the same. I strongly believe that Вы in itself, as used on the Internet, expresses no politeness at all. I would feel annoyed and perhaps even slightlty offended if someone persisted in their use of Вы towards me on the Net.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Новичок
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Those who remember the days of FidoNet will tell you that ты used to be the only polite form of address on the Net - a 15 year old would say ты to a 40 year old in his posts and it was absolutely OK. Вы was reserved exclusively for heated arguments, when the participants were really really pissed off with each other. If you said Вы in an echo conference you sounded as if you were deliberately distancing yourself or trying to pick up a fight - in both cases you were cruising for a bruising. If that 15 year old met that 40 year old in person at a пойнтовка (a party thrown by your boss node) they'd still be saying ты to each other. As the WWW was becoming popular more and more people with no FidoNet backgrounds were joining in and naturally they were applying the same rules as in the real world. I still cringe inwardly when someone says Вы to me on the Net. Except for business correspondence I always say ты on the Net to everyone regardless of his/her age and I expect people to do the same. I strongly believe that Вы in itself, as used on the Internet, expresses no politeness at all. I would feel annoyed and perhaps even slightlty offended if someone persisted in their use of Вы towards me on the Net.
    This is true, but, I usally formaly address myself and most people understand that I mean not to argue. But, VendingMachine, you are correct. I have ran into sertent situations like that But, I also understand What Elena is saying. You are both correct. My parents are Russian, so I asked them, they said that you are both correct. It really depends on you attitude/personality and how you want to make your first impression on strangers

-Yuliya